HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 11, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #19,411 of 21,868
Finally listening to my First Watt J2 with HE6. Listened for a couple of hours switching back n forth, volume matching as much as possible. The bass response and soundstage improves noticeably compared to my M11. I wouldn't say it's night and day though. The First Watt is just a better amp compared to the M11 amp section. This headphones do scale quite well. But is it worth keeping the First Watt? We will see in a few weeks, need to re-listen to the favorite albums carefully. 

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #19,412 of 21,868
How much do you need to spend on chain for he6 to surpass utopia?

Not counting the Rednet since that belongs to @Clemmaster, about 10k. On the brightside, all I need to do is buy speakers and nothing else.

Nov 11, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #19,413 of 21,868
Well, HE-6 will be with me for the rest of my life, as my chain slowly improves. I like them a lot now, and I'm delighted that they will scale. I'm curious if you've compared your chain with the HE-6 to the Orpheus successor.

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #19,414 of 21,868
  Finally listening to my First Watt J2 with HE6.  But is it worth keeping the First Watt? We will see in a few weeks, need to re-listen to the favorite albums carefully. 

O course it is ! This is First Watt stuff we are talking about 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #19,415 of 21,868
To me the HE-6 is a keeper for many reasons, but one important point is that it performs at a top high end level without the price tag normally associated with such a performance. The overall tonal balance is obviously very difficult to get right with a full size headphone, but with modifications the HE-6 can get you there. And you don't need a separate headphone amp for it, which saves even more money (considering an audiophile already has a high quality speaker amp). This is my philosophy and goal: getting close to the best there is, but paying only a fraction for it - and to me the HE-6 does exactly that.

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #19,416 of 21,868
Talking about scalability, there is currently a First Watt F6 Amp on e-bay that I am eyeing, although I am not sure I am going to pull the trigger on it, because I do not know how to justify it at the asking price ($2500), as an amp I shall use exclusively with the He-6.

Does anyone know how that amp would fare with normal speakers that require, say, 200-250 watts per channel at 8 Ohms, as many of current speakers do  (i.e. in case I would like to use it for normal speakers too?).

I already have a good Bryston 2b LP amp currently driving the He-6, and it does a good job at it, and I like its smaller form factor, as compared to the First Watt F6, but I wonder whether anyone who has compared side by side, the performances with the He-6, of the Bryston 2b LP and the First Watt F6, would share their impressions.  If one is better than the other, then by what margin?

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #19,417 of 21,868
To me the HE-6 is a keeper for many reasons, but one important point is that it performs at a top high end level without the price tag normally associated with such a performance. The overall tonal balance is obviously very difficult to get right with a full size headphone, but with modifications the HE-6 can get you there. And you don't need a separate headphone amp for it, which saves even more money (considering an audiophile already has a high quality speaker amp). This is my philosophy and goal: getting close to the best there is, but paying only a fraction for it - and to me the HE-6 does exactly that.

I just applied the blu-tack mod to the drivers. The initial suggestion was that it would tighten the bass, but I am finding it reduces distortion quite a bit and benefits the whole frequency range. Very worthwhile if you are careful with the wiring while applying and cleaning up.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #19,418 of 21,868
  Talking about scalability, there is currently a First Watt F6 Amp on e-bay that I am eyeing, although I am not sure I am going to pull the trigger on it, because I do not know how to justify it at the asking price ($2500), as an amp I shall use exclusively with the He-6.

Does anyone know how that amp would fare with normal speakers that require, say, 200-250 watts per channel at 8 Ohms, as many of current speakers do  (i.e. in case I would like to use it for normal speakers too?).

I already have a good Bryston 2b LP amp currently driving the He-6, and it does a good job at it, and I like its smaller form factor, as compared to the First Watt F6, but I wonder whether anyone who has compared side by side, the performances with the He-6, of the Bryston 2b LP and the First Watt F6, would share their impressions.  If one is better than the other, then by what margin?

Thanks.

I have done extensive research before buying the First Watt since I plan to get speakers soon as well. The suggestion from Nelson Pass himself on different forums is to get speakers with >85 dB sensitivity. Among the big brands, Klipsch speakers fit the bill I think.  If your listening space is large I would be cautious getting a First Watt amp, they are more for critical listening at normal volumes. I will be using studio monitors in a small home office so I am fine.

But then again, on many youtube reviews people have driven power hungry speakers with First Watt amps and they loved it. YMMV I guess. 

Also, lkeep an eye out at renohifi for deals on lightly used first watt amps. That's where I got mine from:

http://www.renohifi.com/FirstUsed/FirstUsedInStock.htm

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #19,419 of 21,868

I have done extensive research before buying the First Watt since I plan to get speakers soon as well. The suggestion from Nelson Pass himself on different forums is to get speakers with >85 dB sensitivity. Among the big brands, Klipsch speakers fit the bill I think.  If your listening space is large I would be cautious getting a First Watt amp, they are more for critical listening at normal volumes. I will be using studio monitors in a small home office so I am fine.

But then again, on many youtube reviews people have driven power hungry speakers with First Watt amps and they loved it. YMMV I guess. 

Also, lkeep an eye out at renohifi for deals on lightly used first watt amps. That's where I got mine from:

http://www.renohifi.com/FirstUsed/FirstUsedInStock.htm

Thanks, Rockin.., The link is very useful, and will hopefully come in handy one day...  Regarding the speakers, I currently use many Polk audio LSIM 8-0hm speakers, which are all rated at 88 db sensitivity.  Recommended power for those I own run between 200 to 250 watts.  I still cannot fully assess how well a First Watt amp will fare with these, but I am very grateful for your input.

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #19,420 of 21,868
  Thanks, Rockin.., The link is very useful, and will hopefully come in handy one day...  Regarding the speakers, I currently use many Polk audio LSIM 8-0hm speakers, which are all rated at 88 db sensitivity.  Recommended power for those I own run between 200 to 250 watts.  I still cannot fully assess how well a First Watt amp will fare with these, but I am very grateful for your input.

Probably better off with a Pass Labs: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649254214-bc-acoustique-362d-pass-labs-int-30-on-a-beer-budgetmaybe-either-way-an-incredible-value/

Seems affordable. I've never seen one drop to that low of a price.

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #19,422 of 21,868

Probably better off with a Pass Labs: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649254214-bc-acoustique-362d-pass-labs-int-30-on-a-beer-budgetmaybe-either-way-an-incredible-value/

Seems affordable. I've never seen one drop to that low of a price.

Thanks for the link, ohhgourami :  However, the item on sale there is actually not the pass labs unit, but another amp called the "BC Acoustique 362D."  The title seems to suggest that the "BC Acoustique 362D" is equivalent, or, at the very least, comparable, to the Pass labs Int 30, but this is what the seller also says in the "fine print" on the page:

"Now I know my titles are kinda kitchy but Do I really think the 362 is on par with one of my fave amps the PASS int 30, Probably not, its certainly not as prestigious and frankly I have never did an A B comparison but for less then 1/3th the INT 30s cost.and 1/4th of the new INT 60 Not to mention its flexibility and modern forward thinking. I think the BC 362 D is a real hidden Jewel."

Is this claim valid or is it merely hype? If you  are familiar with the BC Acoustique 362D, could you kindly comment on the reliability of the comparison and the claim?

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #19,423 of 21,868
I've owned a 30A and it is, without hype, an AMAZING amp.  It's better than one would think it is despite the hype.  Pass builds really, really good amps and doesn't waste money on fancy face plates or marketing.  He keeps costs low to help his customers and he sells a lot of amps (vs someone like "BC Acoustique" - who is that?!) so he can get parts for less based on volume.

Kitchey ad?  I agree.  Pass: there is no substitute, at least in my experience.  FirstWATT is a company with a similar model to PASS: efficient and customer focused.  Flashy ads on CAM don't change anything.

At least, that's my 2 cents for the value of the paper it's written on :)

Nov 12, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #19,424 of 21,868
I just applied the blu-tack mod to the drivers. The initial suggestion was that it would tighten the bass, but I am finding it reduces distortion quite a bit and benefits the whole frequency range. Very worthwhile if you are careful with the wiring while applying and cleaning up.
Exactly! That's what I suggested earlier in this thread and why I have done the blu-tack mod. However, I have only done it partially in order not to loose sub bass quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back