1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jigf, May 21, 2010.
First

Back
1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387
1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394
Next

Last
  1. Happy Camper

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  2. Happy Camper
    Yes you should. IMO, that's the single biggest change you will do to find out how these phones can scale. Get a quality power supply. Not every amp is made equal.

3. rlawli
    Yes you should. IMO, that's the single biggest change you will do to find out how these phones can scale. Get a quality power supply. Not every amp is made equal.

Absolutely correct.

4. Audiofiend1
    I just pulled the trigger on a new pair of HE-6SE, i have always wanted to listen to the legendary HE-6 so i figure with the few comfort upgrades on the SE now is my chance. Anyway my concern right now is my amp. I have a Oppo HA-1 is this going to be enough to sufficiently drive the HE-6?

5. rlawli
    "I have a Oppo HA-1 is this going to be enough to sufficiently drive the HE-6?"

The short answer is no. No doubt it will sound good but the HA-1 is rated at < 3 watts @ 50 Ohms and that, IMHO, is simply insufficient to adequately drive the HE-6's any near their potential. Listen to them with your Oppo headphone amp, then find a speaker amp, preferably rated at 80 watts or more, hook them directly up to the amp's speaker taps, front the amp with your HA-1 preamp and DAC, and decide for yourself if the Oppo supplies sufficient amplification to drive the HE-6's.

Oregonian likes this.
  6. SilverEars
    I dislike Focus pads. Something about the imaging and sound-stage is off. I prefer velour with both, and velpads just seems to sound most right out of all pads I've tried. Didn't like Dekoni pads either.

Generally, velour and particularly velpads seems to output realistic and natural decay that create the most realistic sense of sound stage. Dekoni sheepskin shortens the decay, sounding a bit damped in response, so doesn't compare well to velour material.

Right now I'm pretty satisfied with HE-6 being driven with BHA-1, but interested in trying out vintage receivers. Pass J2 and Woo WA5 are gone.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    cskippy likes this.
  7. bagwell359
    HE-6 get to fine volume levels at the top of gain 2 on the Ragnarok. That's probably 4 watts at the load. For a few wild cuts it was able to suck most of the top gain (3) which is 10-12 watts. Anything under 2 watts probably would not work

8. thecrow
    Has anyone who has tried the he6se found it forward in the vocals?

I demoed.a pair that was literally straight out the box. Using my solid state cayin. 7w at 32 ohm

Everything was great except that the vocals specifically were forward. Perhaps shouty might be the term.

Has anybody found this?

9. bagwell359
    Break in? Same set-up as the 6 you are used to? (amp, pads, cable, etc.)?

10. Feilong4
    With the Pali pads (which I assume are stock on the HE-6SE), I found ~2.5 kHz - 5 kHz to be a bit too forward for me. If you can EQ, I'd try pulling this region back a bit.

11. thecrow
    I don't have the he6, if that’s what you mean?

12. thecrow
    In the 20 mins i demoed it it was like it was just the vocals particularly that were forward.

13. Articnoise
    Vocals just “pops out” and is more distinct with my HE6 than with my old V2 and SE. HE6 is a real class act than it comes to texture, depth and layers. Better than all the other headphones I have heard in those regards. The opposite of this “pops out” is a wall of sound.

14. SilverEars
    Interesting experience I recently had is that with a certain amp, the sound started distorting when the track had high intensity bass passages. When the bass came out, the HE6 started to distort. This tells me, it need sufficient immediate power.

15. Audio Addict Contributor
    The HiFiMan HE6se loaner on tour came in and I have started to compare it to my early original HE6 and honestly it is not even close. The original is easily distinguishable as better. Also the HE6se needs even more power than the original to get to the same volume. I had almost ordered the SE but right now that isn't likely. I have a week with it so maybe things could change. I have no real mods on my HE6 other thant changing the mini coaxial connector changed to a pigtail Audeze connector and putting the Focus A pads on it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
First

Back
1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387
1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394
Next

Last