= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 5, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #21,136 of 21,171
…IMO these are great open cans with fantastic price/value ratio. I really enjoyed them with "Focuspad A" earpads.
And I really love them with ZMF Universe Suede pads — a little less V-shaped than stock pads, but still very open/airy/ethereal. Very slightly softened highs — barely noticeable on most tracks. You gotta buy spare mounting rings, but they only cost $10 (IIRC — maybe it was $15) direct from Hifiman.

I absolutely agree that they are a great value. They still get a fair amount of head time after 7 years even though I own/have owned many sets which are much closer to the ’summit’.

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #21,137 of 21,171
Thanks everyone. I picked them up. I've never heard a headphone change in sound so much when underpowered. Through a dragonfly red connected to my computer, everything sounds..... Small? Soundstage is within my head. Treble is spicy and there's a lack of bass.

Connect the dragonfly to my musical paradise mp301 and everything expands. Such a weird experience. It's night and day. Treble is tamed and bass is now present.

Can't wait to go to the office and try it through my atom DAC and asgard 3.

Everything sounds perfect once I add a bass shelf 3db from 150hz and down.

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #21,138 of 21,171
Congratz! :) Yes, I did the same.

I owned HE560 V1.5 and V2, but finally I have sold them. Now I have an old HE400 with Focus A pads and hybrid headband. These have a perfect sound character for me, bass is present, smooth treble and mids, no EQ needed at all. I replaced the stock cable with a much lighter DIY cable and never ever thought about selling them. HiFiMan rulez! :)

HE400_010.jpg

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #21,140 of 21,171
Thanks everyone. I picked them up. I've never heard a headphone change in sound so much when underpowered. Through a dragonfly red connected to my computer, everything sounds..... Small? Soundstage is within my head. Treble is spicy and there's a lack of bass.

Connect the dragonfly to my musical paradise mp301 and everything expands. Such a weird experience. It's night and day. Treble is tamed and bass is now present.

Can't wait to go to the office and try it through my atom DAC and asgard 3.

Yep — they definitely need some juice. Currently my Dad is using them for TV listening — I’ve got him set up like this:

TV (analog out) ==> Romi Audio BX 2+ ==> 560s

It’s loud enough (Dad’s pretty deaf and his TV-link to his hearing aids failed) but there’s not huge headroom the way there would be from that amp driving my HEKse.

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #21,141 of 21,171
Just as an update. Ears are starting to adjust and after a few hours of listening 4000hz is too much on certain tracks and is headache inducing.

Especially with electronic snares and hihats.

Def needs a bass shelf for electronic music.

Aug 12, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #21,142 of 21,171
Just as an update. Ears are starting to adjust and after a few hours of listening 4000hz is too much on certain tracks and is headache inducing.

Especially with electronic snares and hihats.

Def needs a bass shelf for electronic music.
I think bass is pretty present depending on the track, what are you amping them through ?

Aug 12, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #21,143 of 21,171
Just got them in....

IMG_20230306_152205.jpgIMG_20230306_152633.jpg

IMG_20230306_152656.jpgIMG_20230306_152821.jpg

IMG_20230306_152801.jpg

Can't go back....More open and airy, less stuffy and more transparent. The upper registers just feel more free flowing and less peaky, bass comes across fuller but probably a tad less controlled as before. Soundstage feels less closed-back and more towards a full open-back sound. It's like going from a analytical closed-back headphone to a warm and liquid sounding open-back, with detail and brightness that seems so sweet and very, very inviting. Good Gawdddddd...What a mod!

I can see why Hifiman went for the tuning they did with the original grills but man, opening these cans up is just something else. Best thing, easily, easily able to revert back to original grills!

Ordered these from Artic Cables from the USA, arrived in Australia in no time, very fast shipping! I opted for the black as I wanted to retain the OG look! These grills are expertly made and fitting was no hassle at all!

Great advice bois! :heart_eyes:
what did you put on the magnets ;/

Aug 13, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #21,147 of 21,171
Just blacked out on the newer revisions. At first glance I thought it may be a fuzor mod.

Oct 28, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #21,149 of 21,171
Received my HE560 v4 recently and must say they are a nice lively sounding headphones with a nice punchy low end.
I paired them with the Atom+ Hevi Amp & Dac, which drive these headphones just fine. I run them at Hi Gain and have set the dial at about 1 o'clock.
I actually also changed the pads to the Dekoni Perforated leather pads, and found they are more comfortable and hold the original sound signature, I prefer leather pads..
I also EQ'ed the 4000 frequency -3db because i am a little sensitive to the vocal fatigue in that frequency.
They sound just the way I want headphones to sound, I was able to but the Headphones used for $180, and Happy I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back