= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 27, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #20,161 of 21,179
Now that's some hogwash.
Or maybe even goobledygook!
Honestly though, I just read a post at SPAF from someone who complained about the headband being too short.
It was later revealed that they hadn't extended the arms of the headband and didn't want to do so in fear of breaking it.
I like to make generalisations based solely on statistical outliers, I find it makes life more exciting.

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #20,162 of 21,179
For what it's worth, I was exchanging e-mails with Hifiman and happened to ask about any differences between the differents "v's" of the HE-560.
They said all versions are "sonically identical".
Naturally that is what anyone would say no matter what was actually true.

As I understand the whole "too short headband" malarkey was at least to some extent perpetuated by people who didn't know you could actually extend the arms, though.
There is no way all versions are sonically identical since the later versions have no backplate on the outer side of the drivers (unlike the early versions). I once took mine apart to do the grill mod and discovered that. Some users claim that the later ones are more open sounding due to that change.

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #20,163 of 21,179
There is no way all versions are sonically identical since the later versions have no backplate on the outer side of the drivers (unlike the early versions). I once took mine apart to do the grill mod and discovered that. Some users claim that the later ones are more open sounding due to that change.

That is certainly intriguing.
I suppose the draw for some is the perception that these are supposed to be more neutral, open and airy planars compared to others.
-it was for me anyway but I haven't gotten them yet (much to my chagrin, bloody imbecilic delivery service.)

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #20,164 of 21,179
I suppose the draw for some is the perception that these are supposed to be more neutral, open and airy planars compared to others.
-it was for me anyway but I haven't gotten them yet (much to my chagrin, bloody imbecilic delivery service.)
Hope you like them. I think they are great cans. BTW, I advise you not to mod them. I have heavily modded my pair and I think the improvement is pretty marginal. Just not worth the effort and risk.

Sep 27, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #20,165 of 21,179
Hope you like them. I think they are great cans. BTW, I advise you not to mod them. I have heavily modded my pair and I think the improvement is pretty marginal. Just not worth the effort and risk.

Thanks for the advice.
I don't know if you're a mind reader, but I've actually been researching some of the modding possibilities of the HE-560.
I tend to favour the level headed takes, and they seem conclude that while the sound changes with modding, it's not necessarily better than unmodded.

The only mod I've seriously considered is swapping the grills for something a little fancier, but that's just for show. Don't know if a more open grill will change the sound too much.
-I really want to put some sort of honeycomb pattern grill in instead, maybe some laser printed acrylic or thin aluminium.

Sep 27, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #20,166 of 21,179

Which was exactly why I chose the 560s: a more open, airy, neutral option with a larger sound stage to complement my closed, more impactful and colored T50RP mods (original Smeggy Thuderpants TP-1). I knew the bass would be less impactful than the Thunderpants or even my Sennheiser HD6XXs, but even in that light the 560v3 is still a bit disappointing in the bass department although they otherwise sound fantastic.

Sep 27, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #20,167 of 21,179
Thanks for the advice.
I don't know if you're a mind reader, but I've actually been researching some of the modding possibilities of the HE-560.
I tend to favour the level headed takes, and they seem conclude that while the sound changes with modding, it's not necessarily better than unmodded.

The only mod I've seriously considered is swapping the grills for something a little fancier, but that's just for show. Don't know if a more open grill will change the sound too much.
-I really want to put some sort of honeycomb pattern grill in instead, maybe some laser printed acrylic or thin aluminium.
The least effective mod to improve the sound quality of HE560 is actually the grill mod in my opinion. Also, this mod is quite risky - the grills of HE560 is actually metal and the moment I unlocked the grill from the plastic ring securing it, the grill was attracted by the very strong magnet bars of the driver and hit the planar driver. I imagine the sharp edge of the grill could have pierced the diaphragm if it hit the driver with a different angle.

Sep 27, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #20,168 of 21,179
Which was exactly why I chose the 560s: a more open, airy, neutral option with a larger sound stage to complement my closed, more impactful and colored T50RP mods (original Smeggy Thuderpants TP-1). I knew the bass would be less impactful than the Thunderpants or even my Sennheiser HD6XXs, but even in that light the 560v3 is still a bit disappointing in the bass department although they otherwise sound fantastic.

I'm already used to what some might call "lacking" bass from my Stax (personally I love it; detailed and fast without any fatigue), so I'm sort of prepared I suppose. But time will tell.
The HE-560 paired with a battery powered O2 amp is intended to be my "portable" alternative for home use, if we get along.

I actually had a HD6XX and a Crack not long ago.
Most people love that combo, and I did too, mostly. But I found them a little fatiguing for prolonged listening. It's hard to explain why, but it sort of felt like there was "too much" sound at times. Sort of oppressive lows and mids in a way, like my ears never were allowed to rest and listen in a way.
I immediately fell in love with the airy, neutral and non-fatiguing sound of the Stax and sold the Senns+Crack.
But that's just me being my weird self.

The least effective mod to improve the sound quality of HE560 is actually the grill mod in my opinion. Also, this mod is quite risky - the grills of HE560 is actually metal and the moment I unlocked the grill from the plastic ring securing it, the grill was attracted by the very strong magnet bars of the driver and hit the planar driver. I imagine the sharp edge of the grill could have pierced the diaphragm if it hit the driver with a different angle.

That would be comically tragic, though.
Carefully loosening the grill only for it to smash edge-first into the driver and destroy it :beyersmile:
Yeah on second/third thought, I'm not doing it.
But I will make a new cable! I need one with a 3.5mm jack anyway.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #20,169 of 21,179
I'm already used to what some might call "lacking" bass from my Stax (personally I love it; detailed and fast without any fatigue), so I'm sort of prepared I suppose. But time will tell.
The HE-560 paired with a battery powered O2 amp is intended to be my "portable" alternative for home use, if we get along.

That would be comically tragic, though.
Carefully loosening the grill only for it to smash edge-first into the driver and destroy it :beyersmile:
Yeah on second/third thought, I'm not doing it.
But I will make a new cable! I need one with a 3.5mm jack anyway.
That would be a good idea - the stock cable is kind of stiff. Another simple, risk-free mod is pad-swapping. The focus-A pads help to damp some resonances and make the treble response slightly smoother. However, they also reduce the bass impact slightly. It's still worthy to try swapping the pads to see what suit your listening preference.

Sep 27, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #20,170 of 21,179
That would be a good idea - the stock cable is kind of stiff. Another simple, risk-free mod is pad-swapping. The focus-A pads help to damp some resonances and make the treble response slightly smoother. However, they also reduce the bass impact slightly. It's still worthy to try swapping the pads to see what suit your listening preference.

I was actually thinking of getting some new pads made by Vesper Audio.
Already got some new pads for my L500 from them that I adore, and waiting for them to get back to me about some new pads for my MJ2.
So if I take a liking to the HR-560 I'll probably get some custom made for them too, maybe orange or something to go with the (slightly garish, to my tastes) color scheme of the new HE-560.

Sep 27, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #20,171 of 21,179

Interesting. Which HE560 model? Curious as to your impressions vs the Stax.

I actually had a HD6XX and a Crack not long ago.
Most people love that combo, and I did too, mostly. But I found them a little fatiguing for prolonged listening. It's hard to explain why, but it sort of felt like there was "too much" sound at times. Sort of oppressive lows and mids in a way, like my ears never were allowed to rest and listen in a way

Wow, most people have the opposite reaction to the 6XX paired with a tube amp! I use mine (as well as the Thunderpants and the HE560) with my Schiit Lyr 2 (with Czech Tesla tubes) and they're super easy on the ears, if a bit claustrophobic in the sound stage department. To each their own!

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #20,172 of 21,179
Thanks for the advice.

Is this something like what you are looking for:
HE-560_Grill-2.jpg

While I also have a BH Crack + HD650 I'm like the other poster that find this combo about as easy to listen to as any. Did you try different tubes in the BH Crack or even some updates like capacitors, stepped volume controller, etc?

I think only the newer versions without the back plate are affected since my back plate version does not attract anything.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #20,173 of 21,179
Interesting. Which HE560 model? Curious as to your impressions vs the Stax.

I'm still waiting for mine, the v3 as they call it. The one that's been on Adorama for $299 for ages now.
Isn't it a bit suspicious that a headphone that once cost $899 suddenly is widely available for around $300?
Something has to be rotten in Denmark, or something.
But I figured, at this price I have to try it.

Is this something like what you are looking for:

I think only the newer versions without the back plate are affected since my back plate version does not attract anything.

Yes! That is exactly what I want.
But I don't want to risk my drivers just for a fancy grill though. Conundrum!

IWow, most people have the opposite reaction to the 6XX paired with a tube amp! I use mine (as well as the Thunderpants and the HE560) with my Schiit Lyr 2 (with Czech Tesla tubes) and they're super easy on the ears, if a bit claustrophobic in the sound stage department. To each their own!
While I also have a BH Crack + HD650 I'm like the other poster that find this combo about as easy to listen to as any. Did you try different tubes in the BH Crack or even some updates like capacitors, stepped volume controller, etc?
I kitted out my Crack with every upgrade under the sun (well, except the Cree Schottky diode mod). And tried several different tubes except the moronically expensive ones. -truth be told, I cared little for tube rolling and found little benefit from switching between them.
I'll probably build another one in time, or a SEX, I'm a bit of a DIY amateur enthusiast.

I don't know really. It's just that when I tried the Stax I could hear more of what I wanted to hear, I suppose.
I never experienced any sibilance or harshness with the Crack+Senns combo or anything unpleasant; it was very, very good.
Smooth, warm, powerful. But I found it quite smothering in a way. But I only realised that after trying electrostatics.
It's just that when I tried the Stax I realised what I (and I have to emphasize that this is my personal preference, not some objective truth) want from headphones; air, speed, neutrality, details and a slight focus on the higher frequencies (happily at the expense of bass punch).

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #20,174 of 21,179
I'm still waiting for mine, the v3 as they call it. The one that's been on Adorama for $299 for ages now.
Isn't it a bit suspicious that a headphone that once cost $899 suddenly is widely available for around $300?
Something has to be rotten in Denmark, or something.
But I figured, at this price I have to try it.

Yup, that's the one I got. I did have to return the first one they shipped me because the left driver distorted below 45hz, so make sure you run a frequency sweep at decent volume! The replacement pair Adorama sent have so far been flawless, aside from the aforementioned slightly anemic bass impact. I've been listening to them for about a week now and I think I've made my mind up to keep them. I really like the open, airy sound and there's no way I'm going to find a giant planar magnetic driver of this quality for anywhere close to the $299 I spent unless I buy used. And even then...

I just wish we had some reliable measurements of these v2 and v3 versions to compare!

Sep 28, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #20,175 of 21,179
Yup, that's the one I got. I did have to return the first one they shipped me because the left driver distorted below 45hz, so make sure you run a frequency sweep at decent volume!

Well I got my pair today, and I'm quite disappointed to report that there is indeed a problem with them.
I have a couple of songs I use to try and get a feel for how headphones handle different frequencies.
One of my favourites for testing the bass is Jeff Beck's "Morning", and with my new HE-560 there is an awful scratching noise on louder bass notes.
After noticing this I also did, as you suggest, a sweep and the scratching is quite easily noticeable and very bothersome between 30 and 100Hz on louder volumes.

I've contacted Hifiman to see if they can help me out, if not I'm probably returning these to Adorama.
Though since I'm in Norway, at the other end of the Atlantic from Adorama in New York, I'd rather avoid spending too much on International shipping.

What a turd sandwich this turned out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back