HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #12,661 of 21,868
Please teach me something: I have an HE-6 for audition (again) and have tried it with various speaker amps and also a small SMSL SA98E amp (Class T). The HE6 does surprisingly well with this T amp (no hiss when connected and no music playing), all other HPs (T1, AKG 712, etc) do exhibit annoying hissing when connected. How does one correct this mismatch? The SMSL is a tiny box and very convenient for bedside listening.
Thank you for your consideration.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #12,662 of 21,868
There is a thread on hear speaker amps for headphones
It is very expanitary of the hiss you hear.
I think it has to do with gain of the amp
I know a resister network can help as it attenuated
The output and it lowers the noise floor but you need to have the reserve power
Cause of lose from the attenuation.

Al

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #12,663 of 21,868
Please teach me something: I have an HE-6 for audition (again) and have tried it with various speaker amps and also a small SMSL SA98E amp (Class T). The HE6 does surprisingly well with this T amp (no hiss when connected and no music playing), all other HPs (T1, AKG 712, etc) do exhibit annoying hissing when connected. How does one correct this mismatch? The SMSL is a tiny box and very convenient for bedside listening.
Thank you for your consideration.

It means the SMSL has noise problems, but the HE-6 is inefficient enough that it masks the noise. Your other headphones however are going to be unsuitable. A workaround is to slap on a resistor L-pad to chop down your output power... but quite frankly there are a lot of good options for small headphone amps and you are better served with one of those.

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #12,665 of 21,868

I have a separate preamp
tongue.gif

I never said I'm keeping both.

When do you estimate bringing the new piece of gear home?

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #12,668 of 21,868
Craig from here has a new amp for the he 6
He loves it.
Ask him to post a mini review
He claims it has the detail of the FW F3
But bass of the krell
I have not had time to hear it yet.
Al

My new amps are the Wyred 4 Sound mAMP Monoblocks, I should have them either tomorrow or Saturday. I ordered them last saturday after auditioning them with my DAC and HE-6. I read this review after and was surprised how closely it matched my listening impressions, although it's not the exact same amp. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue39/wyred4sound.htm 

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #12,669 of 21,868
I just read the review the amp has a fantastic heritage . Wow I cannot wait to hang and here them. Small footprint too are they stackable ?

Al

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #12,670 of 21,868
My new amps are the Wyred 4 Sound mAMP Monoblocks, I should have them either tomorrow or Saturday. I ordered them last saturday after auditioning them with my DAC and HE-6. I read this review after and was surprised how closely it matched my listening impressions, although it's not the exact same amp. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue39/wyred4sound.htm 
Ought to be fun to read this weekend.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #12,671 of 21,868
He has my krell there to compare. And he has heard many amps as comparisons as well. The dac he is using is really detailed as well .

Al

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #12,672 of 21,868
popcorn.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #12,673 of 21,868
I just read the review the amp has a fantastic heritage . Wow I cannot wait to hang and here them. Small footprint too are they stackable ?

Al

I don't want to get ahead of myself but I felt they had great synergy with the rest of my gear. I left the audition overjoyed because after all the searching, buying, selling, I'd found the final piece of my End Game setup. The icing on the cake for me was there size (8"W x 3.5" x 8"D), weight (8 lbs.), they run really cool (can be stacked) and use very little electricity (Idle power consumption 9.5w.)

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #12,674 of 21,868
Man you really are cheap with the electric. He keeps saying that. LOL

Al

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #12,675 of 21,868
  I don't want to get ahead of myself but I felt they had great synergy with the rest of my gear. I left the audition overjoyed because after all the searching, buying, selling, I'd found the final piece of my End Game setup. The icing on the cake for me was there size (8"W x 3.5" x 8"D), weight (8 lbs.), they run really cool (can be stacked) and use very little electricity (Idle power consumption 9.5w.)

Are those Class A or A/B amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back