HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 30, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #20,026 of 21,868
According to HiFiMAN's Evolution of Planar Technology Chart, the successor to HE6's symmetrical magnetic circuit & gold-coated diaphram was the HE500, which is also no longer officially available. People generally seem to have a strong preference for the 7 year-old HE6. It's difficult to even find them used -- I've been outbid several times now for people willing to pay far more than what I think the used value should be considering the various issues with comfort and build quality. So it seems to be a large gaping hole in the market for something like this. Wouldn't it be cool if, along with the current $3,000+ offerings, they collaborated with Massdrop on a version of HE6 with a couple quirks improved, for around $700-$900? I'd think that would be a hit.

SUSVARA-02.jpg

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #20,027 of 21,868
2 questions:

1. When posters speak of having "fully modded" their He-6, what particular "mods" are they referring to?Personally, I have replaced the stock cable on mine with the Norne Draug 2 cable, and I like the results. I am also about to experiment with the ZMF Ori and the Dekoni Th900 pads, but beyond that, I can only attempt "moderate," "non invasive," and fully reversible mods on my unit. What mods in the described class might I try in order to improve the sound of my He-6?

2. If anyone has experimented with both the ZMF Ori and Dekoni pads, could they give a brief description of their comparative sonic impressions? Also what is the best way to position the Ori pads on the He-6? (I see that the Ori pads have an uneven shape from both the viewpoint of their "thickness"--since they look tapered in thickness-- and also, from how they look when viewed as they appear below). Which of the two sides of each pad (bigger or smaller side) should be positioned on the front end of the He-6, by which I mean the end of the He-6 that aligns with the face (as opposed to the end that aligns with the back of the ears)?

Thanks if advance for any helpful responses.

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #20,028 of 21,868
2 questions:

1. When posters speak of having "fully modded" their He-6, what particular "mods" are they referring to?Personally, I have replaced the stock cable on mine with the Norne Draug 2 cable, and I like the results. I am also about to experiment with the ZMF Ori and the Dekoni Th900 pads, but beyond that, I can only attempt "moderate," "non invasive," and fully reversible mods on my unit. What mods in the described class might I try in order to improve the sound of my He-6?

2. If anyone has experimented with both the ZMF Ori and Dekoni pads, could they give a brief description of their comparative sonic impressions? Also what is the best way to position the Ori pads on the He-6? (I see that the Ori pads have an uneven shape from both the viewpoint of their "thickness"--since they look tapered in thickness-- and also, from how they look when viewed as they appear below). Which of the two sides of each pad (bigger or smaller side) should be positioned on the front end of the He-6, by which I mean the end of the He-6 that aligns with the face (as opposed to the end that aligns with the back of the ears)?

I was referring to how they appear below:

MD-33071_20170213101954_09349faa39390a71.jpg

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #20,029 of 21,868
Which of the two sides of each pad (bigger or smaller side) should be positioned on the front end of the He-6, by which I mean the end of the He-6 that aligns with the face (as opposed to the end that aligns with the back of the ears)?

The thicker sides always go to the back & the thinner sides go you front towards your face.

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #20,030 of 21,868
According to HiFiMAN's Evolution of Planar Technology Chart, the successor to HE6's symmetrical magnetic circuit & gold-coated diaphram was the HE500, which is also no longer officially available. People generally seem to have a strong preference for the 7 year-old HE6. It's difficult to even find them used -- I've been outbid several times now for people willing to pay far more than what I think the used value should be considering the various issues with comfort and build quality. So it seems to be a large gaping hole in the market for something like this. Wouldn't it be cool if, along with the current $3,000+ offerings, they collaborated with Massdrop on a version of HE6 with a couple quirks improved, for around $700-$900? I'd think that would be a hit.

SUSVARA-02.jpg
Im also wondering why they never sold any refurbished unit of the HE-6 in their store site (which I included among my homepages should there be a sudden release of maybe few pre-owned units).

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #20,031 of 21,868
I was told by customer service they were keeping any left over HE-6 units to use as warranty replacements.

I still check the Hifiman store regularly just in case...

:)

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #20,032 of 21,868
Hopefully they'll release a lower priced version of the Susvara (that is still supposed to be an improvement on the HE-6) like they did with the HEK. But I hope it's less than half the cost of the Susvara, unlike the HEX initially was to the HEK.

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #20,035 of 21,868
Jul 6, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #20,036 of 21,868
I mean of course, and honestly I don't think it'll be much longer. It's regularly down to $1400 and below. And that's assuming we doing have v3 before holiday season...

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #20,037 of 21,868
I was told by customer service they were keeping any left over HE-6 units to use as warranty replacements.

I still check the Hifiman store regularly just in case...

:)

I can verify this to be a fact. I found what I assume to be one of the last BNiB HE-6 in the world(in this thread actually)back around Jan,2017.Back in June the left driver up and died and I feared the worst.

After several emails and phone calls with HiFiMan customer service I had a " refurbished" HE-6 sent to my home as a replacement. The confusion on their end was a bit comedic.It was clear they havent come across too many HE-6s still under warranty by the way they handled it,but I did get a replacement.If it was a refurbished pair I couldnt tell the difference between it and a new pair.

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #20,040 of 21,868
So the last couple HE6's on Head-Fi for sale have been listed for $1,100. Per supply/demand rules, that might make sense, except that I hear about so many QC issues with these and other HiFiMAN headphones. I'm wondering what the chance is that a used pair will malfunction and need repair, and how much that would cost not having a warranty. OTOH it sounds like there's zero chance that they will put a comparably priced HE6 successor on the market when they are promoting the Susvara. I'm jealous of that warranty Monsterzero :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back