= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 23, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #21,077 of 21,171
I tried a bunch of the brainwavs pads on my 560. I think since then they have some new jumbo pads that may or may not fit. I had the nornal round ones. You will need the hifi-man plastic lock rings to attach them. You could buy them separately from hifi-man's site for $10 or so, last time I looked.

I settled on the angled hybrid pads, as they were the most similar to stock, only much thicker. I found them to be the most consistent across genres. The flat hybrid pads were similar, with a more relaxed fit feel to the presentation, if that makes sense, but also less vocal forward. Some may prefer that.

I haven't messed with my 560 in a long time. I was never satisfied with them and switched to Audeze. Take my info and opinions with a grain of salt :)

Mar 23, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #21,078 of 21,171
Hello.. If you wanted to look for cheap pads, which ones do you recommend? What are the exact measurements? Are the brainwavz ones suitable? Thank you
Not cheap, but I highly recommend the ZMF suede Universe pads. Got them for my Auteur and didn't like them. Tried them on my 560s and love them -- only pads I use with 560s now.

Here's a post I made soon after trying them.

Jun 25, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #21,079 of 21,171
Jun 26, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #21,080 of 21,171
I've been using them recently (with an original Liquid Carbon amp), very nice sounding (I have the HEK v2, connect it with the main stereo, the LC to my computer with a Geek Out Special Edition DAC, external linear power, decrapifiers; also have a Microzotl I use with some other headphones). sounds Great!. Could use a new set of the cables for the 560, though, it's the original model (that sold for about $1k initially), has those twist in connectors (a balanced to single ended adaptor would work as well, I have balanced cables on it right now). Any recommendations?

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #21,081 of 21,171
Oh, you have HE-560 v1 with the SMC screw-on connectors. Mine are v2 with the 2.5mm jacks.

You have a few options.

I got three or four results for such a cable when I searched ‘he-500 cable’ on Amazon.

Also, many hits on AliExpress.

You could have someone (like Ted @ Headphonelounge.com) re-terminate a cable for you or make you a custom cable.

Or you could get short xxx-to-SMC adapters made. Ted did this for me (mini-XLR to xxx). I now have adapters which let me connect 4-pin mini-XLR cables to all my cans — HEKse, Utopia, Ether 2, as well as Hedd & ZMF. They are 3 or 4 inches long w/ a little cable between the plugs & jacks. Could have been shorter and one solid piece, but I prefer them flexible.

Also, there are tons of balanced-to-single-ended adapters. I use them to plug my XLR cables into TT2 1/4 inch front panel jacks.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #21,082 of 21,171
I have an adapter for my HIK v2, but as it is in my living room for use with the main stereo, and the 560 is upstairs next to the computer system, a second would be easier than moving the adapter up and down (talk about lazy, 1st world problems...)

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #21,083 of 21,171
… (talk about lazy, 1st world problems...)
You’re talking to a guy who spent serious bucks on a balanced pre-amp so I didn’t have to get up to change volume or sources, so … :)

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #21,084 of 21,171
Was it also the left driver on yours? I swear every time I read about a hifiman driver failure it always seems to be the left one.
Just got a new pair with the LEFT driver not producing any sound :)

assuming you don’t get a bad build
lol, that seems to be a real issue with these. It's "good" if they are DOA, but how do you know you have a bad build if they seem to be working?

Jul 1, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #21,085 of 21,171
… but how do you know you have a bad build if they seem to be working?
No idea. Never any trouble with mine, but if you wander back through this thread you’ll see it comes up a lot. Not so much lately. Could be the v4s are more reliable.

Jul 8, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #21,086 of 21,171
Hi guys,
I bought HE-560 v2 with the 2.5mm jacks with wood circles. The left driver works unstable. The sound disappears for no reason for a while, and also appears for a while. Regardless of the source, amplification, position, etc. Everything is ok with wires under the grill. What is the best way to do in this situation?

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #21,087 of 21,171
Hi guys,
I bought HE-560 v2 with the 2.5mm jacks with wood circles. The left driver works unstable. The sound disappears for no reason for a while, and also appears for a while. Regardless of the source, amplification, position, etc. Everything is ok with wires under the grill. What is the best way to do in this situation?
Can you try a different cable, just to eliminate that as the source of the issue?

Jul 8, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #21,088 of 21,171
Can you try a different cable, just to eliminate that as the source of the issue?
I tried another cable, no result. Pulling and putting the cable also does not work. The problem is not in the cable, not in the connector, and not in the wires under the grills. I suppose something happens in the driver itself.

The last time the driver simply stopped working after I changed pads with rings. (Edited: Although perhaps this was not a consequence of the pads replacement. I just inserted jack into iFi micro iDSD. Perhaps this moment served as a failure point.)

Before that, I was comparing them with he-500 without any problems.
Right now the headphones is in the box. I can take them and the left driver will work with a 50/50 chance..

Edited-2:
So, I just took them, turned on iFi micro iDSD and inserted jack into device. The left driver is silent.
I pulled the wire, moved the cup, tapped a cup slightly, no reaction here.
Then I repeatedly turned on and turned off the bass switch on the front panel. The signal appeared. The left driver earned after one of the clicks. Both drivers are working now.. What is it?

Edited-3 :)
I did the same as on the video but without the grills.
When I just little blow on the diaphragm, it bends slightly and the sound can disappears. Then appears. Or I give increased power in turbo mode and when clicking the switch, the sound appears guaranteed.
I don't have a technical knowledge, but it looks like a gap in a thread. Am I right?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #21,089 of 21,171
Maybe try a different source as well. Like a phone or a PC.

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #21,090 of 21,171
Maybe try a different source as well. Like a phone or a PC.
I tried other sources. The sound simply disappears at some point and I have nothing for “raise” it in these sources.
My iFi micro iDSD is completely working. It has a turbo mode up to 4 watts per channel, which makes "awakens" for this driver. It looks like I wrote..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back