HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 22, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #17,161 of 21,868
The treble is pretty damn perfect on this headphone. I would never change it.
I think we agree that the treble quality is gorgeous. What I feel (and many others too plus what measurements tell us) is that it has too much of it in unmodded state. Resolution, transparency and depth gets even better with the fuzzor mod and it tones down the excess treble too. How we like the overall tonal balance is of course a matter of preference.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #17,162 of 21,868
I have he6 and no fuzzie mod , the treble is too much at times with the odyssey stratos extreme , but with the F1J it is perfect with no siblance at all anytime.

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #17,163 of 21,868
I think we agree that the treble quality is gorgeous. What I feel (and many others too plus what measurements tell us) is that it has too much of it in unmodded state. Resolution, transparency and depth gets even better with the fuzzor mod and it tones down the excess treble too. How we like the overall tonal balance is of course a matter of preference.

You'll have to listen with no fuzzor because you get more resolution and clarity without it. But you also get reflections which is solved by felting the pad instead.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #17,164 of 21,868
You'll have to listen with no fuzzor because you get more resolution and clarity without it. But you also get reflections which is solved by felting the pad instead.
I did a similar mod earlier and I clearly prefer the fuzzor mod. To my ears the fuzzor mod is a super mod because it both enhances resolution AND reduces treble at the same time. I don't think any other HE-6 mod addresses diffraction.

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #17,165 of 21,868
I got my pair of HE-6s late in the game, when I already had the Theta V A which is an R2R DAC thing. You can already see where I am going with this. The treble never presented any problems. I anticipate as the DAC game changes at accessible budgets with the Yggdrasil/Multibit Gungnir we will see much less of this treble problem. Just avoid horrible etched amps and I anticipate we won't be talking for much longer about this.

The HE-6s are very resolving headphones. On this note the HE-6s (and HD800s) just keep scaling and scaling, and that includes resolving power. With this DAC animal I am auditioning, the HE-6s are reaching previously unknown heights in how well they can perform. The treble is awesome too.

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #17,166 of 21,868
I got my pair of HE-6s late in the game, when I already had the Theta V A which is an R2R DAC thing. You can already see where I am going with this. The treble never presented any problems. I anticipate as the DAC game changes at accessible budgets with the Yggdrasil/Multibit Gungnir we will see much less of this treble problem. Just avoid horrible etched amps and I anticipate we won't be talking for much longer about this.

The HE-6s are very resolving headphones. On this note the HE-6s (and HD800s) just keep scaling and scaling, and that includes resolving power. With this DAC animal I am auditioning, the HE-6s are reaching previously unknown heights in how well they can perform. The treble is awesome too.

As I recall, are you also listening with the fuzzor mod partially applied?

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #17,167 of 21,868
my he-6, now with 2.5mm phono plugs instead of the standard screw on style, for a more quickly removable cable, also reterminated to 2.5mm  The new jack is angled forward, instead of hanging straight down.

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #17,168 of 21,868
Brilliant. I have redone my fuzzor and my HE6 is sounding better than ever. Love this headphone.

Maybe one day Tyll will review a HE6 with appropriate amplification?
wink_face.gif

Perhaps even a modded HE6 with appropriate amplification? (dream on).

I wonder if a HE1000 (or any other TOTL headphone) would beat it by enough to justify the hefty price tag?

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #17,169 of 21,868
  I wonder if a HE1000 (or any other TOTL headphone) would beat it by enough to justify the hefty price tag?

Coincidentally just yesterday I did a side by side with both on a maxed out WA5 with Tak 300B's at a friends place. IMO The HE1000 is better by slight margin. But not enough to tempt me into buying one, I felt the price diff was not worth it. IMO HE 6 has more impact, HE1000 is more refined.

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #17,170 of 21,868
  Coincidentally just yesterday I did a side by side with both on a maxed out WA5 with Tak 300B's at a friends place. IMO The HE1000 is better by slight margin. But not enough to tempt me into buying one, I felt the price diff was not worth it. IMO HE 6 has more impact, HE1000 is more refined.

Oddly enough, I have just spent this evening having a great time with a HeadFi buddy doing some A/B playing with my Vega + WA5 (base model with Taks). It destroyed the LCD-X/LCD-3C, and beat the modded HD800 (but that was much closer).

I would need to know that the improvement was hefty before parting with 3K USD
basshead.gif

A slight improvement doesn't get me reaching for my wallet.

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #17,171 of 21,868
  Brilliant. I have redone my fuzzor and my HE6 is sounding better than ever. Love this headphone.

Maybe one day Tyll will review a HE6 with appropriate amplification?
wink_face.gif

Perhaps even a modded HE6 with appropriate amplification? (dream on).

HE1k has it's strengths but nothing beats the HE-6 in terms of energy. If you want a headphone with a lot of engagement then the HE1k is not for you. HE-6 grabs your attention and puts you right there in the music. HE1k makes it sound like you're out in the lobby.

Mainly the reason why I grabbed the spare pair. Not sure if Fang will ever make a headphone like this again. My "new" pair does not sound quite as good as my original pair. Maybe the old pairs (4 screws) are a bit brighter. Haven't gotten around to doing the blutack mod yet though.

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #17,173 of 21,868
Kinda thinking about getting a second pair of there are some special deals for the end of line.

This is on my mind too.

Also, really glad yours will be coming to the meet - I've actually kept mine stock and I'm really keen for an A/B comparison.

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #17,174 of 21,868
This is on my mind too.

Also, really glad yours will be coming to the meet - I've actually kept mine stock and I'm really keen for an A/B comparison.

It's sounding great. Just got my fuzzor sorted, and my WA5 is now running the C3Gs drivers correctly. Had a problem with the hot output from the Vega DAC - now fixed.

WA5 running TA300B / C3G / TA274B and driving a modded HE6 is not bad at all
wink_face.gif

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #17,175 of 21,868

It's sounding great. Just got my fuzzor sorted, and my WA5 is now running the C3Gs drivers correctly. Had a problem with the hot output from the Vega DAC - now fixed.

WA5 running TA300B / C3G / TA274B and driving a modded HE6 is not bad at all
wink_face.gif

Yep, I can't wait to hear it. The WA5 has piqued my interest after the audition at Addicted to Audio in February, will be good to hear it again, particularly tricked out with some nice tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back