HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 14, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #19,456 of 21,868
Those are Innersound Eros mk2's driven by an Innersound bass amp and Anthem MCA 20. It's an ESL hybrid created by Roger Sanders over a decade ago. The Krell is still on HE-6 duty as I got no room for now. It will have to wait another year.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #19,457 of 21,868
for people who might be interested in buying a firtst watt F1 converted to a F1J - classifieds forum - I might be selling pm me
this one comes one in a blue moon

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #19,461 of 21,868
Just undid my bluetak mod... missed this bass! Gonna keep it without the bluetak

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #19,463 of 21,868
Not sure how it increases bass, and the bluetak mod may sound cleaner with more tight bass but less quantity. With my system an preferences I wanted more bass, although it may be more boomy and some people might not consider it an improvement. Only thing I know is I like it! Liked it before too though.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #19,464 of 21,868
From my experience, if you want more bass from Hifiman headphones you actually benefit from a leaky pad a la Jerg mod with raised rear section.  You can check this by attaching your pads with 3 of the tabs and putting something to hold up the rear section trying to block as little as possible.  There will be a bump around 30-50Hz depending on how open it is.  

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #19,465 of 21,868
Im reading conflicting things on the bass of the he6 vs the Utopia. Some people are saying the bass impact is better on the Utopia and others dont agree? Of course this is assuming theyre both ideally powered.

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #19,466 of 21,868
Do you think the extra bass without the blutak is simply distortion, or what? Blutak for me really seemed to clean things up and present a cleaner, less distorted bass. How else might removing blutak increase bass and overall improve the sound?

Not sure how it increases bass, and the bluetak mod may sound cleaner with more tight bass but less quantity. With my system an preferences I wanted more bass, although it may be more boomy and some people might not consider it an improvement. Only thing I know is I like it! Liked it before too though.

Adding blu-tack to the rim of the driver seals the gap to the cup. This will close the slight opening to the outside air behind the driver and in addition absorb vibrations. The latter is only doing good things, but the seal seems to tighten things up so much that much of the sub bass is lost and in my experience also alters the overall frequency response to the lighter.

However, perceived bass quality and quantity generally go in opposite directions so to speak. If you tighten up the bass it will appear as loosing some of bass also. What you like best is a personal preference: Do you want more, but softer bass, or do you want at tighter bass accepting less? This applies to speakers as well as headphones, but with a speaker setup you can add a subwoffer and have both...

I have (as posted earlier in this thread) applied self adhesive paste (blu-tack etc.) only partly between the driver and cup in order to get the vibration reduction without loosing the bass.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #19,467 of 21,868
Im reading conflicting things on the bass of the he6 vs the Utopia. Some people are saying the bass impact is better on the Utopia and others dont agree? Of course this is assuming theyre both ideally powered.

Utopia are dynamic headphones with a small 4cm driver. It's no surprise the bass response is not even close to HE-6s in articulation, impact, precision, differentiation of bass notes. What Focal did was try to over-emphasize the bass quantity a bit, but the quality suffers. Don't get me wrong Utopia have a very good bass response, but the HE-6s are simply better.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #19,468 of 21,868
Utopia are dynamic headphones with a small 4cm driver. It's no surprise the bass response is not even close to HE-6s in speed, impact, precision, differentiation of bass notes. What Focal did was try to over-emphasize the bass quantity a bit, but the quality suffers. Don't get me wrong Utopia have a very good bass response, but the HE-6s are simply better.

Im still considering if I should get a J2 for the HE-6 or go for the Utopia. I dont want to have any lesser bass quantity so this is helpful.

What amp are you using for the HE-6?

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #19,469 of 21,868
Im still considering if I should get a J2 for the HE-6 or go for the Utopia. I dont want to have any lesser bass quantity so this is helpful.

What amp are you using for the HE-6?

The one in my signature.

The Utopia, except for the lowest sub-bass have all the quantity and more imo. As I said I actually feel bass is a bit boosted. It's the quality and linearity that could be better if it were to match the HE-6s.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #19,470 of 21,868
Ok last night was an understatement. I liked the he-6 with bluetak- I LOVE the he-6 without. But it was a pain in the ass taking it out. Try at your own risk...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back