HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 10, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #7,831 of 21,860
Quote:

A little dot 6 or an EF-6 won't give you that much improvement over the t60..... others may disagree, but that's where i stand on it. 

Really interesting comment as I have owned both for few months and somehow I do agree with you. I know you had a LD MKVI but didn't know you tried the Topping TP60.
When I just got the TP60 I was amazed how good  it sounded with the HE-6 and for a while I actually preferred it to my LD MKVI, being a bit more transparent with slightly better bass and treble extension. But for the last few weeks I enjoyed my MKVI+ so much with the HE-6 I haven't used the TP60 at all.
I agree the differences are subtle but IMO there is still something very special about the LD + HE6 with the right tubes, especially the mids and voices, which sound so realistic.
Are you using the Soloist with the HE-6 and do you think it sounds that much better than the LD? 
Despite enjoying my system very much I am still curious about the Burson and the EF6. 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #7,832 of 21,860
Quote:
You are not on your own with your view, others have told me the same. The jump would be a tough call especially if I wanted the EF-6 as it retails for about £1200 here in UK. I am very happy with the Topping
biggrin.gif

I agree that I will have to hear the EF-6 first before I throw that kind of money. Views and opinions about this amp are so divided. 
frown.gif
 But somehow I trust Fang Bian knows what he is doing and it is likely to be among the best amp for the HE-6 if you don't want to go for insane options like mono blocks or monster vintage amps.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #7,834 of 21,860
The great thing about the TP60 is that it doesn't have any signature, just very detailed and transparent with fantastic extension for both bass and treble. From memory it is very similar to the Shiit mjolnir, except I think the mjolnir has slightly stronger/better bass.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #7,835 of 21,860
Quote:
Really interesting comment as I have owned both for few months and somehow I do agree with you. I know you had a LD MKVI but didn't know you tried the Topping TP60.
When I just got the TP60 I was amazed how good  it sounded with the HE-6 and for a while I actually preferred it to my LD MKVI, being a bit more transparent with slightly better bass and treble extension. But for the last few weeks I enjoyed my MKVI+ so much with the HE-6 I haven't used the TP60 at all.
I agree the differences are subtle but IMO there is still something very special about the LD + HE6 with the right tubes, especially the mids and voices, which sound so realistic.
Are you using the Soloist with the HE-6 and do you think it sounds that much better than the LD? 
Despite enjoying my system very much I am still curious about the Burson and the EF6. 
rolleyes.gif

I really enjoyed the topping. It's really hard to describe it's sound signature other than really neutral. It doesn't emphasize anything, but still doesn't quite sound "cold". When I had my LD, I definitely went back and forth between it and speaker amps. There is something so very special with the sound of the Little Dot MKVI+. It strikes a really beautiful balance of warmth, control, spaciousness and detail. There are many days I miss that amplifier. 

Although the soloist has enough power for the HE-6, the matching isn't quite ideal. The Soloist sounds similar to the Mjolnir in terms of sound signature, a little bright on top. The result with the HE-6 isn't very relaxing. I don't think it would be fair to say the Soloist tops the Little Dot with the HE-6. I don't really know if the soloist tops the little dot at all. I think it would come down to personal preference overall. 

At the LA meet, I got to compare the T60, EF-6, Little Dot MKVI+, and Emotiva A-100. I would group the T60 and A-100 together and the EF-6 and MKVI+ together. The EF-6 and MKVI+ both sounded a little thin, but more detailed overall. The EF-6 had the most detail and the clearest sound, while the MKVI+ had a much smoother midrange and sound. The T60 and A-100 sounded more full, but had less details overall. I really liked my emotiva a-100 with the HE-6. It's a slightly colored speaker amp, that gives a little bump in bass. Results in a really smooth HE-6. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #7,836 of 21,860
Quote:
No real dedicated amps for the HE-6 except for a couple.

Even with the resistors the speaker amps blow away similarly priced dedicated amps. And  you are getting two for the price of one. The same amp does double duty as a speaker amp and also drives the HE-6. So if you have a good speaker amp already at home the cost is zilch.

i know this.i´ll explain my doubt.
it is not better to choose an amplifier stable at 50 ohm without the use of resistors?

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #7,837 of 21,860
Quote:
 I agree that I will have to hear the EF-6 first before I throw that kind of money. Views and opinions about this amp are so divided. 
frown.gif
 But somehow I trust Fang Bian knows what he is doing and it is likely to be among the best amp for the HE-6 if you don't want to go for insane options like mono blocks or monster vintage amps.

Insane? Who are you calling Insane?
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #7,838 of 21,860
Ooops! I meant impractical, of course 
redface.gif

Saying that, I heard  that some people are mad enough to own more than one of those monster receivers. Have you tried mono-blocks yet? 
biggrin.gif

@Elwappo99,
Thanks for the quick rundown. I think I am going to continue to enjoy my LD for a while and wait until I have a chance to check the EF-6.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #7,839 of 21,860
Ooops! I meant impractical, of course :xf_eek:
Saying that, I heard  that some people are mad enough to own more than one of those monster receivers. Have you tried mono-blocks yet? :D

@Elwappo99,
Thanks for the quick rundown. I think I am going to continue to enjoy my LD for a while and wait until I have a chance to check the EF-6.

Sounds to me like you are selling the EF-6 to yourself. Nothing wrong with that, just remember your bestest mate Spud when looking for a new home for the LD and those lush tubes :D

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #7,840 of 21,860
Quote:
Ooops! I meant impractical, of course 
redface.gif

Saying that, I heard  that some people are mad enough to own more than one of those monster receivers. Have you tried mono-blocks yet? 
biggrin.gif

More than one monster receiver... I don't know who you're talking about 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Funny you should mention mono blocks. I've been looking at these tube mono-blocks

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #7,841 of 21,860
Quote:
More than one monster receiver... I don't know who you're talking about 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Funny you should mention mono blocks. I've been looking at these tube mono-blocks

here we go!!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #7,844 of 21,860
No one in their right mind would pay $50 a pop for Sovtek 6AS7G (6N13S). You can buy them in bulk for $5 each with ease. That's what AtmaSphere does I promise you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back