HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 20, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #17,581 of 21,868
Yeah, I got one...

ABYSS..

:wink_face:
Haven't tried but I thought the Abyss lacks the midrange of the HE6? I like the tonal balance of the HE6 modded but perhaps it's not clear enough. The HE1000s are clear enough but have thin mids and unnatural treble. They also lack the ultimate transparency and resolution that the other TOTL cans offer.

I'll stick with the SR009.. But they have weak bass.

Jesus..

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #17,582 of 21,868

Only if they could do the same mids... :)

Or FR coherence.

I agree on the mids - "sort of"  I love the HE-6.  I feel it's one of the best all around headphone money can buy.  If I was out for only the mids I would most likely have kept the LCDs.  But as we all know it's more to headphones than just one thing.

Just like I feel the HE-6 does more things better when compared to the LCD-3s I feel the Abyss does more things better than the HE-6.  The Abyss just checks more boxes..  Where it don's come it first it will more than likely come in at a close second.  IMO...

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #17,583 of 21,868
Alright... Ive put down a list of preamps I can get, which are all pretty cheap. I think ill go for the First Watt B1 unless anyone think there's a much better product for its price.

So here it is!:
First Watt B1
Clones Audio AP1
Promitheus Audio Transformer Volume Control  (looks like ****, wooden chassis etc, so im a bit sceptical)
GamuT C2R
GoldPoint SA1

What you guys think?

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #17,584 of 21,868

I agree on the mids - "sort of"  I love the HE-6.  I feel it's one of the best all around headphone money can buy.  If I was out for only the mids I would most likely have kept the LCDs.  But as we all know it's more to headphones than just one thing.

Just like I feel the HE-6 does more things better when compared to the LCD-3s I feel the Abyss does more things better than the HE-6.  The Abyss just checks more boxes..  Where it don's come it first it will more than likely come in at a close second.  IMO...

I agree with you on the LCD mids, but to me the HE-6s ones are just as good if not better, as I prefer the more neutral/less veiled response of the latter. The modded HE-6s do awfully well in the rest of FR as well. The tonality is really good. The Abyss do some things better than the HE-6s and some things worse.

When all is said and done, I still don't think they are clear upgrade to the HE-6s. More of a side-grade of energetic sounding headphones, yes. Then it's the asking price and strange fit the Abyss have, but I am not so bothered about either, except the former just in principle not being warranting enough.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #17,585 of 21,868
Side grade or up grade is all a matter of opinion.  The HE-6 is a steal at it's current price no doubt.  Just like the HE-6 is just as good or better in the mids compared to the LCD.  If I had to pick one it would be the LCD "midrange only"  

Also If I put down a list of boxes to check and total them up as an overall grade.  Which I've done.  On my list the Abyss wins.  Comparing planars to planars.  

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #17,586 of 21,868
Side grade or up grade is all a matter of opinion.  The HE-6 is a steal at it's current price no doubt.  Just like the HE-6 is just as good or better in the mids compared to the LCD.  If I had to pick one it would be the LCD "midrange only"  

Also If I put down a list of boxes to check and total them up as an overall grade.  Which I've done.  On my list the Abyss wins.  Comparing planars to planars.  
Since there are always trade offs, at the end of the day it depends on which boxes ticked are more important to you. That's why I like the HD800 more than most others do, etc.

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #17,588 of 21,868
Since there are always trade offs, at the end of the day it depends on which boxes ticked are more important to you. 

Definitely. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #17,589 of 21,868

Since there are always trade offs, at the end of the day it depends on which boxes ticked are more important to you. That's why I like the HD800 more than most others do, etc.

Don't be so certain that the HE-6 isn't able to do some things you thought it couldn't , if you can get the voicing
just right it is shockingly good. I recently did a "rethink" on some of the things I'd done to it & was planning to in
the near future . A few days I thought about what it was that l like about how my Magneplanar speakers sound
& how some of the basic "fittings" of the HE-6 differed . So I decided to see if making a more "Maggie" like version of the 6. I'm calling it my "Maggified" HE-6".

The first thing that came to mind was that while I preferred the sound of outside of the phones with no damping material or grille , the sound while open is a bit to raw. I decided to not Regrille the opening with some woven material I decided to cut from a partition of an office divider panel (it's pretty close in form to the Maggie grille material). It works exceptionally well. It seems to have retained that nice open volume of sound while slowing down the air movement enough to avoid that slight metallic tinge to it.

I'm pretty happy using the velour AKG Earpads (they are slightly oversized,but I like the sonic neutrality they lend). For what I listen to I really haven't had any real need to damp the ear side driver panel due to any lack
of clarity due to mechanically induced frequency confusion. I did find that the musical detail has a slight edge
that the thin material attached to the bottom of the Earpads, along with pieces of the smallest sized shelf liner
sitting on top of the material cleans up the edge to the sound with no effect to clarity. (I know exactly why I'm not
finding adding a "Fuzzor" type addition to be necessary, but it involves doing somethings to your playback chain
at the beginning of it ; I only needed some finishing nails that were needed as opposed to a Railroad spike solution that the Fuzzor would be)

I can't compare these cans to my modded HD800 as its really a PITA to match amplifier levels (the Senns are way to sensitive). In my system , the comparison is going to be way closer than most would think. Off the top of my head I'm going to say the HE-6 are more detailed at both ends of the Frequency spectrum

(Please excuse my not editing the sentence form , as I type these postings on a IPad Mini & my eyes are screaming at me at the moment)

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #17,590 of 21,868
Haven't tried but I thought the Abyss lacks the midrange of the HE6? I like the tonal balance of the HE6 modded but perhaps it's not clear enough. The HE1000s are clear enough but have thin mids and unnatural treble. They also lack the ultimate transparency and resolution that the other TOTL cans offer.

I'll stick with the SR009.. But they have weak bass.

Jesus..

Even if the tonality of the mids on the Abyss didn’t exactly wow me and my preference for a bit of richness, it was the treble tone I had the biggest problem with. To me it was a bit raw and dry and I prefer the treble to be a bit sweet just like in the HE6.   

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #17,592 of 21,868
Don't be so certain that the HE-6 isn't able to do some things you thought it couldn't

Ha..  I think the majority oa us here know exactly what these headphones are capable of..

Nah, most only think they do !

(If you think you can't get the best of them without using a speaker amp.& other various "heavy handed" mods more than likely some available resolution is probably being "left on the table".)

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #17,594 of 21,868
  Yes - I really like the look of those "Shark Fins"  (heat sinks).  

The engineer in me is bothered by the horizontal fins...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back