HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 20, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #17,611 of 21,879
  Really gotta disagree with that statement for the HE6 and the HD800. These cans are different beasts when modded, and I would hope (guess) that many (most?) enthusiasts that own these cans will run them modded. My view is that modding the HE6 and HD800 is so common that it is almost a 'standard' thing to do, at least for hardcore HeadFi'ers.

Did you see the recent run of videos by Tyll @ InnerFidelity? He runs the HD800 modded for his testing because the headphone is so much better that running the unmodded version is almost pointless. I am suggesting that the same logic applies to the HE6.

As always, YMMV.

Well of course it can sound better with mods. What I meant was that if you modify one headphone, but don't modify another, then compare the two, it's not going to be the fairest comparison.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #17,612 of 21,879
Well of course it can sound better with mods. What I meant was that if you modify one headphone, but don't modify another, then compare the two, it's not going to be the fairest comparison.

I don't remember what any of them sound like stock.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #17,613 of 21,879

My point is that the modding of the HE6 and HD800 is so mainstream that there is perhaps little point in using an unmodded version in any comparison. Who cares what folks think about the unmodded HE6 or HD800 when most owners that would be reading such a comparison have modded the headphone? At least, that is my take on it.

I have zero interest in reading about the unmodded HE6 / HD800, because I know how different (and better) the modded versions are. As far as I know, modding the Abyss is nowhere near as prevalent as it is for the HE6 and HD800, so comparing a modded HE6 or HD800 to an unmodded Abyss seems valid to me.

I am guessing that is why Tyll uses the modded version of the HD800 in his testing vs other headphones in the recent reports on InnerFidelity.

Once again, YMMV, but this is where I am coming from.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #17,614 of 21,879

Ha.  They don't seem to bother the engineer in Nelson Pass and Kevin Gilmore / Justin Wilson.  I'll side with them on this one. 

wink_face.gif

Vertical fins will give better heat transfer via convection - engineering fact (I haven't used my chemical engineering degree in over 20 years, but I do remember this).

Precisely. Though I suppose if the fins are long enough and the amp doesn't get *that* hot, then simply pulling heat out to the extremites is sufficient and only minimal convection is required.

An interesting thought experiment is if the sides were vented along with the fins, plus vents at the bottom. This would allow air to come up into the amp then out the sides. It could potentially result in a larger conductive/convective surface rathern than air simply flowing from bottom to top... but I would need to crunch some numbers for that. Natural convection is much much slower than people think.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #17,615 of 21,879
I don't remember what any of them sound like stock.

Nice!
ksc75smile.gif

(I turned the treble knob all the way up on a speaker amp driving one of my old STAX systems, and it still wasn't as painfully bright and harsh as the stock HD 800 I heard—on a MOON Neo 430HA and Sennheiser HDVD 800, which both sounded the same to me—was, though it was usually only noticeable with some non-acoustic music. Stock HE6 barely has any problems at all as far as FR goes.)

My point is that the modding of the HE6 and HD800 is so mainstream that there is perhaps little point in using an unmodded version in any comparison. Who cares what folks think about the unmodded HE6 or HD800 when most owners that would be reading such a comparison have modded the headphone? At least, that is my take on it.

I have zero interest in reading about the unmodded HE6 / HD800, because I know how different (and better) the modded versions are. As far as I know, modding the Abyss is nowhere near as prevalent as it is for the HE6 and HD800, so comparing a modded HE6 or HD800 to an unmodded Abyss seems valid to me.

I am guessing that is why Tyll uses the modded version of the HD800 in his testing vs other headphones in the recent reports on InnerFidelity.

Once again, YMMV, but this is where I am coming from.

You do have a good point. It would be hilarious if the HE6 turned into an impactful monster (instead of sounding fine, but not visceral at all, which is what I experienced) just from mods, without changing the amp. I do recall a few reporting that the HE1000 becomes much more engaging with the Audeze vegan pads too.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #17,616 of 21,879

You do have a good point. It would be hilarious if the HE6 turned into an impactful monster (instead of sounding fine, but not visceral at all, which is what I experienced) just from mods, without changing the amp. I do recall a few reporting that the HE1000 becomes much more engaging with the Audeze vegan pads too.

Visceral is exactly the word I would use to describe a HE6 that is well modded and well amped (you need to do both IMHO). The result is so different to stock that it really is like a completely different headphone (at least to me).

Not many headphone amps that are up to the task - WA5 and 430HA can do it. I'm sure there are others that I haven't heard (like the Dark Star, Master 9 ... etc). Other than that, speaker amps do the job.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #17,617 of 21,879
  Visceral is exactly the word I would use to describe a HE6 that is well modded and well amped (you need to do both IMHO). The result is so different to stock that it really is like a completely different headphone (at least to me).

Not many headphone amps that are up to the task - WA5 and 430HA can do it. I'm sure there are others that I haven't heard (like the Dark Star, Master 9 ... etc). Other than that, speaker amps do the job.

That's why I mentioned mods but on the same amp, since the 430HA is the only amp I've heard the HE6 on so far.

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #17,618 of 21,879
Well i am finally in the HE-6 club got my pair today just doing my first listening now cant wipe the grin off my face .They sounds awesome with Audio GD master 10 driving them will let them burn in then start applying some of the mods listed in this thread .

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #17,619 of 21,879
  Well i am finally in the HE-6 club got my pair today just doing my first listening now cant wipe the grin off my face .They sounds awesome with Audio GD master 10 driving them will let them burn in then start applying some of the mods listed in this thread .

Congrats! I know you were waiting for awhile. Wasn't it the headphones for metal thread that convinced you to get it? Or did you just offhandedly mention it there?

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #17,620 of 21,879
Congrats! I know you were waiting for awhile. Wasn't it the headphones for metal thread that convinced you to get it? Or did you just offhandedly mention it there?

It was partly that thread and this one that made me have a hard look at the HE-6 in the end my ears made the choice for me when i demoed a whole lot of high end headphones in one day .

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #17,621 of 21,879

Congrats!

I think the headphones for metal thread sells more HE6 than anything else. Between Levap, Hansotek and I (amongst others) it gets a lot of praise there.

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #17,622 of 21,879
I think that one of the reasons that make the HE6 so popular, besides its good price and drivers, is the fact that it so easily can be modded. Different mods and different types of amps can be chosen to suite different sound preference. The core of the HE6 is a really good basic design with a neutral sound that can be tweaked to one’s liking or left as it is.

You can for example have a very light mod there you only open it up by removing the grill and pair it with a powerful and neutral dac/amp and get an open, punchy, neutral/borderline bright sound (think a bit like the sound of the HD800). You can also mod it by damping the heights a bit and pair it with a warmer and softer/forgiving sounded dac/amp and get a more natural/borderline rich sound, but with maybe a slightly loss in bite, transparency and articulation (think a bit like the sound of the LCD 3F). Then one has obviously also all the pairings and mods that will make it sound somewhere in between this two.

My own experience is quite limited in regard to different amps for the HE6, but I have my mind set on getting a really good one, just not sure which one yet. A used ARC, ML, Pass Labs or something like that probably.

Sep 21, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #17,624 of 21,879
Hello.
I would like to buy these headphones, but don’t want to spend money for the headphone amplifier, because I already have int. amp and it’s not the worst one.
After I’ve red 15-20 pages of this thread, I’ve found some people using the integrated amplifiers to drive HE-6 and they were happy with the result.
My setup:
http://www.luxman.com/product.php?pid=2
http://www.luxman.com/product.php?pid=27
Connection - XLR.
The question is: Is it possible to connect headphones directly to the amplifier without resistors and adapters (I mean safe connection for both)? Have anyone had experience with a similar amplifier without consequences for headphones and amp?
Thanks and sorry for my bad English.

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #17,625 of 21,879
  Hello.
I would like to buy these headphones, but don’t want to spend money for the headphone amplifier, because I already have int. amp and it’s not the worst one.
After I’ve red 15-20 pages of this thread, I’ve found some people using the integrated amplifiers to drive HE-6 and they were happy with the result.
My setup:
http://www.luxman.com/product.php?pid=2
http://www.luxman.com/product.php?pid=27
Connection - XLR.
The question is: Is it possible to connect headphones directly to the amplifier without resistors and adapters (I mean safe connection for both)? Have anyone had experience with a similar amplifier without consequences for headphones and amp?
Thanks and sorry for my bad English.

You amplifier provides 100W/ch. You should be ok without resistors. Many people here has them connected to more powerful amplifiers with no issues other than being careful with your volume control.
If I remember correctly HiFiMan recommends using the resistor starting at about 100W/ch or more but it is not a must as long as you are careful.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back