HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 21, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #15,677 of 21,873
Okay: 

ALO-knock-off cable resleeved in some too-large Oyaide supple sleeving I had laying around : Check

Regrilling with (admittedly kitschy / seemed like a good idea at the time) gold mesh :  Check

Fuzzor Mod : Check

Audeze Vegan pads : Ordered from Audeze in USA.  80 bucks, plus 5.99 for USPS to Japan (vs $300 from Japan distributor. On the other side of that coin, a pair of STAX SR-007 pads are $70 here.)

Headband mod with Senn HD700 pad found for cheap, looked promising : Fail

Listening session with Andix HPA-45 tube amp.  This HE-6 is like nothing I`ve ever heard before.  And I mean that literally.  Like, I have never heard anything this good, this deep, this complex, this dynamically wide-ranging.  The HE-6 I listened to for ages in Bangkok, on two separate days, out of the Mytek Manhattan, was mind-blowing, and afterwords I knew I had to get this phone.  But this one is even more so.  No, scratch that : it`s not `more so`; it`s another completely different thing... I can`t really describe it, though I seem to be trying to.  

I have loved the HD800 for nearly 2 years now, basically my only headphone until I acquired a T5P recently.  I have had a few iems of high quality.  I have demo`d many many high-end cans, which is easy to do in Tokyo and Bangkok.  But this is . . . . something else.  Not of this Earth.  It`s . . .   it`s . . . . 

....indescribable.   So I`ll shut up.  

Visuals: (I know, I know, the gold mesh is over-bling)

Oh yeah - I have to say a huge thank you to all the people who took the time to experiment and share their findings, and provide instructions.  You are all awesome. 
Too bad HiFiMan never got the marketing push Audeze and Schiit got. We've done our best to expose this great sounding headphone.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #15,678 of 21,873
Okay: 

ALO-knock-off cable resleeved in some too-large Oyaide supple sleeving I had laying around : Check

Regrilling with (admittedly kitschy / seemed like a good idea at the time) gold mesh :  Check

Fuzzor Mod : Check

Audeze Vegan pads : Ordered from Audeze in USA.  80 bucks, plus 5.99 for USPS to Japan (vs $300 from Japan distributor. On the other side of that coin, a pair of STAX SR-007 pads are $70 here.)

Headband mod with Senn HD700 pad found for cheap, looked promising : Fail

Listening session with Andix HPA-45 tube amp.  This HE-6 is like nothing I`ve ever heard before.  And I mean that literally.  Like, I have never heard anything this good, this deep, this complex, this dynamically wide-ranging.  The HE-6 I listened to for ages in Bangkok, on two separate days, out of the Mytek Manhattan, was mind-blowing, and afterwords I knew I had to get this phone.  But this one is even more so.  No, scratch that : it`s not `more so`; it`s another completely different thing... I can`t really describe it, though I seem to be trying to.  

I have loved the HD800 for nearly 2 years now, basically my only headphone until I acquired a T5P recently.  I have had a few iems of high quality.  I have demo`d many many high-end cans, which is easy to do in Tokyo and Bangkok.  But this is . . . . something else.  Not of this Earth.  It`s . . .   it`s . . . . 

....indescribable.   So I`ll shut up.  

Visuals: (I know, I know, the gold mesh is over-bling)

Oh yeah - I have to say a huge thank you to all the people who took the time to experiment and share their findings, and provide instructions.  You are all awesome. 
Now you need a speaker amp (someone's got to say that?)

The amp you have outputs 3wpc I believe, I think you might need moar power! The 445 I have uses the same tubes but x4, still no match for the Ragnarok and the Woo WA5. Can't speak for real speaker amps though. But I agree that tubes & HE6 can be really special. Sort of miss the WA5 with the HE6 now...

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #15,680 of 21,873

I like the gold as well..............

About that one point of failure.  I suggest the suspension-style mod that member Lohb brought to the table.  Have it on my HE-6 and even tho I'm one of the guys who had no problem with the comfort of the HE-6 stock, it definitely kicked the comfort up a notch or two.  Here's a pic of it on his head.   Better looking than the midieval HE-560/Abyss torture device headbands..................what's up with them anyway?  It's the one fail on the HE-1000 from my view at this point.............

How much does this suspension headband run? Looks really comfy!

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #15,681 of 21,873
Awww, you guys.  I am now feeling extremely happy with my gold mesh.  Thank you for helping me to overcome my shyness,; I am now proudly rocking gold mesh HE-6s !

Quote:
Now you need a speaker amp (someone's got to say that?)

The amp you have outputs 3wpc I believe, I think you might need moar power! The 445 I have uses the same tubes but x4, still no match for the Ragnarok and the Woo WA5. Can't speak for real speaker amps though. But I agree that tubes & HE6 can be really special. Sort of miss the WA5 with the HE6 now...

Yes I think it is 3w.  It has speaker taps as well; I am running the HE-6 off those using a speaker tap-to-XLR4 cable.  

HOWEVER, in my picture of the HE-6 you can see that it is sitting on some large metallic box - object.  

That is a Denon PMA-S1 amplifier, 60 lbs of audiolove, which will be driving the HE-6 once I track down this nice Luxman speaker-selector that I am salivating over : 

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #15,682 of 21,873

How much does this suspension headband run? Looks really comfy!

It IS comfy.........very.   Price is $45 including shipping if I remember correctly.  PM member Lohb if you're interested. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #15,683 of 21,873
Been spending some more quality time with the open grill/fuzzor/vegan-modded HE6 and the Ragnarok. Damn. I still hate nearly everything about the HE6, but when that driver is allowed to do its thing it's really something special.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #15,685 of 21,873
  The housing is crap. The connectors are crap. The headband is crap.

The drivers are superb (when well driven).

Can`t comment on housing - thick plastic with `piano black` finish like high-end speaker cabinets: what`s the problem?

Connectors, yes, well.  They are weird, that is for sure.   I found that if you tighten the nut and hold it tight, and loosen the knurled knob, they stay put fine.  I don`t swap cables around anyway so hard-wiring seems the way to go.

Headband is really nice; too bad it`s made of iron and trying to support heavy cups!  But the leather is nice, and the layer of memory foam has potential.  Actually I have had a huge improvement by bending the crap out of it - it is a kind of `memory metal` like many headbands -  and I think I`ve found the perfect balance of suspended weight vs friction-of-cups-on-head for longish-term comfort.  And I can feel my traps thickening. 

Agree 110% on the drivers. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #15,687 of 21,873
  Hardwiring with those Gold mesh grills.  Hint.. hint..

THAT is one Classy-looking headphone 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #15,690 of 21,873
  That's the Raign 24.  That an older pic without the grill mod.  It looks better now with the mod.

your he6 is beautiful, I wish I can do the same. :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back