HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 26, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #17,686 of 21,868
+1 for Magnepan. They're less expensive than you might think FredrikT92. I actually think they're one of the best deals in audio, period. ELAC makes some pretty insane stuff too (on both sides of the budget spectrum).

Sep 26, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #17,687 of 21,868
  Yeah loudspeakers are obviously a different experience. I prefer it over headphones. But I cant afford a 10k setup! Nor do I live in a house so I can play as loud as I feel like. 

Oh, now I see! Buy the HE-6. Then buy a power amp to drive them. Wait, I should get some speakers too, seeing I've got the amp. Darn, I should also start looking for a house to enjoy the speakers. "Sorry about your wallet" seems a bit of an understatement at this point.
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #17,688 of 21,868
The evolution of a hifier I guess :D
I read that the Magnepan need a subwoofer else the bass is not the best. 

Still havent gotten my BTG cable which is very sad. 
How is the imaging on HE-6 with fuzzor vs ohhgourami's mod? It kinda sucks to remove the fuzzor, cause it was kinda pain the butt to do. 

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #17,689 of 21,868

How is the imaging on HE-6 with fuzzor vs ohhgourami's mod? It kinda sucks to remove the fuzzor, cause it was kinda pain the butt to do. 

Do it on one side first.

Sep 27, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #17,690 of 21,868

Ohhgourami's mod is much better for the HE-6. Fuzzor resulted in some clarity loss and doesn't really solve the problem. I just compared both this week.

On the Maggies, it depends how much bass you like. If you're expecting a booming theater sound, then they will be light. If you want tight, reference bass, they will get it done. Is it the best I've heard? No. But it is still very good. Hard to complain about much for the price. Most reasonable comparisons cost 3-4 times what they do. 3d imaging is just stunning. There are tons of folks who know way more about this than me though.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #17,691 of 21,868
I was also told that my HE-6 would be better than my Martin Logan (hybrid) electrostat speakers and they were right. I think one of the important reasons is that with speakers your room becomes a part of the sound system, and unless you have a dedicated room with all sorts of dampening, then headphones like HE-6 will sound better.

If you want to get speakers and want both the speed of planars and the bass weight of dynamics, then Martin Logan offers quite a few models that matches that bill.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #17,692 of 21,868
Yeah ive heard some electrostat-hybrids from Sanders sound systems. They cost 130k NOK tho...
But they was pretty good, driven by a First Watt F5 Turbo. If ill get some speakers ill get them from Doxa/Seland Audio.
Their speakers are terrific

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #17,693 of 21,868
  I was also told that my HE-6 would be better than my Martin Logan (hybrid) electrostat speakers and they were right. I think one of the important reasons is that with speakers your room becomes a part of the sound system, and unless you have a dedicated room with all sorts of dampening, then headphones like HE-6 will sound better.

If you want to get speakers and want both the speed of planars and the bass weight of dynamics, then Martin Logan offers quite a few models that matches that bill.

While there're some merit to that statement, it's really comparing apple to orange.  There're certain things HPs, even HE-6, can't do as well as a good 2.1 setup.  However, I do love my HE-6 too.  
beerchug.gif

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #17,694 of 21,868
We agree that comparing speakers to headphones is like apples to oranges. However, in terms of resolution, (perceived) frequency response and many other core hifi qualities I think it's possible to compare. For instance: I found it easy to pick up that a particular singer in a large orchestra & chorus setup was recorded separately from the others with HE-6. After HE-6 "told me", I could also hear it one LCD-2 and the speakers, but it was much more apparent with HE-6.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #17,695 of 21,868

While I thought that I prefered the HE-6 with no damping or grille on the outer side,I decided that leaving this
side completely open is actually too much of a good thing in the music I listen to. If a big open acoustic is present in the recording (& your playback sytem can reach it) having nothing on this side leads to a slightl unnecessary hardness to the notes played.

All I needed to do was to place some of the smallest shelfliner pieces on the existing plastic grille retainer rings & place them back in place where they sat holding the original grilles in place (No damping underneath). I not exactly sure why this doesn't appear to cutting back the level of openess other than it may be slightly restricting the actual amount of air being pushed through the drivers when music is playing.

I dont know what the results would be if you're listening to non-acoustic music,but Im really enjoying the HE-6's clarity in the Orchestral music that I listen to. I have no damping of any kind sitting on the drivers on either side.

I think if you're having an imaging or clarity problems you more than likely need to address it elsewhere as these headphones are only as good (& in many cases,better) than what you have in front of them.

(I get a pretty good chuckle at what a lot of people try to "fix" in their headphones, & the obviously flawed things they can't hear or ignore in some well known headphones)

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #17,696 of 21,868
We agree that comparing speakers to headphones is like apples to oranges. However, in terms of resolution, (perceived) frequency response and many other core hifi qualities I think it's possible to compare. For instance: I found it easy to pick up that a particular singer in a large orchestra & chorus setup was recorded separately from the others with HE-6. After HE-6 "told me", I could also hear it one LCD-2 and the speakers, but it was much more apparent with HE-6.

+1.  
In terms of resolution, HE-6 is quite amazing.  It's almost neck to neck with HD800, IMO.  For a set of speakers with that kind of performance, you will have to pay dearly.

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #17,698 of 21,868
  Oh, now I see! Buy the HE-6. Then buy a power amp to drive them. Wait, I should get some speakers too, seeing I've got the amp. Darn, I should also start looking for a house to enjoy the speakers. "Sorry about your wallet" seems a bit of an understatement at this point.
tongue.gif

Much better to build the man cave first, then add your toys later right?
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #17,699 of 21,868
@ohhgourami  So I think I found something kind of huge!  Your idea of covering the inside of the Audeze velour pads had me thinking why does that work?  Then I realized that,similar to the fuzzor mod,  you are trying to get rid of hard reflective surfaces.  The leather isn't that hard but it still will create unwanted reflections.  I was rummaging around with my modding materials and stumbled on an old mouse pad.  I got thinking...what if I used rubber to dampen the outside of the cups between the grill and driver?  I tried it with ~1/8 inch strip of rubber, enough to cover the plastic but still be able to put the grills back on.  I put them on and WOW!

I had been using the stock grills because the "open grills" made the treble hotter and more etched.  After this mod, the open grills sound fantastic and the treble is soooo smooth and realistic.  Also, due to less reflections, there is an added benefit of a clearer picture and increased resolution.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Edit:  Just to emphasize how much of a difference this makes, I had been using the foam inserts from my Beyer DT880s to take the treble edge off.  After this mod, I took those things out!  

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #17,700 of 21,868
  @ohhgourami  So I think I found something kind of huge!  Your idea of covering the inside of the Audeze velour pads had me thinking why does that work?  Then I realized that,similar to the fuzzor mod,  you are trying to get rid of hard reflective surfaces.  The leather isn't that hard but it still will create unwanted reflections.  I was rummaging around with my modding materials and stumbled on an old mouse pad.  I got thinking...what if I used rubber to dampen the outside of the cups between the grill and driver?  I tried it with ~1/8 inch strip of rubber, enough to cover the plastic but still be able to put the grills back on.  I put them on and WOW!

I had been using the stock grills because the "open grills" made the treble hotter and more etched.  After this mod, the open grills sound fantastic and the treble is soooo smooth and realistic.  Also, due to less reflections, there is an added benefit of a clearer picture and increased resolution.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Edit:  Just to emphasize how much of a difference this makes, I had been using the foam inserts from my Beyer DT880s to take the treble edge off.  After this mod, I took those things out!  

Got a pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back