HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 6, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #20,807 of 21,867
Anyone test out oratory's Harman target response curve EQ preset for the HE6se? https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9o2f5n/psa_oratory1990s_list_of_eq_presets/)

I'm testing it out right now with some minor tweaks and it cleans up the mids, gives a better sense of separation between the bass and low-mids, while giving a nice, clean bass boost too. Treble was already smooth for me out of the box, so no complaints there. I'm driving the HE6 with a Liquid Platinum with the volume around 1-2 o'clock.

I was debating whether I wanted to keep the HE6 or not, but with some EQing, they fit my preferences better and are incredibly dynamic. As a reference, my favorite pair of headphones is the LCD-4 without any EQ. Now I'm thinking about trying out the HE6 with a speaker amp and seeing if it really does take them to another level.
Yes you should. IMO, that's the single biggest change you will do to find out how these phones can scale. Get a quality power supply. Not every amp is made equal.

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #20,808 of 21,867
Yes you should. IMO, that's the single biggest change you will do to find out how these phones can scale. Get a quality power supply. Not every amp is made equal.

Absolutely correct.

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #20,809 of 21,867
I just pulled the trigger on a new pair of HE-6SE, i have always wanted to listen to the legendary HE-6 so i figure with the few comfort upgrades on the SE now is my chance. Anyway my concern right now is my amp. I have a Oppo HA-1 is this going to be enough to sufficiently drive the HE-6?

Apr 9, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #20,810 of 21,867
"I have a Oppo HA-1 is this going to be enough to sufficiently drive the HE-6?"

The short answer is no. No doubt it will sound good but the HA-1 is rated at < 3 watts @ 50 Ohms and that, IMHO, is simply insufficient to adequately drive the HE-6's any near their potential. Listen to them with your Oppo headphone amp, then find a speaker amp, preferably rated at 80 watts or more, hook them directly up to the amp's speaker taps, front the amp with your HA-1 preamp and DAC, and decide for yourself if the Oppo supplies sufficient amplification to drive the HE-6's.

Apr 14, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #20,811 of 21,867
I actually quite like stock HE-6, the velour pads have the best FR from the bass up to the lower treble. Focus pads/Focus A pads are also pretty good. HE-6 just has an etch that HE-500 doesn't have to the same degree. I'm using Focus A pads on my HE-500.

Mods are hard to nail down. LFF's work is excellent. I changed mods depending on gear and other member taste's if modding for them so it's hard to say what will work best for you. You have the right idea with the felt and fuzzor. I also employ microifber cloth sometimes.
I dislike Focus pads. Something about the imaging and sound-stage is off. I prefer velour with both, and velpads just seems to sound most right out of all pads I've tried. Didn't like Dekoni pads either.

Generally, velour and particularly velpads seems to output realistic and natural decay that create the most realistic sense of sound stage. Dekoni sheepskin shortens the decay, sounding a bit damped in response, so doesn't compare well to velour material.

Right now I'm pretty satisfied with HE-6 being driven with BHA-1, but interested in trying out vintage receivers. Pass J2 and Woo WA5 are gone.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #20,812 of 21,867
HE-6 get to fine volume levels at the top of gain 2 on the Ragnarok. That's probably 4 watts at the load. For a few wild cuts it was able to suck most of the top gain (3) which is 10-12 watts. Anything under 2 watts probably would not work

Apr 15, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #20,813 of 21,867
Has anyone who has tried the he6se found it forward in the vocals?

I demoed.a pair that was literally straight out the box. Using my solid state cayin. 7w at 32 ohm

Everything was great except that the vocals specifically were forward. Perhaps shouty might be the term.

Has anybody found this?

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #20,814 of 21,867

I demoed.a pair that was literally straight out the box. Using my solid state cayin. 7w at 32 ohm

Everything was great except that the vocals specifically were forward. Perhaps shouty might be the term.

Has anybody found this?

Break in? Same set-up as the 6 you are used to? (amp, pads, cable, etc.)?

Apr 19, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #20,815 of 21,867

Has anybody found this?

With the Pali pads (which I assume are stock on the HE-6SE), I found ~2.5 kHz - 5 kHz to be a bit too forward for me. If you can EQ, I'd try pulling this region back a bit.

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #20,816 of 21,867
Apr 20, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #20,817 of 21,867
With the Pali pads (which I assume are stock on the HE-6SE), I found ~2.5 kHz - 5 kHz to be a bit too forward for me. If you can EQ, I'd try pulling this region back a bit.
In the 20 mins i demoed it it was like it was just the vocals particularly that were forward.

Apr 20, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #20,818 of 21,867
In the 20 mins i demoed it it was like it was just the vocals particularly that were forward.

Vocals just “pops out” and is more distinct with my HE6 than with my old V2 and SE. HE6 is a real class act than it comes to texture, depth and layers. Better than all the other headphones I have heard in those regards. The opposite of this “pops out” is a wall of sound.

Apr 21, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #20,819 of 21,867
Interesting experience I recently had is that with a certain amp, the sound started distorting when the track had high intensity bass passages. When the bass came out, the HE6 started to distort. This tells me, it need sufficient immediate power.

Apr 21, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #20,820 of 21,867
The HiFiMan HE6se loaner on tour came in and I have started to compare it to my early original HE6 and honestly it is not even close. The original is easily distinguishable as better. Also the HE6se needs even more power than the original to get to the same volume. I had almost ordered the SE but right now that isn't likely. I have a week with it so maybe things could change. I have no real mods on my HE6 other thant changing the mini coaxial connector changed to a pigtail Audeze connector and putting the Focus A pads on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back