HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #10,756 of 21,868
Dec 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #10,757 of 21,868

The magnets are about 3.6~3.7mm in width, so if you really wanna be precise you could go by that parametre. I specified 4mm in my Fuzzor mod guide so that people don't have to worry about sub-millimetre information, also the "edge tapering" step in my guide more or less bypasses that issue.because it also tapers down the absolute edges of the felt stripes.

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #10,759 of 21,868

Thick felt doesn't sound good though. The "default" felt seems to give the best results.

Thicker felt is ok as long as the edges are tapered well. Thinner felt are great but might be harder to apply very precisely (since they are more wiggly).

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #10,760 of 21,868
All this talk of mods... I'm just enjoying my HE-6 stock right now!

Just did a listening session HE-6 Vs my T1 and GS1000i, very easy to do in this setup - simply hit a single button to switch from HP to Pre-amp output. Sold my LCD-2 Friday, will now be selling the T1 and GS1000i also. I can't see either getting any head time with the HE-6 around, and this is running it off the diminutive TP60, so it can probably only get even better from here on out. 

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #10,762 of 21,868
Dec 8, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #10,763 of 21,868
Great setup. I have that too . It can drive the he6 itselft but not that loud . What amp for the he6?

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #10,764 of 21,868
  All this talk of mods... I'm just enjoying my HE-6 stock right now!

Just did a listening session HE-6 Vs my T1 and GS1000i, very easy to do in this setup - simply hit a single button to switch from HP to Pre-amp output. Sold my LCD-2 Friday, will now be selling the T1 and GS1000i also. I can't see either getting any head time with the HE-6 around, and this is running it off the diminutive TP60, so it can probably only get even better from here on out. 

Cool man,

I see you have a few closed headphones as well.  Same with me, the HE-6 and a good closed headphone is a good stopping point.  

But I have ADHD or something I just can't stay still..
eek.gif

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #10,765 of 21,868
Those who got the Audeze (vegan / micro suede or lambskin) pads, please chime in ... !

I plan ordering the Audeze "vegan" pads on monday, but would like to hear if there is some consensus regarding how it sounds compared to stock HiFiMan pads (pleather or velour).

I remember one saying the sub bass was more audible and other(s) saying soundstage being bigger.

Also, if anyone has tried both the lambskin AND the micro suede pads, please state your impressions of the two.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #10,766 of 21,868
Great setup. I have that too . It can drive the he6 itselft but not that loud . What amp for the he6?

Just a little Topping TP60 at the moment, enjoying it immensely - it'll be a good enough for a brief dalliance until I audition some other stuff and make a decision about my next amp (hoping for a longer term relationship there).

In terms of driving the HE-6 straight from the Ref 10... I find it can get loud enough for me, too loud even for some volume-wars mastered albums, but the HE-6 only really starts to shine once the volume nears max (at volumes I didn't like to expose myself to for any length of time for loud albums, while simultaneously lacking the headroom for quietly mastered albums). It was enough to make me fall for the HE-6 sound the last time I had them, but all the same I wouldn't recommend it.

I think it's a bit like a lot of the amps people recommended as 'being able to drive the HE-6' near the beginning of the 'Amps that can drive the HE-6' thread - able to both produce fairly satisfactory volume and sufficient to start to show the performance of the HE-6, enough to make people think they were hearing the HE-6 well driven, but in reality only a glimmer of the headphones real talent. Having read that thread a couple of times now it's interesting to see just how many of the people who asserted, almost belligerently at times, that their amp pairing was 'driving the HE-6 superbly', later turned around and admitted it did not in fact drive them well (typically this change of stance occurring after hearing on a decent speaker amp pairing).

Seeing the number of times that happens in that thread alone, I really have to start to wonder if that isn't the reason these headphones don't have a bigger following - people genuinely believe they have 'really heard' the HE-6 when, in fact, they haven't.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #10,767 of 21,868
A good "amp" headphone or speaker will allow the HE-6 to "shine" sound good at low volume levels.  It's not high gain the HE-6 needs. It's a certain amount of power (what ever that may be) + quality.  IMO..

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #10,768 of 21,868
A good "amp" headphone or speaker will allow the HE-6 to "shine" sound good at low volume levels.  It's not high gain the HE-6 needs. It's a certain amount of power (what ever that may be) + quality.  IMO..

Which is a much more succinct way to say what I was trying to get at :)

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #10,769 of 21,868
I agree with the statement. I did increase the gain as per Kingwa. And the volume is louder at lower setting
I did side by side testing with the M8 and and the WOO WA 5. all upgrades.

And I cannot say what was better and they both sound great at all volumes
Same songs and same DAC.
Now there is plenty of post s from people who claim
Amps that I clearly hear as being inferior in sound quality

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #10,770 of 21,868
I agree with the statement. I did increase the gain as per Kingwa.

Ah, I'd forgotten you'd made those changes to your Ref 10 following advice from Kingwa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back