HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #10,621 of 21,868
If you have the patients that's a good idea

I just bought the audio GD m8/m7 combo
About six months back and now there is a m9
I'm mad.

Al D

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #10,622 of 21,868
I'm also interested in waiting for Hifiman's next generation. 

Me too. Although the 6 has a tad more extension in the treble than the 5LE that I own (had the 6 for a month-long audition), I've decided to wait for the next generation of Hifiman. The 5LE on a speaker amp has been pretty spectacular, in particular, with Rock and Jazz genres.

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #10,623 of 21,868
I just finished jerg's mod with sticky felt on the inside of the drivers:

As for the results, I got slightly forwarded mids, but big loss in treble. It makes the presentation more intimate like I was using the stock velours, except the highs aren't there. Shifted the sound of the HE-6 more towards an LCD.

I think I'll go back to stock or a compromise of something in between. I really like the airiness and sparkle at the top.

My results seem quite different from what jerg got with the same mod on his HE-500s.

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #10,624 of 21,868
  I just finished jerg's mod with sticky felt on the inside of the drivers:

As for the results, I got slightly forwarded mids, but big loss in treble. It makes the presentation more intimate like I was using the stock velours, except the highs aren't there. Shifted the sound of the HE-6 more towards an LCD.

I think I'll go back to stock or a compromise of something in between. I really like the airiness and sparkle at the top.

My results seem quite different from what jerg got with the same mod on his HE-500s.

I had a feeling that's what your "surprise" was going to be lol. I'm glad you went through with it for the rest of us though. I was going to try this myself, but am glad I am spared from it now.

For pads, do you think the LCD microsuede is better than the hifiman velours?

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #10,625 of 21,868
  I had a feeling that's what your "surprise" was going to be lol. I'm glad you went through with it for the rest of us though. I was going to try this myself, but am glad I am spared from it now.

For pads, do you think the LCD microsuede is better than the hifiman velours?

You are very up to date with stuff! Cutting the felt took me painstakingly long. Now I got all this felt crud on my clothes and all over my desk.

The microsuedes are a pretty "big" upgrade over the velours. Stock velours sound compressed compared to the microsuedes as the soundstage is about double in size. It gives a sense of better separation as there is finally "room" for everything. I think the bass goes a bit deeper too since I have the pads directly taped to the housing. I experienced channel imbalance with the stock pads since the retaining disc isn't perfectly flushed with the housing and/or bent a bit. Comfort is also a small improvement.

Overall, well worth the 80 bucks. Definitely more performance than a cable upgrade.

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #10,626 of 21,868
What does the stock leather LCD pads sound like on them.. Looks and feel wise I would like that , not looking to chNge the sound much though . So what the DILEO on that mod. Sound sig.??

Al D

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #10,627 of 21,868

You are very up to date with stuff! Cutting the felt took me painstakingly long. Now I got all this felt crud on my clothes and all over my desk.

The microsuedes are a pretty "big" upgrade over the velours. Stock velours sound compressed compared to the microsuedes as the soundstage is about double in size. It gives a sense of better separation as there is finally "room" for everything. I think the bass goes a bit deeper too since I have the pads directly taped to the housing. I experienced channel imbalance with the stock pads since the retaining disc isn't perfectly flushed with the housing and/or bent a bit. Comfort is also a small improvement.

Overall, well worth the 80 bucks. Definitely more performance than a cable upgrade.

Thanks for the confirmation! I was ready to cancel my order if you said it changed the tonal balance too much. I am glad to hear there's even a larger soundstage now, with better bass than velours. I'm excited! Thanks again. :)

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #10,628 of 21,868
  Thanks for the confirmation! I was ready to cancel my order if you said it changed the tonal balance too much. I am glad to hear there's even a larger soundstage now, with better bass than velours. I'm excited! Thanks again. :)

Almost no change in tonal balance! Getting them in a few days?

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #10,629 of 21,868
The issue with the mid range is the HE-500 mids are colored and more present.  The mids on the HE-6 are neutral, clean and even with the rest of the FR.  The mids are not pushed back.  Just not as lush and sexy as the HE-500s or the LCDs.  But if you want a neutral sounding headphone that's very transparent and clean, the HE-6 is for you.  If you want a lush and sexy mid range the HE-500 and LCDs are for you.  However, having a lush and sexy mid range can sound dark and thick with some music.  That's why those headphones are not known as jack of all trades..  IMO...

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #10,630 of 21,868

Almost no change in tonal balance! Getting them in a few days?

I hope so. I assumed it was going to be shipped before the weekend hit, but no luck so far...

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #10,631 of 21,868
  The issue with the mid range is the HE-500 mids are colored and more present.  The mids on the HE-6 are neutral, clean and even with the rest of the FR.  The mids are not pushed back.  Just not as lush and sexy as the HE-500s or the LCDs.  But if you want a neutral sounding headphone that's very transparent and clean, the HE-6 is for you.  If you want a lush and sexy mid range the HE-500 and LCDs are for you.  However, having a lush and sexy mid range can sound dark and thick with some music.  That's why those headphones are not known as jack of all trades..  IMO...

Once again, right on the money! I think we have similar ears and brain 
blink.gif

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #10,632 of 21,868

If I had a Master-7 then I would think the mids are perfect, but on my setup I want the full the mids forward just a tad. But to sacrifice that amazing treble is asking too much!

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #10,634 of 21,868
The 6s are the target of Stax mafia for a reason.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #10,635 of 21,868
Have they been picking on the HE6 Happy.  I have not seen much of them doing that but they like stats only for the most part.  I think once the hE6 are driven properly they are  outstanding. I have been having fun with them with my WA5 and said all along when I sold them the first time I was sorry I did .  I will be trying them with the WA23 4aklos and see how they drive them as well which I believe will also be another good. I like what the he6 brings to the table and for me they were always transparent and sounded excellent as they did with the Pioneer SX980 when I had that revive run the house.  Ypou were done of the few who hav estich with the hE6 form the beginning and never deviated form your opinion of them. I trull did miss them when they were gone and glad they are back in the stable for me again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back