HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #7,861 of 21,868
Quote:

So now that you've had it for a while, how did it work out over the Gungnir or V200?  

You mean Mjolnir but the V200 lost pretty easily. The Mjolnir is better for me but I see the Mjolnir as an amp for a specific purpose while the V200 is the more versatile one. It would be hard for the Mjolnir to be my only amp which it isn't but the V200 can be someone's only amp. What I mean is that the V200 can be used for sensitive customs (or iems in general), high sensitive headphones, more demanding headphones (short of the HE6 but does a respectable job but not as good as the Mjolnir). It also has a user adjustable gain which make it even more versatile. The Mjolnir requires your headphones to be terminated in some kind of balanced (4 pin or dual 3 pin XLR) and something that hopefully needs a good amount of power. With the HD800 and HE6 it sounds very good but it is connected to my HD800 permanently unless I upgrade which I don't see for now since I don't want to spend more money into this hobby for some time and focus on saving up. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #7,862 of 21,868
I am very excited. I bought a pair of HE6's and after 3 days sitting in NY they have finally cleared customs, so I should have them the day after tomorrow I think (I hope).

They are arriving with an HE-adapter. I will be driving them with my tube power amp - an old Audionics BA150 designed by David Berning. I just had it rebuilt with his input and $800 later it sounds better than it did new (thanks to some upgraded components). The sound signature has not changed but it makes my KEF 105.2 speakers sing even more than pre-rebuild, including 'mo better bass' like I'd never heard from them before (and they have always been fine).

The amp can be run at 40 watts or 150 watts, and I am hoping the HE6's like it.

I received a pair of Senn HD800's today and am knocked out by them. I'm thinking that the 2 together will make a nice small arsenal. 

Wish me luck with the amp.   

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #7,863 of 21,868
Quote:
I am very excited. I bought a pair of HE6's and after 3 days sitting in NY they have finally cleared customs, so I should have them the day after tomorrow I think (I hope).

They are arriving with an HE-adapter. I will be driving them with my tube power amp - an old Audionics BA150 designed by David Berning. I just had it rebuilt with his input and $800 later it sounds better than it did new (thanks to some upgraded components). The sound signature has not changed but it makes my KEF 105.2 speakers sing even more than pre-rebuild, including 'mo better bass' like I'd never heard from them before (and they have always been fine).

I received a pair of Senn HD800's today and am knocked out by them. I'm thinking that the 2 together will make a nice small arsenal. 

David Berning is an excellent tube amp/preamp designer. My favorite tube preamp was his TF-12. Good luck with your HE6-BA150.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #7,866 of 21,868
Quote:

Good luck.  don't forget to check back and gives us some impressions..

popcorn.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #7,869 of 21,868
Gentlemen, I thank you. Your luck arrived with the cans as they sound fantasic driven by the BA150 amp.

At 40 watts (vs the 150 at which it can also run)  this amp is a bit more refined sounding when driving my kef105.2 and DCM time window speakers. This seems to be holding true for the HE6's as well. There  is a bit more transparency evident at 40. This concurs with the impressions that David Berning conveyed to me when he was using the BA150 which (at least at the time of our conversation) was in his office rig. I had a very nice conversation with him about this amp before I purchased it .

I am not an engineer and I do not understand diddly about why some amps work well for people at "lower" watts with these headphones, yet others swear you must have x amount of wattage at a minimum. I tried to read through the threads and edumacate myself, and just got a headache for my efforts. I do know that I can hear what sounds good to me and I am used to listening through some pretty decent gear.

I am using the HE-Adapter.

These and the HD800's are the best headphones I've ever heard. I like them both a lot more then the K1000's and Grado PS1's (which have been my high water marks until now. I have never heard the electrostats or the R10s (shame on me!)). have to say its a hard call to give up one of these or the AT W3000ANV's I've got, but one must go. These are technically superior but the W3000's are so comfy and enjoyable.  

of course, needless to say, nothing really beats a good bose

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #7,870 of 21,868
Amazing, that's a very old amp. Its not often that one gets to purchase an amp owned and used by its designer.

Quote:
Gentlemen, I thank you. Your luck arrived with the cans as they sound fantasic driven by the BA150 amp.

At 40 watts (vs the 150 at which it can also run)  this amp is a bit more refined sounding when driving my kef105.2 and DCM time window speakers. This seems to be holding true for the HE6's as well. There  is a bit more transparency evident at 40. This concurs with the impressions that David Berning conveyed to me when he was using the BA150 which (at least at the time of our conversation) was in his office rig. I had a very nice conversation with him about this amp before I purchased it .

I am not an engineer and I do not understand diddly about why some amps work well for people at "lower" watts with these headphones, yet others swear you must have x amount of wattage at a minimum. I tried to read through the threads and edumacate myself, and just got a headache for my efforts. I do know that I can hear what sounds good to me and I am used to listening through some pretty decent gear.

I am using the HE-Adapter.

These and the HD800's are the best headphones I've ever heard. I like them both a lot more then the K1000's and Grado PS1's (which have been my high water marks until now. I have never heard the electrostats or the R10s (shame on me!)). have to say its a hard call to give up one of these or the AT W3000ANV's I've got, but one must go. These are technically superior but the W3000's are so comfy and enjoyable.  

of course, needless to say, nothing really beats a good bose

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #7,875 of 21,868
Have some one tried He-6 with Taboo Decware ? I think it may be good combination. 

I have used 1st watt F1 with my He-6, it is good, however, sometimes, I feel it reproduce an 'artificial sound' - not musical. It does not only mean dry but... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back