HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 25, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #17,671 of 21,868
Wealth of information in this thread! 

Is there a current consensus on the best grill type and felt adhesive?

I am looking for a felt adhesive that can be removed easily without residue, but still stay on as long as it's not removed by hand (similar to a 3M material) so I can remove it just in case I need to send it in for warranty service.

Also is the template for the fuzzor mod on the first page the best template or is there a revised V2?

Very excited to do this mod hopefully it will change the sound a bit better

Thank you all!

No felt on the driver. Use my template a few posts up for felt ring to put in the inside of audeze Vegan pads.

Sep 25, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #17,673 of 21,868
Ah so I don't need to buy adhesive felt!

Did the felt ring mod + Vegan pads replace the fuzzor mod?

Do you have a link for what felt you used for the inside lining?

I prefer my mod over jerg's fuzzor. I used the standard adhesive creatology felt sold at Michael's.

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #17,674 of 21,868
Im set for now - the hifiman HE6 is my go to can , I hope I can hold off upgardes for a long time . So maybe again in 4 years ill revamp my system LOL. I just need to get a back up HE6 .

Sep 26, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #17,676 of 21,868

is the felt ring mod reversible/leaves no residue?

you are like the HE6 expert now in my book.

The felt I use leaves no residue. Yeah, of course completely reversible.

Also do the blutack mod which seals the driver to the housing.

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #17,678 of 21,868

Remove rear foam+regrill
blutack mod
audeze pad
ring felt mod

am i missing anything?

That seems a pretty complete list to me. I didn't bother with the regrill - I removed the existing grill and left it open. You don't get a more open grill than none at all. Just take care with the connecting wires when handling the headphone.

The Audeze vegan pads work best to my ears.

For comfort, I use a seat belt protector over the headband. Helps distribute the weight evenly over my bald + pointy head.

Listening to Alison Krauss and Melody Gardot on my HE6 right now - fed from my WA5. Really lovely sound with the Takatsuki tubes
smile.gif

Sep 26, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #17,679 of 21,868
Thx ohhgourami just when i thought HE-6 could not get any better it has did blutack ,vegan pads with felt mod from the template you provided and took off grills today .The enjoyment factor just stepped up a level .

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #17,680 of 21,868
Now that I have a speaker amp, I have a good reason to lend home some speakers.
My local dealer claim I would need to increase my budget to around 10k to get speakers as good as the headphones. 
I had a listen to alot of "budget" Dynaudio and Sonus speakers, around the 2-5k mark. None sounded as clear as the HE-6. 

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #17,681 of 21,868
My local dealer claim I would need to increase my budget to around 10k to get speakers as good as the headphones. 
I had a listen to alot of "budget" Dynaudio and Sonus speakers, around the 2-5k mark. None sounded as clear as the HE-6. 

Isn`t it amazing? My speaker system now exists mostly as inactive furniture; it can`t really come close to what my HE-6 brings . . .

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #17,682 of 21,868

or maybe a pair of MGs? 
smile.gif

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #17,684 of 21,868

Yeah, listening to music through loudspeakers as opposed to headphones takes a little time if you haven't used speakers in a while.

There is another thing at play here for the fact the HE-6 are planar magnetiic drivers & the speakers you've listened to use dynamic drivers. For the most part planars have a "faster" response time then dynamics do..
You might want to see if you can try some planar speakers like the Magnepans to see if the sound characteristics are closer to HE-6

Several years ago when I first listened to tthe HE-4 one of the first things I noticed was how they reminded me of my Magneplanar 2.7QR loudspeakers in terms of how "open" sounding they were. I had been using a set of Denon D5000 that immediately became unlistenable after hearing the HE-4. The Denons used dynamic drivers

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #17,685 of 21,868
Yeah loudspeakers are obviously a different experience. I prefer it over headphones. But I cant afford a 10k setup! Nor do I live in a house so I can play as loud as I feel like. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back