HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 4, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #15,826 of 21,879

Are those the 4" fan covers?  Do you use a protective mesh behind them?

Thanks

I have NO mesh behind them..........

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #15,828 of 21,879
  Well people I can verify that the screw pattern of the aluminum rings from the HE-560 are not compatible with the HE-6.  They fit into place fine, exactly the same size, but only 2 of the six screw holes will align at any point.  I tried it with just 2 screws and there was some play, so I am giving up.   My HE-6 are 6-hole, but holes just don`t line up.  Also, the aluminum plate is much much thinner than the original plastic plate, and so when in place sinks down below the level of the outer cups.  Placing another ring of felt or similar would fix this problem and raise the ring to be flush with the edge of the cups.  

I wonder if the 4-hole version of the HE-6 would line up with 4 of the holes in these rings . . . 

Anyway, if anyone wants to give them a try, I`m going to put them up for sale here and try and get at least the original cost back ($10) and I`ll eat the shipping cost (also $10) by sending them worldwide for free . . . 

d

Thats odd, I just transplanted the rings from my HE400i to my new HE6 today, as I wanted to use the focus pads without them freely rotating all the time.
The aluminum ring does sit about 1mm lower than the edge of the cups, but the screw holes did line up just fine.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #15,829 of 21,879

Thats odd, I just transplanted the rings from my HE400i to my new HE6 today, as I wanted to use the focus pads without them freely rotating all the time.
The aluminum ring does sit about 1mm lower than the edge of the cups, but the screw holes did line up just fine.

Looking at your picture, I`m realizing that the spacing between holes is not equal - that must be why they weren`t lining up. I stupidly didn`t think to rotate the ring, I just put one screw in and then another and then realized none of the rest of the holes lined up.    
Right, looks like I`m tearing them apart again.  Maybe I`ll make coffee or something first this time, try and get my brain working. .. . .   

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #15,830 of 21,879

Well people I can verify that the screw pattern of the aluminum rings from the HE-560 are not compatible with the HE-6.  They fit into place fine, exactly the same size, but only 2 of the six screw holes will align at any point.  I tried it with just 2 screws and there was some play, so I am giving up.   My HE-6 are 6-hole, but holes just don`t line up.  Also, the aluminum plate is much much thinner than the original plastic plate, and so when in place sinks down below the level of the outer cups.  Placing another ring of felt or similar would fix this problem and raise the ring to be flush with the edge of the cups.  

I wonder if the 4-hole version of the HE-6 would line up with 4 of the holes in these rings . . . 

Anyway, if anyone wants to give them a try, I`m going to put them up for sale here and try and get at least the original cost back ($10) and I`ll eat the shipping cost (also $10) by sending them worldwide for free . . . 

d

You can make a felt ring to bring the metal ring flush!

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #15,831 of 21,879

Are those the 4" fan covers?  Do you use a protective mesh behind them?

Thanks

I have NO mesh behind them..........

I was thinking of some mesh so that a finger didn't accidently go through the grille and damage the drivers.  I ordered these in the honeycomb and one of the sun designs, don't want to leave too large openings that allow damage!  When you cut the tabs, were they thin enough to fit under the plastic ring or did you need to retrofit?

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #15,832 of 21,879

I was thinking of some mesh so that a finger didn't accidently go through the grille and damage the drivers.  I ordered these in the honeycomb and one of the sun designs, don't want to leave too large openings that allow damage!  When you cut the tabs, were they thin enough to fit under the plastic ring or did you need to retrofit?

They are probably 1/8" thick so there's no way you'll be using the hold down rings.  In fact, their thickness is about perfect to be the exact depth of the depression for the grill (you'll see what I mean when you get them).

I made the four tabs be a press fit configuration by slowly taking the sizing down a hair at a time and now they just sort of snap into place.  They are not going anywhere and being the HE-6 is about the farthest thing from a portable, I have no concerns. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #15,833 of 21,879

They are probably 1/8" thick so there's no way you'll be using the hold down rings.  In fact, their thickness is about perfect to be the exact depth of the depression for the grill (you'll see what I mean when you get them).

I made the four tabs be a press fit configuration by slowly taking the sizing down a hair at a time and now they just sort of snap into place.  They are not going anywhere and being the HE-6 is about the farthest thing from a portable, I have no concerns. 

OK, thanks for explaining that!  Are they flat, or do the have a curve to them?  Looks like I won't be getting them until next week though.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #15,834 of 21,879

OK, thanks for explaining that!  Are they flat, or do the have a curve to them?  Looks like I won't be getting them until next week though.

Completely flat. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #15,835 of 21,879

Completely flat. 

I see there is a gap between this grill and the ear cup.  Would the ring still fit if the tabs were removed, and the grill was ground with a dremel, just to give it a little more finished look?  The ring could me glued to this grill, yah?  I think extra rings can be available from head-direct.com, I'm checking on that!

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #15,836 of 21,879

The magnets will prevent your finger to reach the driver anyway 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #15,837 of 21,879

I see there is a gap between this grill and the ear cup.  Would the ring still fit if the tabs were removed, and the grill was ground with a dremel, just to give it a little more finished look?  The ring could me glued to this grill, yah?  I think extra rings can be available from head-direct.com, I'm checking on that!

You mean so the "grill" is completely round without any "nubs" showing?  I'll have to pop one out tonight and see but I think it would have a very think ledge of material to adhere to, which would be fine. 

Or do you mean to use the "snap in" ring that holds the stock grill in place?  There's not enough gap to utilize it I think.  I'll have to check tonight. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #15,838 of 21,879

Make sure you guys order the 80mm versions.  They have multiple sizes available..........

So something like this ? 80mm ?

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Acrylic-Flying-Dragon-Computer/dp/B00LDGAL86/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1423153961&sr=8-11&keywords=80mm+fan+grill

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #15,839 of 21,879

So something like this ? 80mm ?

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Acrylic-Flying-Dragon-Computer/dp/B00LDGAL86/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1423153961&sr=8-11&keywords=80mm+fan+grill

Yes.  I've ordered four different models and currently staying with this as it's the most open and I like the visual. 

51Yfe1PYr5L._SL100_.jpg

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #15,840 of 21,879
For example, I decided today that I am indeed going to sell my HD800, made redundant by this : 

*Note new speaker-selector under the amp: running my Zynsonix speaker-tap to XLR4 connector from that, and my FOSTEX 2.1 speaker system.  

New grills.   

Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back