HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #6,031 of 21,868
Great avatar, though!
beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #6,032 of 21,868
It it a cool avatar, I agree. I am just trying to grasp the pronunciation of his user name. Is it I.E.M.-crazy or is it 'I am Crazy'? :wink:

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #6,035 of 21,868
Quote:
Yes sir - BTG is doing some of my Hard wire re cable work.  Trevor over at Norse cable is having a 15% off sale on the Norn series cables for the month of August.  I'm getting some bare ended with a 4-pin XLR connector then getting B at BTG to do the hard wire.  "Win Win"

So BTG is willing to do a hardwire with cables you provide to them?

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #6,039 of 21,868
Alright so some people here (mostly IEMCrazy) has posted at length about the quality of the pleather pads, which are the pads that came with my demo HE-6s and HE-500s.  I emailed my dealer and unfortunately he will not send the velour pads.  But right now, neither the HE-500s or HE-6s through my Lyr can compare to the HD700s.  I hear a particular congestion in the HE's, and almost a type of resonance and congestion of "standing waves" inside the ear cups in the midrange.  I feel like these cans should be capable of much more, but the fact is, I can't order a $1300 pair of headphones when I'm hearing them the way they sound now.  It would be a bit crazy to just take a gamble and say "well when I get my own set with the velour pads, it'll sound fantastic".  So my question, just how much of a sound difference is there between the velour pads?  Is it "night and day"?  If I don't really enjoy the house sound with the pleather pads, is it safe to say that changing the the velour pads won't be a revelation for me?

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #6,040 of 21,868
You biggest problem is the amp you're using, especially reading your comments in another thread about the anemic soundstage. The lyra is good enough to make them sound good, but they are capable of so much more than that amp can ever give
them. If you are set on the lyra, you will be better off with the he500.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #6,041 of 21,868
Couple things, give them a week or two to settle in, put both on a speaker amp. As for the differences between the pads, almost everyone chose to go back to the velour for the open feel and soundstage. I've not heard the pleather.

That center sound will not open up and sound right until these cans are powered properly.

It's a lot to drop though if you aren't happy with your setup. Many would change headphones as change gear. Much cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back