= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 14, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #19,576 of 21,171
I think I also miss interpreted your post about not getting enough volume, my apologies.

As for the HE-adapter its a special deal that Hifiman has with some dealers IIRC

Yeah, I'm sorry as well for not reading your post properly. Peace :)

You guys and a bunch of others just like you are why I'm here. Thanks, but no apologies needed.

All input is welcome, not just what I want to believe. I will look into signal flow this weekend and see if I get better results sourced from a PC. I've had issues like that before with other portable DAC/amps. My cans are pretty new too still. I might be 50 hrs now...

Thanks again to all you ladies and gentlemen and keep up the good work :metal:

May 14, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #19,577 of 21,171
Did you do some rough calibration of the app? There is a settings option that you can adjust the reading to read higher or lower since not all built in mics are the same so its recommended to do a rough calibration before using the app.

I was able to take a few minutes in an audio control room today and try to calibrate my Sound Meter app. No gear was on so I imagine it was pretty quiet in there. I held my breath and adjusted it so the average volume was 19 db in what I thought was a silent room. Did I do that right? If so, all my numbers from before are over exaggerated by +6db...

[Update]
My calibration has to be wrong. My HE560s are screaming off my Lyr 2. I can't even put them on and I'm reading 74 db max?!?!

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #19,578 of 21,171
You should stick to what you know. You use this when connecting to a tube amplifier as it has a resistor inside. You don’t need it on ss power amps.read the he6 thread.
When to the HE6 thread and first reply said its not specific to tube amps but for protection of the amp (SS/tubes) and headphones. You are correct that many say it degrades the sound.

May 15, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #19,579 of 21,171
I was able to take a few minutes in an audio control room today and try to calibrate my Sound Meter app. No gear was on so I imagine it was pretty quiet in there. I held my breath and adjusted it so the average volume was 19 db in what I thought was a silent room. Did I do that right? If so, all my numbers from before are over exaggerated by +6db...

[Update]
My calibration has to be wrong. My HE560s are screaming off my Lyr 2. I can't even put them on and I'm reading 74 db max?!?!
That's a pretty good indication that you did the calibration wrong :ksc75smile:. I compared my phone+app to a high end meter used for work (OSHA requirement) which is calibrated once a week and in my bathroom (quietest place) holding my breath it reads 32-33dB so I think you might be off about 13-15dB which would raise the 74dB to 87-89dB which is quite loud to me and about where I can't put them on also.

May 15, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #19,581 of 21,171
I would hope that an audio control room is much quieter then a household bathroom.

Most bathrooms yes, but maybe not in an industrial building. I work in a production studio so I have access to sound deadened rooms and audio control rooms used to record voice overs. What I don't have is a db reference IRL...

May 16, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #19,582 of 21,171
That's a pretty good indication that you did the calibration wrong :ksc75smile:. I compared my phone+app to a high end meter used for work (OSHA requirement) which is calibrated once a week and in my bathroom (quietest place) holding my breath it reads 32-33dB so I think you might be off about 13-15dB which would raise the 74dB to 87-89dB which is quite loud to me and about where I can't put them on also.

An audio engineer buddy of mine is going to bring in a hand held SPL meter this weekend, so one problem down.

I'm sitting here at work listening to the HE560s sourced from an ASUS Essence STX in to a Schiit Valhalla 2 playing some old school bass songs I've destroyed at least a 100 lbs of Loctite with :wink: and holy poop, am I amazed! The low end response and accuracy is amazing. Just wow! I'm going to have to try this again at home off the Lyr 2.

Lastly, is this a good option or should I stop looking in this direction for additional wattage: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Balanced-X...hash=item2837bc07bc:m:mA6EGZFDrySZv-X4Tr63CIA

May 16, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #19,583 of 21,171
An audio engineer buddy of mine is going to bring in a hand held SPL meter this weekend, so one problem down.

I'm sitting here at work listening to the HE560s sourced from an ASUS Essence STX in to a Schiit Valhalla 2 playing some old school bass songs I've destroyed at least a 100 lbs of Loctite with :wink: and holy poop, am I amazed! The low end response and accuracy is amazing. Just wow! I'm going to have to try this again at home off the Lyr 2.

Lastly, is this a good option or should I stop looking in this direction for additional wattage: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Balanced-X...hash=item2837bc07bc:m:mA6EGZFDrySZv-X4Tr63CIA

Haha, glad to see I'm not the only person with a desktop amp at work. Though mine is a Lyr 2, ironically enough.

Thanks for sharing that adapter on Ebay. I think I'm gonna try that with my LCD-4.

May 16, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #19,584 of 21,171

This is what I use to connect my phones to my vidar. It’s all you need

May 16, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #19,585 of 21,171
Haha, glad to see I'm not the only person with a desktop amp at work. Though mine is a Lyr 2, ironically enough.

Thanks for sharing that adapter on Ebay. I think I'm gonna try that with my LCD-4.

Lol. The Lyr 2 is my work amp too. I've just had it home for the HE560 during the evenings and the weekends. I usually have the Lyr 2 and a T50RP at work. The Valhalla 2 usually sits by my home PC with the DT880 or HD6xx attached. The Valhalla 2 has always had more than enough power for home until the HE560 arrived, but more than enough for an open planar at work.

This is what I use to connect my phones to my vidar. It’s all you need

Any advice on amps to use these with that won't break the bank. I've also heard others mention don't do this and do that on this amp, but not that amp and so on...

What are the amp limitations with the HE560 connected directly to the speaker outputs as well as the headphone?

TIA!

May 16, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #19,586 of 21,171

I don't think you need to look for "additional wattage" since you noted that your current amps get the HE560 to your listening level but you still might want to try using a speaker amp since it will sound a bit different, better or worse is subjective on the part of the listener. I've tried my HE560 on my SAE X10a and Harmon Kardon Citation XX amps and the only thing I liked better was the slightly wider sound stage that these amp gave over my Lyr2 and since I live in Hawaii I really don't want to use these amps since they are like room heaters and make the already hot Lyr2 feel like a small hand warmer in comparison.

May 17, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #19,587 of 21,171
...another Broke Yoke victim over here.....
Did somebody know what HiFiman wants for the Sundara metal yoke?
I have an email in to them but no word back yet, wonder how much I'm gonna have to throw at HiFiman for it.

THANX!!!

p.s. these sound spectacular on Woo WA2....even with the Duct Tape Yoke mod on there.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #19,588 of 21,171
...another Broke Yoke victim over here.....
Did somebody know what HiFiman wants for the Sundara metal yoke?
I have an email in to them but no word back yet, wonder how much I'm gonna have to throw at HiFiman for it.

THANX!!!

p.s. these sound spectacular on Woo WA2....even with the Duct Tape Yoke mod on there.

I emailed a photo of the damage along with my receipt. I asked if a metal yoke was possible as a replacement. Hifiman customer service sent the Sundara yoke free of charge.

May 17, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #19,589 of 21,171
very cool hifiman has always had good customer service when I needed them..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back