= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 1, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #19,621 of 21,171
I just saved a bunch of money on audio gear by building my own patches!
20180601_080054.jpg
20180601_080111.jpg
RSA, 2.5mm TRRS, 2x 3.5mm TRS to go and I should be good?

Then it's on to new balanced cables for a few of my cans.

Too bad I noticed this the other day :frowning2:
20180530_205400.jpg
Good thing it was still in the first 30 days of warranty so I get a new replacement :)

Oh, I asked about using a desktop amp for the HE560s earlier. I ended up ordering an Emotiva A-100 Gen 2. I plan on using the top patch I made for running off the rear outputs (no resistor) and then just plugging in directly in to the headphone jack (resistor) for high sensitivity drivers. This way I wont have to keep opening the amp to change the jumpers for the resistor bypass on the headphone jack. I don't plan on using monitors so this will be headphone dedicated. Here are some specifications if anyone cares:

Power Output (main outputs; two channels driven):
50 watts / channel RMS; 8 Ohms; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; <0.05% THD.
80 watts / channel RMS; continuous; into 4 ohms.

Power Output (headphone output; normal mode):
8 Ohms: 60 mW / channel
33 Ohms: 200 mW / channel
47 Ohms: 250 mW / channel
150 Ohms: 430 mW / channel
300 Ohms: 440 mW / channel
600 Ohms: 350 mW / channel

Power Output (headphone output; direct drive mode)
(requires internal jumper; USE WITH CAUTION):
8 Ohms: 50 watts / channel
33 Ohms: 12 watts / channel
47 Ohms: 8.5 watts / channel
150 Ohms: 2.6 watts / channel
300 Ohms: 1.3 watts / channel
600 Ohms: 0.6 watts / channel

Broad Band Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz + / - 0.08 dB at 1 watt
(-1 dB at 80 kHz).

Signal to Noise Ratio (8 Ohm load): > 110 dB; ref rated power; (A-weighted).

Minimum Recommended Load Impedance (per channel): 4 Ohms.

Damping Factor (8 Ohm load): > 500.

Input Sensitivity (for rated power; 8 Ohm load): 600 mV (0.6V).

Input Impedance: 27 kOhms.

All for $229, but back ordered by two weeks currently...

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #19,622 of 21,171
Yeah, the 7XX by comparison to the HE-560 is muddy and muffled to my ears. The HE-560 doesn't have the impact of the Elear, but the HE-560 is much better at resolving details and certainly does subtlety and dynamic variation worlds better than the Elear.

The HE-560 has all kinds of bass to my ears using either an O2 or a Lyr 2. It's nowhere near as bright as a Beyerdynamic headphone for instance but handles the full range of classical music for me flawlessly. Are you sure about all the connections? I had wonky sound out of a T1 (all bass) and it turned out the adapter wasn't making a good connection. Cleaned it and it sounded fine.

The HE-560 is much harder to drive than these two (which can be used unamped) due to its very low sensitivity but agreed the Mojo should have been plenty.

I don't have the LCD-2 so can't comment on them.
Good question regarding the connections.
I tested with several dac/amps; some of which required 3.5mm and others 6.35mm. So I did swap adapters but I should have disassembled the headphones to verify secure connections... and also cleaned the mains. I should think that with the number of tube leads and sockets I've cleaned that I would have taken time to do so. I just take for granted that my other headphones work reliably each session.

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #19,623 of 21,171
Well I'm sorry to say I took my HE-560's out of their case today and the left yoke just broke in two places as I lifted them up. I have fired an email off to HifiMan so will see what they say

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #19,624 of 21,171
Well I'm sorry to say I took my HE-560's out of their case today and the left yoke just broke in two places as I lifted them up. I have fired an email off to HifiMan so will see what they say
Man that really sucks. I hope you can get this sorted out. Every time I even look at mine, I pray to the HP Gods they don’t crack just from my gaze. This issue is intolerable and is still happening.
HifiMan should just do a complete recall like Focal did or any car company instead of this cheesy replacement headbands program they have in place now. This is a shame just as they should feel about themselves.
How do you even have a chance to sell/trade these anymore without taking a bath on them?

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #19,625 of 21,171
It does seem to be the batch that Adorama had but I don't want to ship them across the Atlantic and have to pay duty all over again

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #19,626 of 21,171
Panda-Man, A yoke broke on my HE400i recently that was only 2 weeks old - which I bought on Amazon UK about 4 weeks ago.

Just before the yoke broke - one of the drivers failed, which turned out to be a dodgy soldering job onto the driver. I reckon that a child would have done a better soldering job!

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #19,627 of 21,171
It does seem to be the batch that Adorama had but I don't want to ship them across the Atlantic and have to pay duty all over again
If that’s the case, which I believe it is, what the heck kind of business practice is this? Take out a dart board, hope they dont break, cross your fingers and sell um cheap.

“Psst, we won’t tell anyone, offer up nice packaging and throw in a balanced cable. That’ll make um happy. We can sell a ton of these things while cleaning up all our BStock inventory. Free advertising, some complaints, big deal as we’ll survive. Plus we’re discontinuing them anyway so the fallout will be short lived and we’ll make some profit too. Not everyone is gonna get a broken yolk and the odds are in our favor. Who’s out there that’ll go for it? Adorama? Yeah, we gotta good relationship with them.
Let’s just do it. Give um a call”

I can go on and on.
It is what it is.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #19,629 of 21,171
I really like these He-560's if they send me another headband I'll change it but always be worried I guess
As you should be. I thought I read numerous posts where the replacements broke too. Maybe it is just a really really bad batch and poor workmanship, but recall the entire lot. Who checks this stuff out? Are they assembled and they’re just shipped out with zero QC? All of this is hard to Swallow.
Someone please explain to me why a balanced cable would be included with some of these? Lol...and what a coincidence that the yolks are broke along with smokin retail.
Rant (s) done.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #19,630 of 21,171
I really like these He-560's if they send me another headband I'll change it but always be worried I guess

Let us know how it goes. They will likely send you some new yokes which should be fairly easy to fit (ask them for 2).

I heard of someone on here who said they had got the Sundara headband but I had the Sundara and found the headband uncomfortable and preferred the 400i headband which is a fairly similar to the 560 design.

Jun 4, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #19,631 of 21,171

Mine, with the defect at the top of this page, came from the Adorama batch and the headband felt fine. Not saying that I would know what a bad one felt like anyways :wink:

Their QC on my unit could have been better though...

I don't have a clue how long before I get a replacement and my A-100 shipped today :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #19,632 of 21,171
I'm consideringvre-buying the 560's. The first pair I owned had exceptional fit and comfort but the sound was unacceptable.
Did you have any early indication that your yoke was about to fail/break ?

Jun 4, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #19,633 of 21,171
I'm consideringvre-buying the 560's. The first pair I owned had exceptional fit and comfort but the sound was unacceptable.
Did you have any early indication that your yoke was about to fail/break ?
None whatsoever they have never been misused bumped or dropped and always kept in a case.

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #19,634 of 21,171
As you should be. I thought I read numerous posts where the replacements broke too. Maybe it is just a really really bad batch and poor workmanship, but recall the entire lot. Who checks this stuff out? Are they assembled and they’re just shipped out with zero QC? All of this is hard to Swallow.
Someone please explain to me why a balanced cable would be included with some of these? Lol...and what a coincidence that the yolks are broke along with smokin retail.
Rant (s) done.

I would assume it’s a bit difficult to tell if the glue/resin is going to fail when otherwise it looks perfectly acceptable out of the box. How would you suggest they qc this problem better? Just bend them all untill they break? They announced a while back that they had an issue with an unannounced change their plastics manufacture made and have said they will replace any faulty units and that going forward they have addressed the issue with their manufacture. It sucks that stuff breaks, but it’s how a company reacts in such a failure that is what matters.

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #19,635 of 21,171

They just sent me a new headband. They asked for a picture and the date of purchase.

I'm still using PaulDGroot's yokes and they are still in perfect condition!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back