= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 26, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #19,921 of 21,175
So these sound like the 400s?

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #19,922 of 21,175
so these sound like 400s?

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #19,923 of 21,175
So I've got mine on the 9th notch. If they're on your head, can you pull them apart much? Because I can barely pull them off of my ears to take off/put on.

I now have mine on the 7th notch and can take them on and off with no problem. I have an average sized head I think. It was definitely tighter at first and the clamping force was fairly strong, but it got better over time with some gentle stretching. I agree though that it's not an ideal design because it was intended for the Sundara cups. It probably wasn't meant to be retro-fitted onto the 560 cups.

The V2 obviously doesn't offer electrostatic like detail, and tones down the brightness that might be present on the original, but it's exceptionally smooth and pleasant to listen to. I can't complain at all for $300. It's a good placeholder as I might upgrade to the Ananda at some point in the future. I just don't think I'll get an appreciable upgrade if I go to the Sundara for an extra $200.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #19,924 of 21,175
Well I got mine in last night. Took forever despite being the one who listed the v2's being for sale for $299 first and probably one of the first ones to order. Despite that, I didn't even have time last night to pop them out of the box unfortunately. Looking forward to that tonight after work at least if things go well with my time today. That being said, some of the comments about the headband are a bit disappointing so far from what I'm reading. I have a pretty big noggin and hoping I can wear these comfortably. I thought the v2's are suppose to have the same headband as the Sundara which no one seems to complain about for headsize comfort that I can find. So did they put a smaller headband of the sundara style instead on these v2's??

Jul 26, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #19,925 of 21,175
so after some listening these DO NOT sound nearly as good as the originals. i gave them some time to settle in also which is why i didnt post this sooner. they have a much more noticeable bass roll off as well as this oddity up top which makes them sound more mid forward. they lack the shimmer and detail of the highs on the original. i wouldnt say veiled but its there. i can be far more detailed if someone wants. but i did get to listen to the sundaras and those would be a better buy imo. these sound like they really should have fell between the 400i and the sundara. and they should be priced accordingly. now about the headband, can i wear them? yes? are they as comfortable as i would like? no. when i had the sundara here i checked the headbands, both are basically identical. as others said they did not account for the difference in the pads / cups. are these a good buy at 300$ ehh i guess if you dont have anything else that fits that type of sound then yes. for 899$ they must be joking. even the original for 899$ was kind of crazy. those would be a solid 499$ imo. if they fixed the headband issues. ive decided to keep this pair and i think i may play around with these and the originals maybe swap drivers to see if its the drivers or the actual cups / band etc.because im curious like that. i would honestly not buy them again though personally.

How would you compare it to the HE4XX?. I'm receiving my HE560 V2 today and was wondering if I should return them and wait for the HE4XX to drop again.

Jul 26, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #19,927 of 21,175
Well I got mine in last night. Took forever despite being the one who listed the v2's being for sale for $299 first and probably one of the first ones to order. Despite that, I didn't even have time last night to pop them out of the box unfortunately. Looking forward to that tonight after work at least if things go well with my time today. That being said, some of the comments about the headband are a bit disappointing so far from what I'm reading. I have a pretty big noggin and hoping I can wear these comfortably. I thought the v2's are suppose to have the same headband as the Sundara which no one seems to complain about for headsize comfort that I can find. So did they put a smaller headband of the sundara style instead on these v2's??

Sorry Humble-Hubby but I am a bit disappointed that you did not make time to take them out of the box last night, listen for a few minutes and start the burn-in ritual. Surly your wife could have kept her hands off you for just one night! :ksc75smile:

Talking about the headband, I had a problem with it on the Sundara, as I reckon that the strap should have been longer to alleviate a point load on the head. It was a bit of a deal breaker for me as it was always a relief to remove the Sundara from the head. Hopefully the headband on the V2 does not have this unnecessary problem. I prefer the look of the new V2 cups as am not a fan of fake wood but it does not really matter how it looks.

Another fly in the sour cream for me is the fixed 6.35mm plug, especially on a revamped model, when hopefully many powerful DAPs are capable of driving it?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #19,928 of 21,175
How would you compare it to the HE4XX?. I'm receiving my HE560 V2 today and was wondering if I should return them and wait for the HE4XX to drop again.

I think for the price/build of the HE4XX, it's a better deal than the v2's. Even better if you do a few simple mods (grill/pad swap).

Piggybacking to ask if anyone can como
Pare the physical size of the 560V2 cups vs the 4xx cups

I think they're the same. I'll check when I get home.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #19,929 of 21,175
Trying them out now finally that I got home and got a few minutes before bed time.

The headband is fine in terms of size, they extend pretty far out. Over a dozen notches on each side. Not sure who was complaining these are small because they are not. As for the cups, they feel like cheaper plastic than 400i's do and way worse than the 4XX. The earpads that came with the 4XX sets I've tried were much better too.

Now for the sound. Good when it works. There is a lot of diaphram crackinling/crinkling going on with my set. Also I got some annoying channel imbalance too. Coming in much strong on the left than the right. Then there is the problem that initially I had no sound out of the right side until I unplugged and replugged them in a few times. Seems to be working right now for the moment. Still have the channel imbalance and crinkling when I move my head a bit. If I shake my head some the left cup rattles too. Thinking I got one that should have failed QC. So looks like I'm sending them back for a replacement. Sucks. Feel like I'm getting some bad headphone luck lately. Just also got in a pair of m1060c headphones that were broken in the right cup that I'm having to deal with as well as these being failures. At least not everything I recently got in was bad, just these 560's and the m1060c's. At least these should be easy enough to get replaced.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #19,930 of 21,175
Trying them out now finally that I got home and got a few minutes before bed time.

The headband is fine in terms of size, they extend pretty far out. Over a dozen notches on each side. Not sure who was complaining these are small because they are not. As for the cups, they feel like cheaper plastic than 400i's do and way worse than the 4XX. The earpads that came with the 4XX sets I've tried were much better too.

Now for the sound. Good when it works. There is a lot of diaphram crackinling/crinkling going on with my set. Also I got some annoying channel imbalance too. Coming in much strong on the left than the right. Then there is the problem that initially I had no sound out of the right side until I unplugged and replugged them in a few times. Seems to be working right now for the moment. Still have the channel imbalance and crinkling when I move my head a bit. If I shake my head some the left cup rattles too. Thinking I got one that should have failed QC. So looks like I'm sending them back for a replacement. Sucks.

Nine notches. And they could extend out to 20 notches and it still wouldn't change the fact the suspension strap is too short.

I'm also pretty sure the 4XX cups use the exact same plastic, they just have a matte paint where the v2's have a glossy coating. And I just compared the pads from the v2's and 4XX's, they look/feel identical.

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #19,931 of 21,175
^^^ the pads look exactly the same on my 560v2 and 4xx. if u can ever get these at 299 again id have a tough choice of these or the 4xx. but for what the 4xx cost they are not far behind in sound and basically nearly the same overall quality these might be a bit better build wise but only in the metal yokes where the 4xx has the plastic they slide in i prefer the way these adjust that area looks more stout on the 560. i agree with helio if u do a few mods to the 4xx they could prob sound better or at least as good for less money. ill measure the cups later tonight and see if they are the same overall size they look close though. i prefer the finish of the 4xx myself of the cups. and there are only 9 notches on my set also

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #19,933 of 21,175
I got some annoying channel imbalance too. Coming in much strong on the left than the right. Then there is the problem that initially I had no sound out of the right side until I unplugged and replugged them in a few times. Seems to be working right now for the moment.

Check your cable (switch the sides and see if the imbalance switches). I just got mine and the right channel of the cable is completely dead...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back