HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 29, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #20,102 of 21,868
And how do you find Ragnarok is as an amplifier?
Neutral, good control of lows and upper mids, . If you are going to use it for the jack out I would buy something else. Or maybe buy a 4pin XLR to female jack adapter.
As long as you use a balanced dac and the balanced outputs I have nothing to complain about for this amp, takes around 30mins for it to heat up to sound it's best, never turn it of and this is no problem :)

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #20,103 of 21,868
Wait, are you saying you use the speaker taps to a 4pin XLR on the Rag? The Rag outputs the exact same power to both speaker taps and 4pin XLR headphone output. Only difference would be output impedance I guess.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #20,104 of 21,868
Wait, are you saying you use the speaker taps to a 4pin XLR on the Rag? The Rag outputs the exact same power to both speaker taps and 4pin XLR headphone output. Only difference would be output impedance I guess.
I use the 4-pin xlr for headphones =P
To me the output of the headphone jack was sounding good, more control over the lows to upper mids(female vocals) compared to a Magni 2u, but it had something extra that gave me a headache and fatigued me. was using an unbalanced dac and unbalanced headphone jack. problem disappeared when I changed to 4pin xlr.
For all I know a higher output DAC could maybe have fixed it as well. had to crank the volume a lot when i used the he-400i unbalanced and a Modi 2 unbalanced dac.
I have just jumped to the conclusion that if you buy the Ragnarok just to use the jack out you might as well buy something else. but then again, who buys a balanced amp just to use it unbalanced.. its still a nice convenience port for short listens, and waiting on parts to arrive etc.
For all other combos its awesome. I'm happy with it just as a speaker amp.

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #20,105 of 21,868
All of my headphones are balanced except for my k3003 (and bose, and AirPods, lol) so single ended isn't really an issue for me — I can't remember the last time I used the 1/4 inch jack on my Mjolnir 2. Now that my Panache has a banana plugs to 4-pin adapter, it's doing double duty on K1000 and HE-6, and both sound excellent; I will do an a/b when I have the free time.

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #20,106 of 21,868
And how do you find Ragnarok is as an amplifier?

Ragnarok is just great as a headphone amp as well as driving a pair of KEF LS50. Perfect.

As many have pointed out, use the balance connections between Yggy and Rggy and use a 4pin xlr balance cable on your headphones.

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #20,107 of 21,868
Ragnarok is just great as a headphone amp as well as driving a pair of KEF LS50. Perfect.

As many have pointed out, use the balance connections between Yggy and Rggy and use a 4pin xlr balance cable on your headphones.
I was in the market for a new speaker amp and was planning on spending around 1300bucks. Was perfectly happy with my Schiit Magni 2 Uber headphone amp, I knew that if i was going to upgrade it, it would be to a balanced headphone amp.
Then I saw the Ragnarok.
Now it runs my HE-6 headphones and LS50 speakers. for what the amp gives me its crazy cheap.

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #20,109 of 21,868
Holy smokes. I just plugged in my new HE-6. The improvements from HE-400i are vast!
I do know why the sales rep told me the cable was flimsy though. does anyone use the stock cables at all? I bet the SQ is fine and they are super light, cant feel them there. But im kinda afraid they will break from snagging in my shirt sleeve..
The stock HE-6 cable is a a good quality OCC copper. Nothing wrong with it at all. In the early days of the HE-6 some of them started to oxidize and you could see them turning green through the clear insulation, but even that is mostly a cosmetic thing. I don't know if the newer cables still do this. I have my stock one still, I just checked it and it looks fine.

Sep 2, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #20,110 of 21,868
The stock HE-6 cable is a a good quality OCC copper. Nothing wrong with it at all. In the early days of the HE-6 some of them started to oxidize and you could see them turning green through the clear insulation, but even that is mostly a cosmetic thing. I don't know if the newer cables still do this. I have my stock one still, I just checked it and it looks fine.
Just picked up a nordost heimdal 2 cable for cheap. Market for old Hifiman plugs is almost dead :) if it feels sturdier it will make me feel better and it seems easier to clean :wink:

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #20,112 of 21,868
the old HFM plugs are so bad. the stock (balanced) cable actually stays in much better than the aftermarket (SE) cable, which i have to constantly adjust to keep in.

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #20,114 of 21,868
No, but based on class D power and all the other "stuff" it has, I can't imagine it touching the AHB2 given the technology and design behind the AHB2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back