= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 17, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #21,121 of 21,175
The grill mod really does open up the soundstage. The center image gets sharper and I also think it brings the mids forward just a hair amongst a few other things. I have heard some people claim an increase in low end extension, but I don't hear that. I think it makes note edges in the bass a touch more defined which has the effect of making a very clear low end even clearer so maybe that's what they're talking about.

Either way, once you get them and have had some listening time, I'd be interested to read what you're hearing in the way of differences. I do the grill mod on all my round cup Hifimen and the HE560s are near the top as far as the model that benefits most right behind the HE6, IMO/IME.
They should rename that mod as The mod even a klutz can’t mess up.

Just received the grills — gave a brief listen. My initial impression is that I will really like the grill mod w/ my ZMF Universe perf suede pads. I’ll do some actual comparison this weekend.

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #21,122 of 21,175

Just received the grills — gave a brief listen. My initial impression is that I will really like the grill mod w/ my ZMF Universe perf suede pads. I’ll do some actual comparison this weekend.
Alright, I just order a black pair, let's see how we go!

Still loving the 560v4's, still in my rotation as they just sing in every category!

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #21,123 of 21,175

😂 Lol it's seriously the easiest mod there is and it really makes a pretty sizeable difference on all the round cup Hifiman headphones I have tried it on. Cool to hear that you're liking it at first listen anyways. 🤘😎

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #21,124 of 21,175
Just got them in....

IMG_20230306_152205.jpgIMG_20230306_152633.jpg

IMG_20230306_152656.jpgIMG_20230306_152821.jpg

IMG_20230306_152801.jpg

Can't go back....More open and airy, less stuffy and more transparent. The upper registers just feel more free flowing and less peaky, bass comes across fuller but probably a tad less controlled as before. Soundstage feels less closed-back and more towards a full open-back sound. It's like going from a analytical closed-back headphone to a warm and liquid sounding open-back, with detail and brightness that seems so sweet and very, very inviting. Good Gawdddddd...What a mod!

I can see why Hifiman went for the tuning they did with the original grills but man, opening these cans up is just something else. Best thing, easily, easily able to revert back to original grills!

Ordered these from Artic Cables from the USA, arrived in Australia in no time, very fast shipping! I opted for the black as I wanted to retain the OG look! These grills are expertly made and fitting was no hassle at all!

Great advice bois! :heart_eyes:

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #21,125 of 21,175
I haven’t attempted this mod principally because I promise you, this klutz might prove you wrong. 😝🥲

Also, I think it looks meh and I’m happy with the stock sound. 😅

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #21,126 of 21,175
Just got them in....

IMG_20230306_152801.jpg

Can't go back....More open and airy, less stuffy and more transparent. The upper registers just feel more free flowing and less peaky, bass comes across fuller but probably a tad less controlled as before. Soundstage feels less closed-back and more towards a full open-back sound. It's like going from a analytical closed-back headphone to a warm and liquid sounding open-back, with detail and brightness that seems so sweet and very, very inviting. Good Gawdddddd...What a mod!

I can see why Hifiman went for the tuning they did with the original grills but man, opening these cans up is just something else. Best thing, easily, easily able to revert back to original grills!

Ordered these from Artic Cables from the USA, arrived in Australia in no time, very fast shipping! I opted for the black as I wanted to retain the OG look! These grills are expertly made and fitting was no hassle at all!

It really does take them to the next level. With how obstructive the OG grills are the stock HE560s take on a bit of closed in and overdampened feel. Still very good, but they become a very different and much improved headphone after the grill mod.

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #21,127 of 21,175
Just got them in....

IMG_20230306_152801.jpg

BTW, I had come across a post on Reddit where the OP was saying that he purchased a pair of grills from Arctic Cables for his HE6SEs and that they would ring when certain songs with heavy mid bass parts would come on at moderate volume. Have you noticed any of that since you swapped out the grills?

Mar 26, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #21,128 of 21,175
BTW, I had come across a post on Reddit where the OP was saying that he purchased a pair of grills from Arctic Cables for his HE6SEs and that they would ring when certain songs with heavy mid bass parts would come on at moderate volume. Have you noticed any of that since you swapped out the grills?
I haven't heard any extra resonance so far, they sit flush in the cup and don't move much at all!

I'm listening on moderate to loud volume but nothing crazy and I'm not torturing the headphones either.

Mar 26, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #21,129 of 21,175
I haven't heard any extra resonance so far, they sit flush in the cup and don't move much at all!

I'm listening on moderate to loud volume but nothing crazy and I'm not torturing the headphones either.

Cool! Thanks for the quick reply. I figured that the guy must not have them secured right or something because quite a few people use the Arctic Cables grills and I have never heard anyone else mention it. It's nice to get some confirmation though. 👍😎

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #21,130 of 21,175
Got some new pads for the 560, the stock ones are garbage. New ones are of nicer quality and are a little bit bigger fit.

IMG_20230327_111548.jpgIMG_20230327_111611.jpgIMG_20230327_113450.jpgIMG_20230327_113503.jpg

For Hifiman, please stop using this crappy ring mount system. It is infuriating and difficult to perform what should be a very simple pad swap!

Mar 27, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #21,131 of 21,175
Got some new pads for the 560, the stock ones are garbage. New ones are of nicer quality and are a little bit bigger fit.

IMG_20230327_111548.jpgIMG_20230327_111611.jpgIMG_20230327_113450.jpgIMG_20230327_113503.jpg

For Hifiman, please stop using this crappy ring mount system. It is infuriating and difficult to perform what should be a very simple pad swap!

Lol 😂 TBH, I actually think it's alright. Once you get the hang of it it actually becomes pretty darn easy. I might very well be in the minority on this one though so don't pay me to much mind. 😉

Mar 27, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #21,132 of 21,175
Lol 😂 TBH, I actually think it's alright. Once you get the hang of it it actually becomes pretty darn easy. I might very well be in the minority on this one though so don't pay me to much mind. 😉
Nah, You could be right mate. Once you get them on, they're on! :raised_hands:

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #21,134 of 21,175
About to pull the trigger on a v2. Can anyone comment on if these are good for electronic music? Do the highs in scares get simblance? Any comparisons to the fan Clark aeon x?
Do not worry about the highs. There is great extension with plenty of detail in them but they are never sibilant.
On the other hand for electronic music the bass might be a little light. A powerful amp is recommended and maybe EQ too if the low end is still not enough for your taste.
IMO these are great open cans with fantastic price/value ratio. I really enjoyed them with "Focuspad A" earpads.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #21,135 of 21,175
Do not worry about the highs. There is great extension with plenty of detail in them but they are never sibilant.
On the other hand for electronic music the bass might be a little light. A powerful amp is recommended and maybe EQ too if the low end is still not enough for your taste.
IMO these are great open cans with fantastic price/value ratio. I really enjoyed them with "Focuspad A" earpads.
I still have my v2 and agree with everything said here. They’re a great sounding headphone at the price with no sibilance or nasty peaks anywhere in the frequency range.

I highly recommend the Artisan Silver Cables upgrade cable if / when you can afford it (I know it’s expensive compared with the headphones themselves). That cable made the biggest improvement of any cable I’ve ever owned or tried. It takes these headphones to a whole new level and is the reason I haven’t upgraded yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back