HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 2, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #15,796 of 21,868
Thanks for your impressions, I might have to get a set of HE-6 before they are discontinued.

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #15,797 of 21,868
Finally got my HE-6 today.  It has really surprised me with the sound.  I am using my Audio-GD DAC 19 DSP, upstream are Zu Ash BNC SPDIF, iFi iLink, iFi Purifier, Audioquest Diamond USB, iFi iUsb Power, fed by Windows 8.1 running jPlay, file management jRiver MC 20, FLAC and WAV files!  Out of the DAC, Audioquest Colorado IC's to my Denon 4800, 125wpc in 8ohms, probably 15 - 20wpc to the headphones from the speaker taps.  I am using the Norne Solv X, which is excellent in this application.  I'm using Focus Pads on the HE-6, that is other wise completely stock.  This is the very best I have heard, and I have had all of the Audeze phones other than the XC!  At this point, with my excellent setup, I have no need to do any "fazor mod", or "grille mod".  Just can't believe the sound I am getting!  The HE-6 is for sure a well kept secret, such a natural sound, like the phones aren't even on your head!

Welcome to the club! Your impressions are pretty much line in with everyone else in this particular thread. Obviously that isn't too surprising given the thread, but like yourself most of us have/have had a pretty good selection of other TOTL headphones to compare to, which I think speaks volumes for one of Head-Fi's best kept secrets.

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #15,798 of 21,868
  Wonder what song was playing just before impact?
popcorn.gif

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #15,799 of 21,868

SWEET

The Pass Labs INT-150 is one sweet sounding amp.  First I have to really give take my hats off to the Master 10.  It held it's own against an amp that cost twice as much.  

Both amps has more than enough juice, both grab the HE-6 by the balls and tell it what to do.  In other words both amps drive the HE-6 effortlessly.  

The Pass Labs does just about everything at a level above the Master 10, some things it does 2 or 3 levels above.  The one thing the Master 10 does better or should I say different is the mids.  The mids on the Master 10 is what I would call lush, the mids on the 150 is what I would call SWEET.  On some vocals tracks I prefer the Master 10 but on some others I prefer the 150.  For the mids it came down to 6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other.  The 150 mids are more in line with everything els / more linear, more clean, more focused.  The mids on the F1J is more flat and straight to the point.

Master 10 --> INT-150 --> F1J
INT-150 --> Master 10 --> F1J

The Pass Labs INT-150 like the First Watt F1J is a very clean, clear and honest amp that has good air and is open sounding.  The Master 10 is not as open, has less air but just as clean and clear.  Still to this day I would say the First Watt F1J is the most neutral amp I've heard both speaker and headphone amps..  The INT-150 is more sweet sounding, the Master 10 is more warm.  I was told by Mark the INT-30 is more on the warm side as well with a more relaxing sound sig.  (I wasn't looking for a relaxing sound sig - that's why I went with the 150).

Most neutral
F1J --> INT-150 --> Master 10

Where the 150 leaves the Master 10 in the dust is the highs.  The highs on the 150 is much like the highs on the F1J, we'll extended, very well rendered and very fast.  Those amps can keep up with any kind of music you throw at it. The F1J can be just a tad bit bright at times if you stick the wrong DAC on it, that's because of it's extremely neutral signature.  The Master 10 is just a tad bit slow with large scale classical music - I only noticed this when I compared the two amps side by side, before that the Master 10 was doing a really good job.  None of these amp produce any kind of sibilance.

INT-150 --> F1J --> Master 10

The bass on the 150 kicks like a mule and can punch like Mike Tyson.  This is even a step above the F1J.  The Master 10 lacks behind both in this area.  I was always saying I want to try a Saber DAC with the Master 10 to get some punch or get more attack.  The INT-150 gives me that in spades.  

INT-150 --> F1J --> Master 10

The Master 10 is a very intimate amp, so it's sound stage is not as wide, it has good depth but it still has an intimate nature and is more smooth textured .  The INT-150 has a more open soundstage, more focused on the instruments has more dynamics from low volume to high.  the Master 10 takes it easy going from low volumes to high.

INT-150 = F1J --> Master 10

All amps retrieve details at a very high level.  The details are more apparent on the INT-150 and the F1J but you are not missing a thing on the Master 10

To sum it up the INT-150 and the F1J is more clean sounding, the Master 10 is more lush, the INT-150 is more Sweet, the F1J is more neutral.  

The main difference between the INT-150 and the F1J is the INT-150 is more rich, more sweet / musical the F1J is neutral. You can tell both are from the same family.  They just have slight differences here and there.  

This is my final stop for the HE-6.  It's been a long and fun ride, but I think I've found my end game amp for this headphone.  I just hope it fits the HE-1000 as good as it does the HE-6.  

Oh and with other headphones.  The INT-150 sound mighty good with the LCD-3F and the HD800 what a surprise.  The Master 10 sound really good with the HD800 (I sold my EC 445 because the Master 10 beat it out handily),   but it's not so good with the LCD-3F a little to thick for me.

Hgnnnn lucky man that looks like a nice amplifier.

Have to say for my own tastes I find it hard to live with warm or thick sounding gear, but slight sweetness is not a bad thing.  Hoping the warmth is not too much of a house sound but would not be surprised if it is (I run AudioGD NFB 7.32 and Master 6).  Moving on from AudioGD seems to require some serious saving... 
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #15,800 of 21,868
Oh we do. We are not part of the marketing shineola. This site lost thousands of great members because they didn't want to be used for this site's profit.

Yes, you can also find many of the people here on a few other sites, talking to the thousands who have left. Sometimes using the same nicknames too. The conversations elsewhere are a bit different :)

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #15,801 of 21,868
  Finally got my HE-6 today.  It has really surprised me with the sound.  I am using my Audio-GD DAC 19 DSP, upstream are Zu Ash BNC SPDIF, iFi iLink, iFi Purifier, Audioquest Diamond USB, iFi iUsb Power, fed by Windows 8.1 running jPlay, file management jRiver MC 20, FLAC and WAV files!  Out of the DAC, Audioquest Colorado IC's to my Denon 4800, 125wpc in 8ohms, probably 15 - 20wpc to the headphones from the speaker taps.  I am using the Norne Solv X, which is excellent in this application.  I'm using Focus Pads on the HE-6, that is other wise completely stock.  This is the very best I have heard, and I have had all of the Audeze phones other than the XC!  At this point, with my excellent setup, I have no need to do any "fazor mod", or "grille mod".  Just can't believe the sound I am getting!  The HE-6 is for sure a well kept secret, such a natural sound, like the phones aren't even on your head!

No need to do any of the other mods?!  HA!  Those words you will regret.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #15,803 of 21,868

How do they compare to the 560's in your mind?  Also, just for kicks - maybe give the grill mod a shot..

Congrats...

beerchug.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #15,804 of 21,868

Hgnnnn lucky man that looks like a nice amplifier.

Have to say for my own tastes I find it hard to live with warm or thick sounding gear, but slight sweetness is not a bad thing.  Hoping the warmth is not too much of a house sound but would not be surprised if it is (I run AudioGD NFB 7.32 and Master 6).  Moving on from AudioGD seems to require some serious saving... 
frown.gif

Nothing sounds thick at all, even the Master 10 is not thick.  Think of neutral and just leaning to the warm side..  That little added warmth is well welcomed in some applications..  

Also, I happen to like his power amps way more than I like hi headphone amps..  5It's a different sound to my ears.  I've heard the Master 9, Master 3 and the Master 10.  The Master 9 was not even in the same ball park as the others.  The headphone amps seem more lean in comparisons.  Others may like that more I guess.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #15,805 of 21,868

How do they compare to the 560's in your mind?  Also, just for kicks - maybe give the grill mod a shot..

Congrats...

beerchug.gif

I had the 560's twice, the word "thin" comes to mind!  Seems the HE-6 is all good, as long as the music is well mastered, FLAC or WAV!

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #15,806 of 21,868
Welcome to the club! Your impressions are pretty much line in with everyone else in this particular thread. Obviously that isn't too surprising given the thread, but like yourself most of us have/have had a pretty good selection of other TOTL headphones to compare to, which I think speaks volumes for one of Head-Fi's best kept secrets.

For example, I decided today that I am indeed going to sell my HD800, made redundant by this : 

*Note new speaker-selector under the amp: running my Zynsonix speaker-tap to XLR4 connector from that, and my FOSTEX 2.1 speaker system.  

New grills.   

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #15,807 of 21,868
Anyone tried the 6 with one of the Rogue Audio hybrid integrateds, Sphinx or Pharaoh? They seem to have some pretty good review and are not too expensive compared to the Pass Labs amps.

Or maybe a Naim integrated?

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #15,808 of 21,868

i was the same when I got my HE-6 and used it for a month without modding - then I had some time to tinker - I must say it is a very big change and for the better doing the mods - even just the grill  mod - I did not do the fuzzor because it don't find the cans bright at all .
if u are not going to do the mod - I think u are missing a lot .

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #15,809 of 21,868

i was the same when I got my HE-6 and used it for a month without modding - then I had some time to tinker - I must say it is a very big change and for the better doing the mods - even just the grill  mod - I did not do the fuzzor because it don't find the cans bright at all .

I don't find them bright at all either, with my setup.  What did you use for the grill mod?  Do you have a picture of your grill mod?  I don't feel the need for the fuzzor mod, the Solv X is it for me....I have the Draug 2, DHC Silver Peptide, DHC Fusion, DHC Silver Hybrid, and DHC Molecule Extreme...the Norne Solv X is excellent on the HE-6!

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #15,810 of 21,868

OK, I just removed the ring and took out the stock grille.....what is the white/yellowish cotton placed inside, I know a mouse can't fit in there to build a nest...

I did a little listening without the grilles and I really like the bigger more open sound, I may need to listen for a while whether to do something permanently with more open grille material.  I need some help/suggestions of what to use, and where to purchase.  Can someone provide links and pictures to get me started?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back