HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 19, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #17,566 of 21,868
  Why would it not work?
Signal is signal? 

Let's say you have a hydroelectric dam. You know precisely the difference in water depth on each side, and this generates your electricity. This is your balanced (XLR) line.  It doesn't matter what the absolute depths are on each side (you don't actually know, you can't see underwater), only the difference.

Now let's take remove one side (the lower side for this analogy to work). Now you're just going to vent water into... an empty basin? You don't know, because you only knew when there was water. If you're lucky, that gound is exactly where the water line was before (so it was a puddle). But it could be lower... much lower. This is pretty much what is happening when you use an XLR to RCA converter. You are referencing one side of the dam not to the other, but to an unknown location of ground. Maybe you'll get lucky.

So in summary, play it safe and use a transformer to convert to rca if you need to.

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #17,567 of 21,868
I sent Schiit an email and they answered very quick! Even on a saturday! 
The answer is no it wont work.

I'm listening to the F6 with the DAC directly plugged inn... Yes I know this far from optimal.
Sounds interesting, little sharp/harsh, trebly, little tiring, like how some have described how my DAC sounds, in other words. :p 
It can play 98dB measured with an app on my iphone. Decibel 10th. 
So if I where to get a active preamp, I could loose my hearing even quicker? 

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #17,570 of 21,868
No I dont think thats appropriate.
I get my BTG cable next week, and will have a preamp of some sort, hopefully. 

Im sorry but before you spend another cent on anything you should consider upgrading
the DAC you're using . I'm kind of surprised that having an Audeze hp you haven't done
so ! i believe I had this DAC some time ago. About the best thing I can say about it was "it worked". For some reason when you started talking about getting your First Watt amp , I'd just assumed
that you had forgotten to mentioned that you were using something other than the Arcam.

Regardless of how high integrity amplification you decide to use, it will be working
at disadvantage due to the signal it will be amplifying! It's an uphill battle why you're
using an Amp to create or fix tonal characteristics (& I happen to think you should start working on tonal characteristics before the signal ever reaches the DAC)

There's a saying that goes "You can't make a silk purse from a Sow's ear". I suppose
you might finally arrive at having good sound starting at the Amp, but when you skip
over correcting the true weak links in your signal path it appears to be a hit or miss
proposition ar best (& you probably end up spending more $$$$ than you could have
because you skipped over the difficiencies that were holding you back from better sound)

Of course if you have very deep pockets , you can ignore my advice. ,

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #17,571 of 21,868
I definitely understand your view. In fact I was at one point trying to find a new DAC. I had a Concero HD and Master GD Master 7.Neither managed to make me sold, so after that I have been waiting for Schiits new DACs, which finally should start getting to the Norwegian dealer. So yes I'm getting a new DAC, most likly a gungnir multibit.  I'm not a beliver in spending much on a DAC, as of yet. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #17,572 of 21,868
Disagree with the suggestion to upgrade the DAC, with the 6 you'll realise a lot more improvement in sound quality by investing in a good amp first. I'd suggest getting the amp and getting the DAC after that.

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #17,576 of 21,868
Modded my HE6s further by (1) stuck a cut-out foam underneath each of the Vegan pads to cover the pleather parts of the pads and (2) using tape to stick the Vegan pads onto the cups. Fixes all of the treble issues of the non-Fuzzored HE6. Man, the mids are oh-so sweet. 

Right now my HE6s have the above mods with no grills. Also using Toxic Cables Silver Widow XLR. 

Am still missing the openness and clarity of the HE1000s and HD800s though. Perhaps the bluetack mod and hardwiring will fix that up? Any thoughts?

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #17,577 of 21,868
  Modded my HE6s further by (1) stuck a cut-out foam underneath each of the Vegan pads to cover the pleather parts of the pads and (2) using tape to stick the Vegan pads onto the cups. Fixes all of the treble issues of the non-Fuzzored HE6. Man, the mids are oh-so sweet. 

Right now my HE6s have the above mods with no grills. Also using Toxic Cables Silver Widow XLR. 

Am still missing the openness and clarity of the HE1000s and HD800s though. Perhaps the bluetack mod and hardwiring will fix that up? Any thoughts?

You're welcome. It's all about reducing reflections. Covering the pleather under the pads could have well been my idea. ohhG was likely the first to do it. Please correct me if mistaken.

Blutack helps clarity yeah. And hard wiring.

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #17,578 of 21,868
You're welcome. It's all about reducing reflections. Covering the pleather under the pads could have well been my idea. ohhG was likely the first to do it. Please correct me if mistaken.

Blutack helps clarity yeah. And hard wiring.
I attribute the mods to both of you, thanks! :p

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #17,579 of 21,868
  Any thoughts?

Yeah, I got one...

ABYSS..

wink_face.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #17,580 of 21,868

Users who are viewing this thread

Back