HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 4, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #8,266 of 21,868
When I tried the HE-500, I was expecting something on the same level but a different flavor, but I immediately could tell it wasn't quite as good too. Keep the HE-6!
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #8,267 of 21,868
Quote:
When I tried the HE-500, I was expecting something on the same level but a different flavor, but I immediately could tell it wasn't quite as good too. Keep the HE-6!
bigsmile_face.gif

Indeed. I remember some thread where someone suggested the HE-500 is the successor to the HE-6. I'm sitting next to both. The HE-6 is on a clear and separate level up. However, for most music, I really enjoy the HE-500. I'm thinking about selling one soon, and I'm very torn on them. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #8,268 of 21,868
If you sell the '6' in a few months to catch my eye, at a price to catch the other eye 
wink_face.gif
, we might come to an understanding.

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #8,269 of 21,868
I sold the 5LEs, and the 4s.  I'm keeping the 6s of course and the HE-500s.  It's just something about them I like.  

They're not better technically than any of the others.  They just bring a different sound to my ears, a more lush sound with a tab bit of bass bloat which I like at times.  

So - keeping both for right now..  Plus I don't have to fire up the big boy all the time for them - they work perfectly fine on the head amps.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #8,270 of 21,868
Quote:
I sold the 5LEs, and the 4s.  I'm keeping the 6s of course and the HE-500s.  It's just something about them I like.  

They're not better technically than any of the others.  They just bring a different sound to my ears, a more lush sound with a tab bit of bass bloat which I like at times.  

So - keeping both for right now..  Plus I don't have to fire up the big boy all the time for them - they work perfectly fine on the head amps.

few words, explanation well explained!
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #8,274 of 21,868
Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif

But... but... that's like a whole mortgage payment right there!

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #8,275 of 21,868
Quote:

Quote:
You just have to walk away from the 6s like an old flame.

I think I get stuck not using them as much because they're so damned difficult to get music for. Anything less than superb on a recording sounds painful. The HE-500s sound good with just about anything. Of course, there's always chamber music, live jazz and such on the HE-6. Always brings a big dumb smile on my face. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #8,277 of 21,868
Quote:

I think I get stuck not using them as much because they're so damned difficult to get music for. Anything less than superb on a recording sounds painful. The HE-500s sound good with just about anything. Of course, there's always chamber music, live jazz and such on the HE-6. Always brings a big dumb smile on my face. 

I have a feeling that LPs would sound great on HE-6 (and HD800). Does anyone listen to LPs with HE-6? Am I off my rocker with this assumption?

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #8,279 of 21,868
Quote:

Little OT: sorry but where is your old avatar? i miss him so much
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #8,280 of 21,868
Quote:
So I've been seriously trying to convince myself to downgrade and save some money by dropping down to the HE-500. Today I finally had a chance to listen back to back and compare the HE-6 vs the HE-500... and no bones about it, I still prefer the HE-6. The detail and sense of air, low end delivery, and just overall "presence" feels better on the HE-6. It's not a huge difference, but it's immediately noticeable. Maybe there's some sort of expectation bias at play, but I *wanted* to like the HE-500 more and it just didn't happen. Sigh, this doesn't make my decision any easier guys.

Which of the HE6 / HE500 did you install the jergpads on? Or did you do the mod on both? That could have a significant impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back