HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 29, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #17,716 of 21,860
@ohhgourami
****ty phone pics but you get the idea...

This piece was slightly too thick...

Old mouse pad...

I just did this mod with some Creatology foam. Very nice results. Reduced treble glare from ringing in the outer cup allowed me to pull pads out as well. Better clarity and overall tone now. Highly recommended!!

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #17,717 of 21,860
I'm curious , if you decide you are going to add damping instead of using Blu-tac why not use something that's a bit more efficient , specifically designed for damping & probably much easier to apply like dBNeutralizer sheets from Herbies Audio Lab.

The sheets are available with adhesive already applied to 1 side . All that needs to be done is to cut strips or circles from the sheet then peel off the sheet covering the adhesive side and apply it to the desired placement.I used some of the heavier version of these sheets on my HD800.

I love using Herbie stuff at various places throughout my audio system. I'm using "footers" & "rollerballs" under just about every component I'm using.

Just a suggestion ! (Order a sheet or two & see if you'll go back to using something you have to form; It results in a much "cleaner" installation.)

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #17,719 of 21,860
  So i printed out your outline for the audeze pad, i bought the creatology adhesive fabric.

How do I go about doing the process?

Do I tape the printout to the fabric and cut it out?

Also do I remove the paper from the fabric so it sticks to the audeze pad?

thank you in advance

Yup, trace and cut is the name of the game.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #17,720 of 21,860

So i printed out your outline for the audeze pad, i bought the creatology adhesive fabric.

How do I go about doing the process?

Do I tape the printout to the fabric and cut it out?

Also do I remove the paper from the fabric so it sticks to the audeze pad?

thank you in advance

Cut out the template and make sure it matches for size first. Then tape the printout down on one side and trace around it on the paper side of the felt. Scissors for the outside and X-acto knife on the inside (or both, if you prefer). Remove the plastic ring from the Audeze pad and turn the whole pad inside out. The pleather should be fully exposed and as flat as possible. Remove the paper to expose the adhesive and carefully stick it on, ensuring the inner rim of the pad and the felt line up as closely as possible. Patch any pleather areas still exposed as neatly as possible, if necessary. Flip the pad right-side-out, reinsert the ring, and repeat on the other side.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #17,721 of 21,860
I'm curious , if you decide you are going to add damping instead of using Blu-tac why not use something that's a bit more efficient , specifically designed for damping & probably much easier to apply like dBNeutralizer sheets from Herbies Audio Lab.

The sheets are available with adhesive already applied to 1 side . All that needs to be done is to cut strips or circles from the sheet then peel off the sheet covering the adhesive side and apply it to the desired placement.I used some of the heavier version of these sheets on my HD800.

I love using Herbie stuff at various places throughout my audio system. I'm using "footers" & "rollerballs" under just about every component I'm using.

Just a suggestion ! (Order a sheet or two & see if you'll go back to using something you have to form; It results in a much "cleaner" installation.)

Cool, I've never heard of it!  I used the mouse pad simply because it was there.  Might be a freak accident but HOLY SCHIIT!  I'm using stock pads now because the Audeze pads elevate the 3-5kHz area and make things plastic sounding.  Ohhgourami knows how crazy this is for me becuase I'm always complaining about treble, but no complaints here.  Just ridiculously beautiful sound!  

I highly recommend people go to Circuit City or a computer supply place and pick up a cheap rubber mouse pad.  The one I used is ~7mm thick for reference.  Super easy to install.

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #17,722 of 21,860
Cool, I've never heard of it!  I used the mouse pad simply because it was there.  Might be a freak accident but HOLY SCHIIT!  I'm using stock pads now because the Audeze pads elevate the 3-5kHz area and make things plastic sounding.  Ohhgourami knows how crazy this is for me becuase I'm always complaining about treble, but no complaints here.  Just ridiculously beautiful sound!  

I highly recommend people go to Circuit City or a computer supply place and pick up a cheap rubber mouse pad.  The one I used is ~7mm thick for reference.  Super easy to install.

Funny because the 3-5khz area is where all the magic happens for me. Anything with a dip in that area would sound very boring to me. Like the HE1K.

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #17,723 of 21,860
Funny because the 3-5khz area is where all the magic happens for me. Anything with a dip in that area would sound very boring to me. Like the HE1K.

Oh I know exactly what you mean.  There is this presence that pulls you in with the Audeze pads.  However, the Hifiman velour pads provide the most tonally correct sound to me IMO.  The issue for me is that vocals can be pushed too far forward and things like acoustic instruments and claps won't sound quite right.

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #17,724 of 21,860
  Curious if anyone else with the HE6 bought the Lycan?  I am sitting here listening and honestly much much better than I ever expected.  Introductory price with the v5 opamp was only $249.  Volume is sitting under 11.

http://www.ssaudio.com.au/lycan-op-amp-test-bench/

Can you please post some detailed impressions?

Thanks

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #17,725 of 21,860

I tend to agree - that's where the magic is. I can only speak to the sound changes with the Creatology foam. I wouldn't describe it as a "dip" in the FR, really. My best guess is that it is managing that big secondary peak in the square wave response a little bit better. 

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #17,727 of 21,860
Just finished the Blutack mod. Thanks for the tips @ohhgourami. Nice improvement in the speed and tightness.

Also, let me say, I hate working with Blutack. I think this about sums it up, right here:

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #17,728 of 21,860
Cut out the template and make sure it matches for size first. Then tape the printout down on one side and trace around it on the paper side of the felt. Scissors for the outside and X-acto knife on the inside (or both, if you prefer). Remove the plastic ring from the Audeze pad and turn the whole pad inside out. The pleather should be fully exposed and as flat as possible. Remove the paper to expose the adhesive and carefully stick it on, ensuring the inner rim of the pad and the felt line up as closely as possible. Patch any pleather areas still exposed as neatly as possible, if necessary. Flip the pad right-side-out, reinsert the ring, and repeat on the other side.

So after flipping it inside out, I cover all the pleather areas not just the inner ring right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back