HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 3, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #10,726 of 21,868
BUT I DON'T WANT TO.............

How about after the new year?

Since the Hilo is out for repair and then on to Gary's review, now would be a good time to do this.

eek.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #10,727 of 21,868
@hawkhead if your after a UK supplier of some Self Adhesive Stiffened Felt - check out this place: http://www.littlecraftybugs.co.uk/self-adhesive-stiffened-felt-black.html

Mine will be with me tomorrow :)

I have my received my Audeze Microsuede Pads and must say - it has done everything that ohhgourami and brunk has mentioned. It's improved my stock velour pads in bass quality, soundstage and I can feel the imaging from the centre which is big for me. Not going to remove the inner ring, just waiting to do my felt mod before sticking them down.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #10,728 of 21,868
Thankyou for the supplier

I put the Hifiman Velour's back on this morning (just as a sanity check) and quickly put the Audeze vegan pads back on - they are also more comfortable for me

Quote:
  @hawkhead if your after a UK supplier of some Self Adhesive Stiffened Felt - check out this place: http://www.littlecraftybugs.co.uk/self-adhesive-stiffened-felt-black.html

Mine will be with me tomorrow :)

I have my received my Audeze Microsuede Pads and must say - it has done everything that ohhgourami and brunk has mentioned. It's improved my stock velour pads in bass quality, soundstage and I can feel the imaging from the centre which is big for me. Not going to remove the inner ring, just waiting to do my felt mod before sticking them down.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #10,730 of 21,868
I put the Hifiman Velour's back on this morning (just as a sanity check) and quickly put the Audeze vegan pads back on - they are also more comfortable for me

I agree, there is more comfort than the velours, especially in regards to the texture against your skin.

They are disassembled. Need to find the felt. I was looking at the wiring from the connector to the wafer. Pretty small solder opening to work with a large wire.

Let us know how it goes :)

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #10,732 of 21,868

I think I'll leave out the ring, I don't want to risk any undesired vibrations, and the sleeve being stretched around the earcup keeps its shape pretty good. Hopefully my felt will arrive this week, it took a while for it to ship. I'll make a second set of "Jerg" grills too, taking out the cotton of course. 

IMO, if the LCD-3 and HD-800 had a baby, this is it! 
tongue.gif
 Soundstage is between the two, bass is between the two, treble is between the two, but the mids of the HE-6 are still its own special brand. The HE-6 is now 'smoother' for lack of a better word, without losing its transparency and HE6-licious mids 
biggrin.gif

I initially was going to use some flat copper cable, but decided it's a little too stiff for my liking, so now I'm going with a Canare Star Quad "permanent install" version type. It's a little larger gauge than the standard, and it has a 100% aluminum foil shield. Got it for $0.44 cents a foot too! 

Let us know how you like the flexibility of the Canare... Looks interesting!

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #10,733 of 21,868
Dec 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #10,734 of 21,868
For those interested, I just checked the wire that's attached to the wafer of the HE-6 and it is 24AWG stranded silver-plated copper.

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #10,735 of 21,868
New cable pics!
biggrin.gif
 I ran out of heat shrink from some previous builds so I had to improvise a bit :) No biggie though, I can just take off the banana plugs and slide some on. Anyways, the speaker tap adapter is about 2.5 feet long, so I can have my plug in front the unit. I originally didn't want to do this, but after some A/B listening of the F-5 vs. A-S2000 the First Watt amp is better for my speakers! Now I just need a speaker switch box. Plus, I can bring my HE-6 to 4-pin XLR amps now if i desire, like my soon-to-be-built "The Wire". Does anyone want to buy a Yamaha A-S2000 or a 12ft. BTG Sunset cable? :)

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #10,736 of 21,868
They look good , nice work. I am just amazed at the level people go to mod these headphones, I wonder if Hifi man put that much effort into research and development lol.

Al D

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #10,737 of 21,868
Right I have the felt

I took the earpad off and there is a piece of foam there

which I have not seen in pics of of the HE6 with felt applied

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #10,738 of 21,868
Right I have the felt

I took the earpad off and there is a piece of foam there

which I have not seen in pics of of the HE6 with felt applied

The foam isn't shown because it was taken off. Just peel slowly in case you want to put it back on.

And why isn't your driver gold?

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #10,740 of 21,868
They look good , nice work. I am just amazed at the level people go to mod these headphones, I wonder if Hifi man put that much effort into research and development lol.

Al D

Thanks Al D! I finally get to pick up my felt today, so I'm looking forward to completing these mods finally :) Just the felt, and some Jerg grills are all that's left!

The foam isn't shown because it was taken off. Just peel slowly in case you want to put it back on.

And why isn't your driver gold?
  ohhgourami

thank you

My HE6 has the platinum driver upgrade

or it was scanned in grayscale

Lol I was going to say the same thing. I'm glad it was grayscale and not the other way around :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back