HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #10,741 of 21,867
The foam isn't shown because it was taken off. Just peel slowly in case you want to put it back on.

And why isn't your driver gold?

How's the sound without the quarter foam?
Did you check with felt on grill with foam - versus felt on grill without foam?
I was thinking maybe the quarter foam could make the sound appear more like from the front perhaps?
Don't know - just asking ...

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #10,742 of 21,867
I was thinking maybe the quarter foam could make the sound appear more like from the front perhaps?

I was thinking the same thing. If he doesn't try it with the foam on/off with felt mod applied I'll try it. However, auditory memory is terrible so take it with a grain of salt 
redface.gif

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #10,743 of 21,867

If I remember correctly (which doesn't mean much now), the treble were a bit toned down. It's almost unnoticeable so I didn't bother putting it back since mine disintegrated...

The felt mod affects the sound a lot more than that piece of foam would. Actually the stock slither of felt that's under that quarter foam affects the sound more.

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #10,744 of 21,867
Dec 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #10,746 of 21,867
  Well hopefully this might be of use (mainly for the pieces round the outside rather than the strips

It needs to be 983 x917 pixels when you print it!

Here is a link to the image in case the head-fi picture hosting messes with it

http://www.zen183332.zen.co.uk/he6felt.jpg

It needs to be more precise than that (certain areas are too thin / too thick / misaligned in the template there). Which is why in my guide (link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/692494/hifiman-fuzzor-mod-driver-backwave-felt-damping-modification) I specified that the individual pieces should be measured and cut out separately, and applied separately, so that everything is extremely precise.

This is a semi-permanent mod so it might do good to put in a bit of extra work to get things just right.

Dec 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #10,747 of 21,867
  It needs to be more precise than that (certain areas are too thin / too thick / misaligned in the template there). Which is why in my guide (link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/692494/hifiman-fuzzor-mod-driver-backwave-felt-damping-modification) I specified that the individual pieces should be measured and cut out separately, and applied separately, so that everything is extremely precise.

This is a semi-permanent mod so it might do good to put in a bit of extra work to get things just right.

Plus it's extremely hard to cut the felt with a blade. Scissors seems like the "easiest" way but it's still a pain.

If a lot of people want to do the felt mod, I say it's viable to buy a "printer" that would automatically cut the felt for us. It's not all that pricey but it would require that 15-20 people want felt cut for them for like $20 shipped.

Dec 6, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #10,748 of 21,867

Plus it's extremely hard to cut the felt with a blade. Scissors seems like the "easiest" way but it's still a pain.

If a lot of people want to do the felt mod, I say it's viable to buy a "printer" that would automatically cut the felt for us. It's not all that pricey but it would require that 15-20 people want felt cut for them for like $20 shipped.

Yeah being able to precisely cutting out those "enclosed" slots of the pattern are probably more hassle than convenience. Cutting out strips with scissors is infinitely easier and cleaner.

Honestly this is one of the easiest mods I've devised out of the list of modifications I've gone through in the past, the only caveat is it is a fairly repetitive grindy task, but it requires VERY little technical / handyman skills.

Dec 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #10,750 of 21,867
What is the purpose of the quarter foam? Soundstage presentation?

If I remember correctly (which doesn't mean much now), the treble were a bit toned down. It's almost unnoticeable so I didn't bother putting it back since mine disintegrated...

The felt mod affects the sound a lot more than that piece of foam would. Actually the stock slither of felt that's under that quarter foam affects the sound more.

Dec 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #10,751 of 21,867
What is the purpose of the quarter foam? Soundstage presentation?

What ohhgourami said, it tames treble a bit by being in that region of the ear. I think the felt mod is a much more refined version of what Hifiman is doing with that quarter-piece foam.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #10,753 of 21,867
  They should coat the whole magnet with foam, then!

Not necessarily, because the foam also blocks the gaps between the magnets, which is where you don't want it applied.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #10,755 of 21,867
Jerg

thanks - I hadn't started cutting :)

is the idea to match the bars underneath rather than the grid on top ?

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back