HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 6, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #15,856 of 21,868
Oh I was using the old Sony AVReceiver 5.1 channel but broken since last November, I am in search of new cheap amp (running out of money due to other investment).
I really want Yamaha A-S3000SL but not now, can't afford.

You've probably heard this before, but look for a vintage amp from the late 1970s and drive your headphone off the speaker taps. You can get into a vintage amp for less than a couple hundred dollars US.

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #15,858 of 21,868
Just for fun. Driving the HE6 with the Schiit Magni! 

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #15,860 of 21,868
The headband on my HE-6 broke today
frown.gif

What have you guys here done for replacements? I heard Hifiman requires sending them back for replacement, but that's rather expensive and I'm in Canada and I really really don't want to wind up paying import taxes and duties again.

Also, are the screws glued down? They won't budge (and yes I've been using properly sized screwdrivers) and are already starting to strip.

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #15,861 of 21,868
frown.gif

What have you guys here done for replacements? I heard Hifiman requires sending them back for replacement, but that's rather expensive and I'm in Canada and I really really don't want to wind up paying import taxes and duties again.

Also, are the screws glued down? They won't budge (and yes I've been using properly sized screwdrivers) and are already starting to strip.

Sorry to hear about your headband!  
Your hinge looks different than mine..  my new HE6 has plastic o-rings sandwiching the metal piece that broke on yours..  did they change something on the headband yoke assembly recently?

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #15,863 of 21,868
  aww man that was painful to see 
frown.gif

can you provide one or two close ups ?

if you click the picture in my post it should zoom in a bit.

Sorry to hear about your headband!  
Your hinge looks different than mine..  my new HE6 has plastic o-rings sandwiching the metal piece that broke on yours..  did they change something on the headband yoke assembly recently?

Maybe? Mine is quite old, possibly from the original run.

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #15,865 of 21,868
frown.gif

DOOOOD, that sucks.  Please keep us informed of the process.  I just ordered those HE-560 rings from Hifiman, and it arrived in a couple of days.  They should provide a new headband structure, for free or cheap.  Tell them to send it `gift`, and if they refuse ship it to me in Tokyo and I`ll send it to you as a gift.  I never get hit with customs here.  

I got Audeze Vegan Pads, black today.  They are too big for the HE-6 cups!

They`ll fit no problem.  I just installed mine last week. On one side I fit the audeze on the ring, just like the stock pads fit.  As long as the material doesn`t block the tabs that hold the pad on the cup, it works.  Plus, because there`s extra material there, it actually stiffens the rotation of the pad, which I like: it won`t rotate unless I want it to. On the other side I used the tape; that was easy but the pad rotates too easily now, and I have to keep readjusting it.  

I think I`m just going to tape them directly to the cups, like others have done . . .   

I`m also waiting to hear about those STAX pads  ! 

d

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #15,866 of 21,868

frown.gif

DOOOOD, that sucks.  Please keep us informed of the process.  I just ordered those HE-560 rings from Hifiman, and it arrived in a couple of days.  They should provide a new headband structure, for free or cheap.  Tell them to send it `gift`, and if they refuse ship it to me in Tokyo and I`ll send it to you as a gift.  I never get hit with customs here.  

I got Audeze Vegan Pads, black today.  They are too big for the HE-6 cups!

They`ll fit no problem.  I just installed mine last week. On one side I fit the audeze on the ring, just like the stock pads fit.  As long as the material doesn`t block the tabs that hold the pad on the cup, it works.  Plus, because there`s extra material there, it actually stiffens the rotation of the pad, which I like: it won`t rotate unless I want it to. On the other side I used the tape; that was easy but the pad rotates too easily now, and I have to keep readjusting it.  

I think I`m just going to tape them directly to the cups, like others have done . . .   

d

I'd like to try the Stax pads, but they are $160 here in the US! 

I am just trying a different DHC Cable, it's an 8 wire braid of Silver Hybrid Type 4 Litz,  Very nice sound, bigger, wider soundstage for sure, smooth, detailed, excellent vocals.  It has been a favorite of mine on other headphones.  It smooths the treble a little more, and yes I have done the "fazor mod", and took out the foam, also removed the grille cloth and cotton, using Focus Pads, now but plan to try the Audeze Vegans tomorrow!

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #15,867 of 21,868
Just put the Audeze Vegan pads on the Hifiman rings from the Pleather HFM pads.  Now that I have my HE-6 moded with "fuzors", grille cloth removed, cotton removed, Vegan pads, they are sounding more like my LCD 2F!  Hmmmm!

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #15,869 of 21,868
Feb 7, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #15,870 of 21,868
Originally Posted by Dopaminer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

d

Re the Audeze pads size - they are HUGE and largest in diameter of any pad I've tried but they accept the HFM ring nicely and do fit well if you want to go that route.  The double stick tape route is another way of course.

Stax pads - got them Thursday.  Seem much like a Lawton angle pad with a larger ear opening.  Definitely a better fit than the Audeze pad in diameter and I could put them on my D7000 in minutes and they would be a perfect fit.  Swapped over from the Audeze leather pads yesterday and spent the afternoon listening to them.  They seemed to need a bit of "break in" regarding stiffness coming directly after the Audeze pillows that I've used for two months but even by this morning the comfort is excellent.  Sound is excellent as well with no drop off and in fact the bass is clearly more present so that I see as a good thing (recovering basshead here).  Not sure they are worth $160 but such is the state of our hobby/addiction, right? 

I'll post up after a week or so of using them on any other comments and observations I have.  For now I like them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back