= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 19, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #18,513 of 21,171
I am planning on moving to Focus-A pads soon, as I find the headphone (and my amp) bright. Having said that, is the Jerg mod a must do? I would like the mids to be little bit thick and tame the highs a bit (which the focus-a pads are supposed to do). I also want the bass to be snappier and extended (like my friend's Audeze LCD2.2 I currently am wearing :D )

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #18,514 of 21,171
The Polaris comes as both a kit and already built, you probably want it already built since it comes with a warranty (5 yrs IIRC) while the DIY kit does not have warranty.
Yes, I would recommend the prebuilt for just about anyone since the price difference is small and it comes with a good warranty. I went the DIY route as I’m off work for the Holidays and I wanted a fun project to keep me busy. I used to build guitar pedals back in the day and I miss the smell of solder.

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #18,515 of 21,171
Just stopping by the say hi. My HE560 should be arriving today, but it will be a few days before I can use them with my home setup. Anybody here use them with an Audio GD stack? I've got the Precision 2, which I've read from reviews is very close to the Master 9 in performance, just with a slightly warm tilt.

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #18,516 of 21,171
Just stopping by the say hi. My HE560 should be arriving today, but it will be a few days before I can use them with my home setup. Anybody here use them with an Audio GD stack? I've got the Precision 2, which I've read from reviews is very close to the Master 9 in performance, just with a slightly warm tilt.
See my signature for details, but I love the sound of my 560's through my home set up. I prefer it do my aeons through the same system, though the 560's aren't nearly as comfy for long sessions. I've also tried my nfb1 with the idsd be as the DAC and it still sounds great.

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #18,517 of 21,171
From experience I can say that holding one of those single speaker cassette recorders up to the radio to make a copy of my favourite song did not produce the best sound quality..
I guess that dates me a little...

Dec 20, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #18,518 of 21,171
I am planning on moving to Focus-A pads soon, as I find the headphone (and my amp) bright. Having said that, is the Jerg mod a must do? I would like the mids to be little bit thick and tame the highs a bit (which the focus-a pads are supposed to do). I also want the bass to be snappier and extended (like my friend's Audeze LCD2.2 I currently am wearing :D )

Back on page 519-520 I commented on my pad experiments. The Focus A's definitely tamed the highs for me. What I found the best pad to be was to use the focusA's but cut out the fabric in the middle. I'm not sure if that's the Jerg mod you mean but it is a phenominal improvement.

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #18,519 of 21,171
Dec 20, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #18,520 of 21,171
Back on page 519-520 I commented on my pad experiments. The Focus A's definitely tamed the highs for me. What I found the best pad to be was to use the focusA's but cut out the fabric in the middle. I'm not sure if that's the Jerg mod you mean but it is a phenominal improvement.
A few pages back I've also talked up the ZMF Ori pads, however, last night I realized one interesting positive to the perforated version. When I was using the MH5 angled pads, I could hear the driver crinkle as the headphone would settle on my head or if the pad would compress. I'd heard about this being an issue with the LCD series and a potential cause for broken drivers if the earpad was compressed on the head too quickly. As the perforated pads don't create an airtight seal, I've not had this issue since getting them.

Obviously this doesn't affect the sound, but for me, it's now a great piece of mind to know that I shouldn't be able to break my fancy cans by putting them on my head quickly.

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #18,521 of 21,171
This is the mod I'm talking about. I have to order pretty much all the items so I wanted to get feedback.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/he-560-enhancement-mod-v1-5.738912/
I can't vouch for that mod, per se, but a lot of the ideas arid that mod were implemented in my "Batman" version. I've compared the stock to the Batman side by side and for my taste YMMV the mods had a pretty huge impact on the sound. All for the better IMO.

But again, mine is very different. I don't know how much the mods will do on their own, but would assume they'd definitely be worth the trouble, as long as you don't break anything. :wink:

Dec 21, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #18,522 of 21,171
Hi guys.

I audioned the HE400i todays. I found the mids a bit recessed, the highs a bit exagerated and there was a lack with bass extension. Otherwise, i found them so comfy and liked the sound a lot. Does anyone know if the he560 can improve on overall balance and with bass extension compared to the 400i? I will order the he560 if this is confirmed. I had ordered a set of AR-H1 and they are still back ordered so i am in the process of cancelling them. I like the he400i so much, if the he560 can only give me something toward what i stated avove, it's gonna be my favorite new toy.

Any thought?

Dec 21, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #18,523 of 21,171
Hi guys.

I audioned the HE400i todays. I found the mids a bit recessed, the highs a bit exagerated and there was a lack with bass extension. Otherwise, i found them so comfy and liked the sound a lot. Does anyone know if the he560 can improve on overall balance and with bass extension compared to the 400i? I will order the he560 if this is confirmed. I had ordered a set of AR-H1 and they are still back ordered so i am in the process of cancelling them. I like the he400i so much, if the he560 can only give me something toward what i stated avove, it's gonna be my favorite new toy.

Any thought?
The HE560's are an improvement over the HE400i's in every way to my ears. The only caveat is they are harder to drive. You'll need a pretty good amp to realize the HE560's potential.

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #18,524 of 21,171
I hate to be redundant but I will.
I’m so on the edge for pulling the trigger on these. The reason for my hesitation is that I just didn’t “love” the HE400i and just sold them.
Why would I dive into the 560 when I’ve read that the 400i gets you 80-90% of the 560’s performance? Sell me guys. It’s my Decision, I know that but i can’t test drive them. I have to say that I like bass. Look at my signature and that should tell you everything you need to know.
I’m done with the merry go round of buying/selling Hp’s and I’m ready to get off.
I have a LYR2 and continue to read that they are a pairing like a match made in audio heaven.
Regards

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #18,525 of 21,171
The HE560's are an improvement over the HE400i's in every way to my ears. The only caveat is they are harder to drive. You'll need a pretty good amp to realize the HE560's potential.
I am not worried about driving them. I have an nfb-1amp.

I like the sound of planars a lot. This was my first contact with them. They are so fatigue-free. And clean overall. Really really like that sound. I was not expecting so much comfort. They are better the the k7xx.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back