HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 3, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #16,711 of 21,879

@preproman sold his HE-6, probably he may never need it again.... seems like end of an era

I got it from him to have a second pair and avoid conflicts with my better half.

Damn, those sure do look good.  How to they sound compared to the ones you already have?

I reserve the right to buy them back 
wink_face.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #16,712 of 21,879

@preproman sold his HE-6, probably he may never need it again.... seems like end of an era

I got it from him to have a second pair and avoid conflicts with my better half.

Damn, those sure do look good.  How to they sound compared to the ones you already have?

I reserve the right to buy them back 
wink_face.gif

You reserve right for sure, and it will not be molded further 
beerchug.gif
. Both sound awesome (they are same HP 
atsmile.gif
)....more than wires, the pads makes a differences, imaging, layering and depth is much much better with vegan pads but vocals sounds little muffed compared to Focus pads.

Planning to apply back the the fuzzor mod on yours and directly stick vegan pads and compare again. They are reversible so it should not be a problem.

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #16,715 of 21,879
  Does anyone know if this case fits the HE-6? Looking for a cheap, but well protecting/padded case to put mine in for when I drop it in my car, backpack etc. 

Don't know, but this one will:
https://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=207

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #16,716 of 21,879

Don't know, but this one will:
https://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=207

You guys have such a nice headphone, invest little more ? get a nice sturdy bullet-proof(jk) pelican case :)

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #16,719 of 21,879
This might interest a few here.

I have tried running my HE6 on a number of different amps both tube and solid state but had always felt they had more to give. Now finally they are starting to deliver some of what I had hoped for.

About a month back for a little project I decided to order the Nelson Pass ACA amp pcb boards from diyaudio.  

This is a little 6W pair of single ended class A mono block power amps designed to be simple and inexpensive to build. I wanted to try it with my Fostex FX120 speakers but was also curious how it would work with the HE-6.

Yesterday I had it up and running and it worked really well with my speaker set up so today I built a little adapter and have been running the HE-6 off of the speaker taps with good results. I'm going to try some tweaking and swapping out the electrolytic signal capacitors for some film ones next, but this inexpensive little amp I am sure with a little further tweaking is going to make a really sweet combo for my HE6. Its also sounding very good with the HD800 but have a little low level volume noise to chase down with it on them. I am pretty certain its from my unshielded adapter cabling picking up interference (I just used what I had in the parts box).

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_amp_camp_1.pdf

I put the two mono block amp sections in one diy enclosure and am using my Bottlehead Mainline as a preamp and volume control,

Its up and running but still requires a little sorting and tweaking I expect I will swap out the unshielded signal wires for shielded  and try a few different film cap options but am very pleased and encouraged with the results I am hearing so far.

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #16,720 of 21,879
Looks great

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #16,725 of 21,879
Beautiful work, really putting the mono in monoblock!

Reminds me, I need to get saving for an X30.8...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back