= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 6, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #20,881 of 21,171
I think its because the 400i is just hard to drive, so when you dont feed those enough power, these will sound thin and have sibilance.
Similar story with the 560.

I didn't find that. I can drive HE-6 6 screws and HE6se on my Ragnarok 1, and the 400i like the 4XX has too much mid bass and upper bass but missing low bass, and sort of a wild treble complete with ringing.

The 560 v1 is a much cleaner affair, too clean actually. its missing the rich depth of the 500 and 6. It's very scrubbed sounding with a big bright spot around 7k, but somehow missing delicate touches like overtones/decay. With an EQ or in line network you can remove the brightness, but it doesn't restore what's missing. It's the closest to the Ananda among the old round models. At the used price it's a pretty good deal.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #20,883 of 21,171
Sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone have aftermarket pads that they like? The velour pads that came with mine are falling apart... specifically the glue holding the outer material to the pad broke down and is separating off of the pad. If someone can link something that would fit that would be awesome.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #20,885 of 21,171
Sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone have aftermarket pads that they like? The velour pads that came with mine are falling apart... specifically the glue holding the outer material to the pad broke down and is separating off of the pad. If someone can link something that would fit that would be awesome.
I like the Voce pads quite a lot. They’re expensive, but super roomy and comfortable.

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #20,886 of 21,171
My first taste of Hifi cans was the HE-560 (first version), and since I bought them in 2018, they still are my preferred headphones despite my owning the HD6xx, HD56x, the Focal Elex, the Sendy Aiva and the many other cans I tried out!

My only challenge with them is that I have the version with the screw connectors that always go bad or loosen up causing issues and the number of cables I had to swap out is near infinity!

I am seriously considering buying another HE-560 from the newer versions that replaced the screw connectors with 2.5mm, but my worry is that I don't get that sound signature from heaven that I fell in love with on V1 with V2 or V3.

Any thoughts or encouragement to pull the trigger? Or is there a newer Hifiman or different planar that improves upon what the HE-560 accomplished without breaking the bank?

Sep 29, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #20,887 of 21,171
My first taste of Hifi cans was the HE-560 (first version), and since I bought them in 2018, they still are my preferred headphones despite my owning the HD6xx, HD56x, the Focal Elex, the Sendy Aiva and the many other cans I tried out!

My only challenge with them is that I have the version with the screw connectors that always go bad or loosen up causing issues and the number of cables I had to swap out is near infinity!

I am seriously considering buying another HE-560 from the newer versions that replaced the screw connectors with 2.5mm, but my worry is that I don't get that sound signature from heaven that I fell in love with on V1 with V2 or V3.

Any thoughts or encouragement to pull the trigger? Or is there a newer Hifiman or different planar that improves upon what the HE-560 accomplished without breaking the bank?

I believe the V2 is the exact headphone apart from the connectors. There shouldn't be any change in sound. V3 on the other hand has some noticeable change in sound, even though it has the same drivers. From what I've read. I upgraded to the Ananda. Some say it's a matter of preference. I can understand that however, I prefer the Ananda. It has the same general sound signature but with a better soundstage, detail retrieval, better tonality across the spectrum, ECT. Just an overall improvement imo. But the HE560 is no slouch, especially for the money.

Sep 29, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #20,888 of 21,171
I believe the V2 is the exact headphone apart from the connectors. There shouldn't be any change in sound. V3 on the other hand has some noticeable change in sound, even though it has the same drivers. From what I've read. I upgraded to the Ananda. Some say it's a matter of preference. I can understand that however, I prefer the Ananda. It has the same general sound signature but with a better soundstage, detail retrieval, better tonality across the spectrum, ECT. Just an overall improvement imo. But the HE560 is no slouch, especially for the money.
Thank you housekrl for your response! So now it is either the HE-560 V2 or the Ananda.
If you have the 560, try listening to "Praying" by Keisha, all the headphones I own didn't give her vocals justice compared to the 560, even the vocal forward cans like the HD6xx and HD56x although the 56x is a close second. The Keisha test clearly shows how superb the 560 is with vocals.

Sep 29, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #20,889 of 21,171
Thank you housekrl for your response! So now it is either the HE-560 V2 or the Ananda.
If you have the 560, try listening to "Praying" by Keisha, all the headphones I own didn't give her vocals justice compared to the 560, even the vocal forward cans like the HD6xx and HD56x although the 56x is a close second. The Keisha test clearly shows how superb the 560 is with vocals.

I sold my 560 so I can't comment on that song, sorry.

Sep 29, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #20,890 of 21,171
Well. I heard the 560 v3 and didn't think it was a good as the v1, but those sessions were about 4 years apart.

There was quite the kerfuffle here about 12-15 months over the 560, 5se, 6se, and later the 400i (2020 vs before).

I can't speak with full assurance on any of them. I only heard my version of the 5se and hated it. I only know my version of the 6se, which I hated at first due to lack of incoming VAC, but, later came to see as a great can.

So only on the 560 do I have an opinion - but like I said well spaced apart.

More research may tell you more, but I'd try to get any 560's to your home rig before deciding.

Oct 7, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #20,891 of 21,171
I just noticed tonight my right headphone has a high pitched ringing.
I'm using Schiit Audio Jotunheim headphone amp balanced.
I tried a converter for SE Jotunheim output and same thing.
Any suggestions?
Bad headphone?

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #20,892 of 21,171
I just noticed tonight my right headphone has a high pitched ringing.
I'm using Schiit Audio Jotunheim headphone amp balanced.
I tried a converter for SE Jotunheim output and same thing.
Any suggestions?
Bad headphone?
If you swap the cable (left or right) does the ringing stay on the right side. If so, yes, bad headphone — driver, internal wiring, jack?

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #20,893 of 21,171
If you swap the cable (left or right) does the ringing stay on the right side. If so, yes, bad headphone — driver, internal wiring, jack?
Thanks for the feedback.
I should have done more troubleshooting before posting.
I just got around to testing with some IEMs (SE out) and the same noise on right from them.
So it must be the Schiit Audio Jotunheim.

EDIT:
I did IT 101. Turned off (for 1min) then on. Fixed. Crazy.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #20,894 of 21,171
I found something interesting on Adorama, they put up an HE-560 V4? https://www.adorama.com/hmhe560v4.html
I don't know if it's old or just a placeholder since it's on backorder, but I didn't realize Hifiman even made a V4 special version for Adorama, I thought it was only V2 and V3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back