HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 9, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #19,606 of 21,868
$299 as I recall for the complete phone. Don't know if the headband can be bought alone

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #19,607 of 21,868
  Hi guys!
It has been a while since I have T1. I'm using it balanced with nfb28 2015 H option. And I have nothing to complain about.
On the other hand, I always wanted to try He6. Especially as people praise it for its bass and how good it could be with rock/metal song. But I have had deep concerns about build quality of those beasts. I have seen many people have their he6's drivers replaced. Many have their cable replaced too. As I live in a country that using warranty from Hifiman is somehow impossible, I can't risk on having an unreliable product. My question from you is that how reliable do you think the latest production batch of he6 is? Do you think that they are as reliable as other flagship headphones like hd800 or t1?

I just wanted to reply to this old post of mine (about 8 months ago) and state that build quality is really an issue.
I have had he6 for less than 4 months.
  • Cable has been oxidized (near the head phone)
  • They have used a subsidiary xlr socket brand that is a cheaper version of neutric connectors and it's a real shame for a 1300$ headphone
  • The color of some metal parts that have more contact with my hands are fading.
  • Most importantly, SMC connector is really ******** for headphone. I'm suffering from regular signal disconnection on left side. Although connection between cable and headphone is physically stiff. Whenever I move my head even the slightest moves make signal to be disconnected on the left side. Is there any chance that this regular connection/disconnection of signal hurt he6 driver and make it burn or something?
Build quality is not on par with even 300$ headphone. I don't care about build quality as long as it doesn't affect my listening experience. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #19,609 of 21,868
I just wanted to reply to this old post of mine (about 8 months ago) and state that build quality is really an issue.
I have had he6 for less than 4 months.
  1. Cable has been oxidized (near the head phone)
  2. They have used a subsidiary xlr socket brand that is a cheaper version of neutric connectors and it's a real shame for a 1300$ headphone
  3. The color of some metal parts that have more contact with my hands are fading.
  4. Most importantly, SMC connector is really ******** for headphone. I'm suffering from regular signal disconnection on left side. Although connection between cable and headphone is physically stiff. Whenever I move my head even the slightest moves make signal to be disconnected on the left side. Is there any chance that this regular connection/disconnection of signal hurt he6 driver and make it burn or something?
Build quality is not on par with even 300$ headphone. I don't care about build quality as long as it doesn't affect my listening experience. 

Regarding #4, I found that the connector on the left tends to unscrew itself...maybe something to do with using the headphone, putting it away, whatever I am doing with it in practice, even with aftermarket cables. I have tried to really tighten it up, and it seems ok lately, but I do find myself checking its tightness every now and then, like a nervous tick.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #19,610 of 21,868
Regarding #4, I found that the connector on the left tends to unscrew itself...maybe something to do with using the headphone, putting it away, whatever I am doing with it in practice, even with aftermarket cables. I have tried to really tighten it up, and it seems ok lately, but I do find myself checking its tightness every now and then, like a nervous tick.

I experienced the same 2 months ago. I was checking whether it's loose or to tight all the time.
It has been 3 weeks that a new problem appeared and left side is going disconnected all the time. I don't know what is the next step. But I'm sure if it doesn't hurt the driver, I will replace this bullsh*t connector with 2.5mm ones.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #19,612 of 21,868
  @jarnopp @heart banger-97

Simply twist the cable counter clockwise couple turns and screw the connector in while holding the cable still. They will never come loose after you do this.

Good advice.  I also use a 6mm open end wrench to gently snug them.  Had no issues with my HE-400 or HE-6 with loosening. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #19,613 of 21,868
  @jarnopp @heart banger-97

Simply twist the cable counter clockwise couple turns and screw the connector in while holding the cable still. They will never come loose after you do this.

Thanks for advice.
But, currently, connectors are not getting loos. Problem is that left driver is connecting/disconnecting all the time even with the slightest move.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #19,614 of 21,868
Thanks for advice.
But, currently, connectors are not getting loos. Problem is that left driver is connecting/disconnecting all the time even with the slightest move.

Sounds like a loose connection inside the plug

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #19,615 of 21,868
HE6 Noob Question:

I just got an HE6 and am planning on driving it from the speaker taps of a Sansui 881....

Question is it better to hook them up direct to taps with no resistor or with a product like this?

https://www.moon-audio.com/hifiman-he-adapter.html

Peterek is making me a cable terminated in 4 speaker cables for direct connection,but just wanna double check before I blow my house up

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #19,616 of 21,868
HE6 Noob Question:

I just got an HE6 and am planning on driving it from the speaker taps of a Sansui 881....

Question is it better to hook them up direct to taps with no resistor or with a product like this?

Peterek is making me a cable terminated in 4 speaker cables for direct connection,but just wanna double check before I blow my house up

Direct. He adapter degrades sound quality.
Xon
Make sure you turn the sansui on, turn the volume knob on the sansui all the way down then connect the he6. Slowly turn the volume up while playing music. Once you are comfortable with the volume levels and know the safe range you don't have to turn it all the way down before connecting everytime, although that's a good practice.

Your sansui is 60w into 8 ohm so you will get a quite a bit of volume range to play with.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #19,617 of 21,868
Jan 12, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #19,618 of 21,868
WA5 is superb with the HE6. I am finding the Simaudio 430HA gives my WA5 serious competition for my HE6 listening time.

If the budget goes far enough to cover the 430HA it is a worthy contender for HE6 amping.

I noted youbhave vio v281. Is he6 better with simaudio unit or v281

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #19,619 of 21,868
  HE6 Noob Question:

Direct is the way to go like @Rockin_Zombie said.

Here is where I purchased mine... https://www.dysonaudio.com/collections/headphone/products/new-handmade-dyson-audio-spofhc-hifiman-he-6-he-5le-he-4-binding-post-adapter

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #19,620 of 21,868
I noted youbhave vio v281. Is he6 better with simaudio unit or v281

That is an old post you are quoting there. I have dropped all SS headphone amps - no longer use them.

I use a custom 300B headamp to drive a Utopia or HE6, and my power amp to drive my HE6. If you have a nice power amp or integrated speaker amp with a spare set of speaker taps, then that is what I would use for the HE6.

Details of my setup are in my sig. I would not recommend either V281 or 430HA to drive the HE6. A speaker amp is what I would recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back