= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 17, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #21,106 of 21,175
I received my pair of 560s. Really like them a lot. However....the pair I got came with SMC rather than the 2.5mm connectors advertised. Not going to complain as they were an excellent deal....but I was hoping to reuse the cables for my 4xxs. The 6.25mm output is fine for use at home.....but I need something for use with my M11 Pro. Bought a balanced 2.5mm cable on ebay, but it's defective, as the sound comes out hollow and a bit distorted, so I returned it.

Hifiman doesn't have the cables that I am looking for. Where would you guys buy from? And should I get a 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced cable? Thanks.

Dec 28, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #21,108 of 21,175
unnamed (1).jpg
All I want for Christmas is more Hifiman.....He560v4 (Next to my Edition X). :raised_hands:

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #21,110 of 21,175
I'm loving what these do with music....Fear Inoculum sounds phenomenal with the 560v4. Definitely need more power, got them hooked up to a Gen 1 Mjolnir and Theta DS Pro Prime II....just slapping!

Always loved the finish on my Edition X and now I have it on the 560v4....pigeon pair!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 0
Jan 1, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #21,111 of 21,175
Jan 12, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #21,113 of 21,175
I like Audiophile Ninja. Have a cable on a separate set of headphones.

However the SMC connectors are trash. I have the original HE-560 and have connector issues that happens at times. I enjoy when they work, but not sure what to do when the connectors finally die.

Jan 12, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #21,114 of 21,175
I like Audiophile Ninja. Have a cable on a separate set of headphones.

However the SMC connectors are trash. I have the original HE-560 and have connector issues that happens at times. I enjoy when they work, but not sure what to do when the connectors finally die.

Yeah....I'm not a fan of the SMC at all. Such a bizarre choice for headphone connections.

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #21,115 of 21,175
Right now....My Edition X and 560v4 are my daily's...could/would be very happy just keeping these two headphones tbh.

560v4 are a hell of a headphone!

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #21,116 of 21,175
Right now....My Edition X and 560v4 are my daily's...could/would be very happy just keeping these two headphones tbh.

560v4 are a hell of a headphone!

Happy to hear it! After buying the HE560v3s and REALLY diggin' the sound, I ran into some posts of folks basically trashing them and saying the v1s are night and day better. I doubted that, but I decided I wanted to hear for myself so I purchased a pair of v1s in excellent condition (v1.1 with the wood veneer and 2.5mm connectors). I listened to the two versions back to back over a couple weeks and came to the conclusion that there are some VERY slight differences between the two and that neither stands out as better than the other sonically. I think the difference in fit likely accounts for some of the sonic differences.

Well, now I have picked up a pair of the V4s because I wanted to see if posts I read about "revoicing" between v3 and v4 had any merit and also because I have some plans for modding either the V3s or V4s after deciding which to keep. I won't get to try the V4s until I fly back to the states for my birthday in a couple weeks, but I'm happy to read that yours are treating you well.

If the V4s sound as good as the v3s do, then grabbing a pair of these off of Adorama during one of their sales has to be one of the best deals in headphones. I find the Sundaras to be overly bright and a bit metallic sounding so I gave them to my girl. The HE560s are what I was hoping the Sundaras would be. 🤘😎

Edit: It should be noted that I have done the hex grill mod on my HE560s and I would encourage anyone who picks up a pair, regardless of version, to do it as well. You can pick up a pair of precut grills off of ebay for $19, they take about a minute to install, and they really take the HE560s to the next level, IMO.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #21,117 of 21,175
The HE560s are what I was hoping the Sundaras would be.

So much breathless hype about the Sundara when it came out, yet I always thought the 560 sounded considerably better. Like the Ananda, the Sundara simply lacks that body to the sound that makes the 560 so gratifying to listen to. Too light of touch, too etheral, too delicate souning. Even after picking up the Arya, I couldn't bear to part with my 560. As you said, that is likely the best deal in headphones at the moment.

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #21,118 of 21,175
So much breathless hype about the Sundara when it came out, yet I always thought the 560 sounded considerably better. Like the Ananda, the Sundara simply lacks that body to the sound that makes the 560 so gratifying to listen to. Too light of touch, too etheral, too delicate souning. Even after picking up the Arya, I couldn't bear to part with my 560. As you said, that is likely the best deal in headphones at the moment.

I couldn't agree more! I have been putting together a collection of the round cup Hifiman planars and the HE560s are near the top as far as my preferences go. I'm just kinda sad that it took me so long to get around to picking a pair of the HE560s up. Now that I have them, I can honestly say they won't be going anywhere for the forseeable future.

BTW, you description of the Sundaras (too light, too ethereal) is exactly right. I have never understood why they are as popular as they are. When I have asked other people that, they often say something about there being no good alternatives, and when I mention the HE560s and the fact that they can often be bought for the same price or less many haven't even heard of them. That's a shame!

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #21,119 of 21,175
... Edit: It should be noted that I have done the hex grill mod on my HE560s and I would encourage anyone who picks up a pair, regardless of version, to do it as well. You can pick up a pair of precut grills off of ebay for $19, they take about a minute to install, and they really take the HE560s to the next level, IMO.
Agree that these are a great value, especially @ $249! I just ordered some grills, finally, after only 6 years of ownership -- looking forward to hearing the effect.

In a similar vein, let me mention (once again) how much I enjoy my 560v2 with ZMF Universe perforated suede pads. I feel like the positives they add (fuller/richer mids) outweigh the small negative (slightly reduced headstage). Highly recommended if you find the 560 sound a bit too thin/ethereal. I hear 560 tonality as V-shaped, and these pads reduce the depth of the V a bit.

JMHO, my ears/your ears of course :)

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #21,120 of 21,175
Agree that these are a great value, especially @ $249! I just ordered some grills, finally, after only 6 years of ownership -- looking forward to hearing the effect.

In a similar vein, let me mention (once again) how much I enjoy my 560v2 with ZMF Universe perforated suede pads. I feel like the positives they add (fuller/richer mids) outweigh the small negative (slightly reduced headstage). Highly recommended if you find the 560 sound a bit too thin/ethereal. I hear 560 tonality as V-shaped, and these pads reduce the depth of the V a bit.

JMHO, my ears/your ears of course :)

The grill mod really does open up the soundstage. The center image gets sharper and I also think it brings the mids forward just a hair amongst a few other things. I have heard some people claim an increase in low end extension, but I don't hear that. I think it makes note edges in the bass a touch more defined which has the effect of making a very clear low end even clearer so maybe that's what they're talking about.

Either way, once you get them and have had some listening time, I'd be interested to read what you're hearing in the way of differences. I do the grill mod on all my round cup Hifimen and the HE560s are near the top as far as the model that benefits most right behind the HE6, IMO/IME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back