HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #10,636 of 21,879
^ Yeah same here. I regretted selling them, and am happy to have them a second time. That's the only headphone I can say that about lol.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #10,637 of 21,879
  ^ Yeah same here. I regretted selling them, and am happy to have them a second time. That's the only headphone I can say that about lol.

Yeah, this.

I see most Head-Fier's who have been here long enough eventually go back and re-purchase some of the headphones they'd previously discarded, and the HE-6 is the only one of those for me (hopefully my second set should arrive today!).

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #10,639 of 21,879
biggrin.gif
 My recent HE-6 purchase marks my 3rd go at the cans! Previously, I had borrowed them twice months apart for two months at a time. I was on the fence for a very long time. Getting pushed really helped! 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #10,640 of 21,879
Frank,

Many have found faults instead of finding solutions to see what this headphone can offer. I've read many claim that if it took a speaker amp to make them sound better, they weren't worth the effort. I claim they had a bias toward the HE-6 headphone and used whatever they could to convince themselves that their lack of efforts were justified. Some here have found that other headphones sound better on said speaker amps since opening the speaker amp door. If I owned a stable of headphone amps, perhaps I'd be biased too. Since I only had one headphone amp and a few speaker amps on hand, I was curious to hear what Fang found when he pulled out the Threshold amp. Many others have since found the same thing. They may not be perfect but when the 5le and 6 came out, they demanded attention as a top end performer. The LCD clan clamored loudly for the 2.1, 2,2, 2,3 now the X. The .3 comes close but they still don't have the same top to bottom evenness of presentation. You can find a headphone that will out perform the bottom, the mids, but it's tough for one to do it all as well as the 6. I've not had the chance to witness the top end Stax. So I won't throw volleys at their offering. But I have lived with or experienced the 800s, T-1, PS-1000, AKG K1000, HE-60/HEV70, HD600/650, etc. and none have as good an all around offering than the HE-6. They each have their own strength and some are better in some areas. But I've been satisfied with the HE-6 for a long time.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #10,642 of 21,879
I own almost all on the list and some others. Here is how I hear it. The top 4 headphones are very close to each other.

The four I am talking about is the stax009,he6, hd800 and the he60. Now given the two stats need expensive amps I do not think it is fair to judge but for sound quality they will remain.

Any of us that owned the hd800 have gone through some amps chasing that dream and this is what we are doing with the he6. But the advantage we have is speaker amps. Used they are not bad . As for overall use they are at the top of the food chain . To me the top four are within 10% of each other. But given the he6 and amp that works well you can have top tear for under 4k. And I do prefere them to the hd800. For most music. It is a shame only that it takes a lot of effort to get there.

Al D

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #10,646 of 21,879
Wow talk about indesicion lol .. I guess I'm worse though at,east you sell them , where I just let them sit there. Stupid me...

I have a collection I should sell ..

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #10,649 of 21,879
Finished doing the mod! It's what I was expecting! Removing the cotton and foam and using felt works!!!

The bass goes deeper and became tighter. The mids are more forward, but it didn't loose that signature treble!. Soundstage seems to have increased a bit more and has more airiness. Overall the tonality hasn't changed but certain aspects improved.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #10,650 of 21,879
  Finished doing the mod! It's what I was expecting! Removing the cotton and foam and using felt works!!!

The bass goes deeper and became tighter. The mids are more forward, but it didn't loose that signature treble!. Soundstage seems to have increased a bit more and has more airiness. Overall the tonality hasn't changed but certain aspects improved.
bigsmile_face.gif

Great!!! Now you could:

1. Summarize the mod in one post
2. Accept a commish to mod my box, eliminating/bypassing series resistors; replacing binding posts on rear
3. Take the money you make from me and take yo' girl to Disneyland to celebrate #1. 
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back