HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 13, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #20,056 of 21,868
Ok I have 2 speakers amp then.... just use any of them. :)

You will need a speaker tap cable for that to work,preferably with no resistors.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #20,058 of 21,868
Thanks but first I have to find a HE-6 in good condition. :)

That seems to be going around a lot lately...getting harder to find,unfortunately.

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #20,059 of 21,868
Two threads to check that Rag/HE6 combo is here and amps that can drive the HE-6. From what I've read, it wasn't as good as a reasonably priced speaker amp.
I read alot of positives regarding the Ragnarok and He-6.. The negative ones, where they tested with the XLR out or the Jack out? The jack plug in the Ragnarok is more like a convinience port. doesnt realy sound good compared to the XLR:

Jul 14, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #20,060 of 21,868
I read alot of positives regarding the Ragnarok and He-6.. The negative ones, where they tested with the XLR out or the Jack out? The jack plug in the Ragnarok is more like a convinience port. doesnt realy sound good compared to the XLR:

Here's a quote from one of the 7 reviewers of the Ragnarok on Head-Fi.... pairing with HE-6.

Best headphone pairings? Hard to say. I'll start by talking about the three which with I've spent the most time so far, but I can't say that anything thus far sounds less than "good" with the Ragnarok. That's a bigger compliment than it sounds.

Probably the closest to "match made in heaven" is the HE-6. Nothing else in my stable controls it as well. And, with the HE-6, that is always the challenging part: Enough power and good control of that power? Check and check. I like the HE-6 with relatively neutral amps and signal chains and feel like it is capable of magic under the right circumstances. This combination does not disappoint. Run, don't walk.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #20,063 of 21,868
I think match is the key word regarding HE-6 as well as with all other headphones. Power, current or whatever doesn't tell us much except the ballpark: If the amp will provide at least about 2W in 50 Ohms there is enough power.

There has been a lot of people saying for a very long time that HE-6 needs a beast of a speaker amp or else it will sound thin, anaemic etc. This issue - in my experience - is fixed when the headphone is modded properly. I have never read anyone complaining about lack of bass, thin sound etc. when HE-6 cups has been sealed to a pleather/leather pad made with memory foam. This ensures sub bass extension and punch.

I have measured my HE-6 driven with Audio-gd Master 6 (7W @ 50 Ohm) and Burson Soloist (1,7W @ 50 Ohm) and finding absolutely zero difference in output in bass, mids and treble at respectively 70dB and 101dB. And I hear more bass extension with HE-6 driven directly from my HM901s with Balanced amp card than a DIY headphone amp rated at 5W @ 50 Ohm. So, to me it's a proof that it's a matter of amp character, not power or current.

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #20,064 of 21,868
I think the most important bit to take away from the longstanding HE-6 amping debate is that most headphone amps are ridiculously overpriced and that it is very possible to find a speaker amp that secures equal or superior SYNERGY with the HE-6 for less cost than most headamps, while simultaneously the HE-6 is quite capable of scaling with higher-priced setups. The real question is why would one bother with a headamp at all unless one was tied down to a headamp already?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #20,065 of 21,868
I think the most important bit to take away from the longstanding HE-6 amping debate is that most headphone amps are ridiculously overpriced and that it is very possible to find a speaker amp that secures equal or superior SYNERGY with the HE-6 for less cost than most headamps, while simultaneously the HE-6 is quite capable of scaling with higher-priced setups. The real question is why would one bother with a headamp at all unless one was tied down to a headamp already?
It's obvious. This site is a marketing tool to sell headphone gear. The HE has opened an option that no one considers with the push for the newest, shiny bobble. The hype engages many to participate by buying and having a say in the dialogue that sells.

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #20,067 of 21,868
That is beauty of HE-6, amp can be used with speakers or with HE-6.

I got devialet 120 only to use with HE-6, latter got harbeth speakers and discovered new world of music with speakers.

IMG_4382.JPG

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #20,068 of 21,868
One needs a rather large desk to pull this off...1979 Kenwood Eleven GX,125wpc into 8 ohms :wink:
19577183_10155775269990288_8520342444449672184_o (1).jpg

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #20,070 of 21,868
Speaking of small desks. Mine is kinda maxed out. Getting a seiviking stand for the He-6 but I'm not sure where to place it..

What about unstacking the Yggy and Rag and putting them on either side of the desk with the monitor in-between them? At least then you could center everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back