HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 13, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #19,636 of 21,867
I live in Massachusetts, but I wouldn't mind driving to Buffalo to pick it up at the border if the seller wouldn't mind meeting me there...  I also do not know how customs would deal with a used amp... Does one normally have to pay duties/taxes on used items?

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #19,638 of 21,867

UcD modules are quite old nowadays, having been originally designed by Bruno Putzeys back in the... I want to say late 90's/early 2000's? (don't quote me on that). The Ncore modules are the latest from him and in terms of measurements a marked improvement.

In the world of class D, there are actually very very few companies out there who produce their "own" amps as it were. Almost all of them drop in turn-key solutions (the B&O Icepower modules being the most ubiquitous). Even many places that sell their own modules are often just chips from TI or wherever done up in a package. This is usually the reason for the poor acceptance of class-D, as most are drop-in puzzle pieces in a fancy case.

First time that I played with Ucd400, and compare it with nfb 28 H option (20015). I felt that base is more noticable and treble has been smoothed a little. But, one hour later, I ran into more serious listening test, and I couldn't justify myself that Ucd400 and nfb28 sound different. Difference was more about different volume.

I had NC500 at my hand, but I hadn't had the gut to connect he6 to it.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #19,639 of 21,867
UcD modules are quite old nowadays, having been originally designed by Bruno Putzeys back in the... I want to say late 90's/early 2000's? (don't quote me on that). The Ncore modules are the latest from him and in terms of measurements a marked improvement.

In the world of class D, there are actually very very few companies out there who produce their "own" amps as it were. Almost all of them drop in turn-key solutions (the B&O Icepower modules being the most ubiquitous). Even many places that sell their own modules are often just chips from TI or wherever done up in a package. This is usually the reason for the poor acceptance of class-D, as most are drop-in puzzle pieces in a fancy case.

Slightly OT, what's your opinion on the devialet units? Class A+D, a lot of people swear by them apparently . Peaked my interest recently because of the size and simplicity. Their DAC specs are quite insane if true.

http://en.devialet.com/expertpro/discover

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #19,640 of 21,867
I can only recount experiences from friends of mine. Granted, these are people from whom I generally have similar frames of reference, so I trust their opinions to more or less line up with mine.

First time that I played with Ucd400, and compare it with nfb 28 H option (20015). I felt that base is more noticable and treble has been smoothed a little. But, one hour later, I ran into more serious listening test, and I couldn't justify myself that Ucd400 and nfb28 sound different. Difference was more about different volume.

I had NC500 at my hand, but I hadn't had the gut to connect he6 to it.

You shouldn't have been afraid just because it had a lot of power. As long as you keep volume turned down at first, it will be fine. Class D amps also typically do not have issues of inrush currents like more traditional class a/b amps.

Slightly OT, what's your opinion on the devialet units? Class A+D, a lot of people swear by them apparently . Peaked my interest recently because of the size and simplicity. Their DAC specs are quite insane if true.

http://en.devialet.com/expertpro/discover

I have a NuPrime IDA-8 which is a similar class A + D topology. From what I've read, Devialet is better, but not hugely so. But I have a friend who has heard NCores and found it a significant leap up from the NuPrime. So not a direct comparison, but perhaps leaning ever so slightly in NCores favour? I think in general NCore builds can be had a bit cheaper than Devialet, although you can't deny that the latter has a fantastic aesthetic and overall more functionality.

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #19,641 of 21,867
  Correct- I want to use them for the HM5 pads.

I am not sure the $10 pads or any of the hifi-man pads come with the rings.  There is no indication on the Hifi-man website that they are included.

PM me your address. I'll send you a pair.  Have a few of them................

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #19,642 of 21,867

You shouldn't have been afraid just because it had a lot of power. As long as you keep volume turned down at first, it will be fine. Class D amps also typically do not have issues of inrush currents like more traditional class a/b amps.

Next time that I had a chance, I would definitely give it a try.

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #19,643 of 21,867
On the recommendation of of one of the participants in this thread I have installed the HM5 angled pleather pads.   After back and forth between them and the Audeze suede pads- it is obvious that the HM5 BLOW the Audeze suede away.    The Audeze clearly smear the sound in comparison.  The HM5 are crystal clear and dynamic. They have serious punching power, superb detail and near Audeze fullness (without the veil or mud)- absolutely excellent.  I tried different materials to line the inner ring of the ear-pads and the best to my ears by far is "sorbathane". Sorbathane keeps the sound sounding fuller and smoother without slowing down, muddling, or removing one iota of detail to my ears.

I do not like the grill mod with the HM5/ Sorbathane mod at all.  Yes- the soundstage is increased but bass and intimacy is lost. Maybe one of the other mods would compensate for the deficiencies of the grill mod. but I am not interested in fooling around with what I perceive to be just stunning sound.

I have owned all the great electro stats including 007, 009, and HE-90.  I have owned many of the non-electro stats like LCD-3F, LA-900, HD800, HE1000.

The inexpensive HE-6 with the HM5/ Sorbathane mod. is simply superior to all of them (overall) and is the best headphone experience I ever heard.  Detail and transparency are so so close to the electro stats with the addition of superior bass, fullness of sound, and incredible impact.  These additions are CRITICAL to my headphone experience.  Soundstage is just right- meaning not the biggest I ever heard but convincingly large and without loosing intimacy. Besides this one mod. all I have done is add a suspension strap for comfort.  I do plan to hardwire the cable although only for practical (as the connectors are poor) reasons as I do not believe sonics will be effected much.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #19,644 of 21,867
  On the recommendation of of one of the participants in this thread I have installed the HM5 angled pleather pads.   After back and forth between them and the Audeze suede pads- it is obvious that the HM5 BLOW the Audeze suede away.    The Audeze clearly smear the sound in comparison.  The HM5 are crystal clear and dynamic. They have serious punching power, superb detail and near Audeze fullness (without the veil or mud)- absolutely excellent.  I tried different materials to line the inner ring of the ear-pads and the best to my ears by far is "sorbathane". Sorbathane keeps the sound sounding fuller and smoother without slowing down, muddling, or removing one iota of detail to my ears.

The inexpensive HE-6 with the HM5/ Sorbathane mod. is simply superior to all of them (overall) and is the best headphone experience I ever heard.  Detail and transparency are so so close to the electro stats with the addition of superior bass, fullness of sound, and incredible impact.  These additions are CRITICAL to my headphone experience.  Soundstage is just right- meaning not the biggest I ever heard but convincingly large and without loosing intimacy. Besides this one mod. all I have done is add a suspension strap for comfort.  I do plan to hardwire the cable although only for practical (as the connectors are poor) reasons as I do not believe sonics will be effected much.

Can you kindly provide a link to the sorbathane you used? There seems to be different thickness available.

Thanks.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #19,646 of 21,867
Im wondering how different the hm5 angled sound vs the hifiman pleather pads. Has anyone compared?

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #19,647 of 21,867
I have received a PM or two regarding the sorbothane used.   Mine is the Duro 40- around 2mm thick.  I found that to much sorbothane in the inner ring of the ear pad is actually counterproductive.  Less is more; so I cut different size cubes - around 6 and installed them with spacing in the inner ring of the ear-pad.  This sounds the fullest and smoothest to me (better than a full non-spaced strip)- and I believe this is the most correct sound IMHO.

I know nothing about acoustic damping so please do not question me on details.  I am no expert- just reporting my findings.  3M- the manufacturer of sorbothane recommends not overdoing it- and leaving some spaces as I did- they claim it does it's job better.  See their instructions online yourself. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #19,648 of 21,867
  Anyone else have opinion to share about the angled HM5 pads vs Audeze micro suede?

Im wondering how different the hm5 angled sound vs the hifiman pleather pads. Has anyone compared?

I'll test it out this weekend as I have both pads. Just need to get some double sided tape...

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #19,649 of 21,867
These are measurements I took of a couple Brainwavz pads.  I included stock pads as well as the Audeze micro suede.

NOTE: The first Brainwavz angled velour pad is with no grills and no other mods.  The rest of the Brainwavz measurements were done with additional mods.  To understand how they will alter the sound by themselves simply note the changes from the modded angled velour measurements to stock with the angled velour pads.  The frequency response pivots around 1kHz raising both the low and high end.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #19,650 of 21,867
Oh, and if it isn't obvious my recommendation would be the Angled Velour pads if you're choosing from Brainwavz pads.  They improve imaging, absorb the most reflections and are comfy as hell!  They give a smoother response than the Audeze suede pads too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back