HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 12, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #12,646 of 21,873
omap5.jpg

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #12,647 of 21,873

ph34r.gif

I couldn't take it anymore! I yanked the ZEROs outta the system. Currently sitting inside the Tea room awaiting return shipping. Maybe Monday... Tuesday. Believe it or not, I had so much confidence the ZEROs would work out, I threw the box out the very first day. 
rolleyes.gif

These hockey pucks are a better match for my KEF Coda 9's, but I listen to the HE-6 most often times and I do not wanna surrender anymore current. Back to the HE-Adapter for now...

What was the config you were using again? Was it something like using the divide 4 taps into the 16 ohm speaker output? 
You mentioned something about being unable to change the output on the amp (which seems odd to me). Is that still the case?

You aren't surrendering current with the autoformers. If anything, you're saving current since the adapter wastes current as heat.

Losing bass makes me feel like something is hooked up wrong, because if there's rolloff happening then there's some sort of weird interaction happening.

Mar 12, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #12,648 of 21,873
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What was the config you were using again? Was it something like using the divide 4 taps into the 16 ohm speaker output? 
You mentioned something about being unable to change the output on the amp (which seems odd to me). Is that still the case?

You aren't surrendering current with the autoformers. If anything, you're saving current since the adapter wastes current as heat.

Losing bass makes me feel like something is hooked up wrong, because if there's rolloff happening then there's some sort of weird interaction happening.

smiley_thumb.gif
 I assure you, I'm wired up correctly. Yes, I was dividing 61 Ohms by 4 presenting 15.25 Ohms to the mono blocks. For clarity about changing the amps output, I expressed the early models had external speaker taps (4-8-16) and one could simply choose where to place the speaker cable. The latest model still has 4-8-16 Ohm taps but now internally placed. Soldered at 16 Ohms because the amps operate at their best at 16 Ohms with high impedance, high efficiency speakers. Clearly, the HE-6 are not efficient. Also, my speakers would benefit from using ZEROs but they are now in temporary storage. 

About current - raising the impedance from 8 to 16 Ohms reduces the amount of current available for the HE-6 versus 8 Ohms. But the amps don't work as hard either. So, my comments are about different impedance which ever device is being used. 

I'm not really losing Bass, the amps are still putting it out there. But using the ZEROs at 16 Ohms finds the Bass with less Slam, less authority and the increase in gain has brought the mids more forward and prominent in the presentation. For the sake of adventure, I'm going to show the amps 4 Ohms with the ZEROs and HE-Adapter combined and evaluate the presentation. 

All that said, it simply comes down to flav - playbacks sounds decent with the ZEROs at 15.25 Ohms but good with the adapter at 8 Ohms... the whole presentation, not just sections.

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #12,649 of 21,873
I was just wondering if these are any reasonably priced headphone amps that do work with the HE-6 or is it really only compatible with speaker amps. I have a Onkyo 150w/ch amp but that seems like it might be a bit too much.

Reasonably priced does not tell us much. I would generally say that at any price there are more good speaker amps than headphone amps capable of doing a good job on the he-6. 150 watts is not too much per se, I use an amp with that and others use more. You need to try it out and see how it sounds.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #12,650 of 21,873
Hey guys,

Awhile ago I teased the thread with a few pieces of iron to drive my HE-6's with, but I never followed through. My dad has two power amps dusting up in the garage:

Belles Soloist OCM-200 Power Amplifier
I haven't been able to find any real info on these, other than some sketchy information on some classifieds: 
https://www.usedprice.com/items/audio/ocm/power-amplifier/200-29336.html
(Says 125x2 at 4ohms)

And a Rotel 970BX Power Amplifier
MANUAL: http://www.rotel.com/content/manuals/rb970bx_eng.pdf

The only thing missing here is a preamp. Have any gut feelings as to what I should try them out with first?

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #12,651 of 21,873
Anyone hear about this amp? http://benchmarkmedia.com/pages/the-new-ahb2

Very excited to see the reviews for it. Probably snatch one up myself
wink_face.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #12,656 of 21,873
  Belles Soloist OCM-200 Power Amplifier

And a Rotel 970BX Power Amplifier

The only thing missing here is a preamp. Have any gut feelings as to what I should try them out with first?

Looking good. Is the output on the Emo line out or pre out?

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #12,657 of 21,873
  Anyone hear about this amp? http://benchmarkmedia.com/pages/the-new-ahb2

Very excited to see the reviews for it. Probably snatch one up myself
wink_face.gif

You already have the "Krell KAV-400xi", why do you need one more? 

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #12,660 of 21,873
Craig from here has a new amp for the he 6
He loves it.
Ask him to post a mini review
He claims it has the detail of the FW F3
But bass of the krell
I have not had time to hear it yet.
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back