= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 25, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #18,541 of 21,171
I was one of those early adopters and bought them at the $899 when they were first available. I found they were worth it then and after a time without them I came back and at current prices they are a stupidly good bargain. Being an older guy the highs don’t seem emphasized and I find that cutting the membrane out of the focusA pads, a better cable and a well matched source and amp can make these truly spectacular.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #18,543 of 21,171
I was one of those early adopters and bought them at the $899 when they were first available. I found they were worth it then and after a time without them I came back and at current prices they are a stupidly good bargain. Being an older guy the highs don’t seem emphasized and I find that cutting the membrane out of the focusA pads, a better cable and a well matched source and amp can make these truly spectacular.
I'm like you and got my first HE560 a few months after they were out but paid $795 IIRC but I ended up giving it to my son for his graduation gift. The second one was a gift from an old GF and I think she paid around $649 back in late 2014.

Have you heard a new 2.5mm jack model and compared it to your SMC jack model? I've only heard one 2.5mm jack model but didn't have a older SMC jack version to do a direct comparison but to me the older one was just a tiny bit warmer based on memory.

Dec 26, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #18,544 of 21,171
I'm like you and got my first HE560 a few months after they were out but paid $795 IIRC but I ended up giving it to my son for his graduation gift. The second one was a gift from an old GF and I think she paid around $649 back in late 2014.

Have you heard a new 2.5mm jack model and compared it to your SMC jack model? I've only heard one 2.5mm jack model but didn't have a older SMC jack version to do a direct comparison but to me the older one was just a tiny bit warmer based on memory.

It was too long between the two models to be able to compare but I’m quite sure the fit and finish on the initial release was better than these. It felt like these were a bit hastily put together and even if the jacks and the plastic surrounds are of lesser quality. The veneer is most certainly rougher and less refined in fit and finish. At the price I paid though (about half the price of the first run and both were new) I’m fine with it.
Also my cable, source and amp are all different but I’m quite happy and sometimes even shocked at how good they sound.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #18,545 of 21,171
Got my he-560.

I think the set was a returned one, not sure. The finish of the wood veneer around the cup is very "so so". The cups are a bit flimsy. Comfortwise, they are not as good as the he-400i i tried, there is more clamping force and the earpads do not have as much space inside it seems. The supplied cable is so short, it's a joke. All in all, other than the beautiful box, the unboxing experience in quite negative.

BUT.... Once the cable untwisted, sitting in a good chair, running the he-560 single-ended until i get the balanced cable i ordered yesterday from Dyson Audio, the balance is very enjoyable. Very good soundstage. Smooth, easy to listen to. Airy. Much better balance than the k701. Beautiful mids. After break-in, the bass will go lower, and i expect the top end and mids to clean up a bit, there is probably a bit of distorsion, muddiness right now, which i expect at this stage. And talk about clean bass. With just the right amount.

It is certainly a keeper, the sound is just so beautiful and transparent. It's a real charm. It makes up for built quality, which is i would say is inferior to that of the he400i, really just acceptable.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #18,546 of 21,171
Even driven single-ended with the nfb-1amp, with about 2w of power under 45 ohms, there is more than enough to drive them to my normal listening level and adequately so. They akg k701 can't compete with this sound. It's so clean, uncolored. Voices sound so well. With old jazz, it's a dream. Like with Chet Baker, The touch of your lips... I love that sound. I will soon need a speaker upgrade it seems... I have the r2r 7 as dac, and it is again a wonderful match. I feel i can hear the dac properly through this set. And it's even better than i thought.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #18,547 of 21,171
Other impressiion today: i like the highs very much. All the information is present and they are silky smooth. But it this the result of my setup or the cans themselves? i would guess both. My setup is very smooth. Some people complains about the k701's treble. In my setup, there is a bit too much of it but it is smooth and resolved, as a reference. The he-560 is way more evenly balanced. It adds some bass and mids to the party and is less colored. The quality of the bass is quite amazing in comparison. The k701 has probably more bass impact, that's its only advantage.

At this point, i see that the clamping force is already reduced, compared to fresh out of the box. The pads are more comfy than the k701s. Overall, the he560 is a tad more comfy. The pads help a lot. There is not much heat building up. Last night, i had them on for 2-3 straight hours and suffered no fatigue either.

The he560 is a great set. Soundwise, they have no clear flaw.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #18,548 of 21,171
Other impressiion today: i like the highs very much. All the information is present and they are silky smooth. But it this the result of my setup or the cans themselves? i would guess both. My setup is very smooth. Some people complains about the k701's treble. In my setup, there is a bit too much of it but it is smooth and resolved, as a reference. The he-560 is way more evenly balanced. It adds some bass and mids to the party and is less colored. The quality of the bass is quite amazing in comparison. The k701 has probably more bass impact, that's its only advantage.

At this point, i see that the clamping force is already reduced, compared to fresh out of the box. The pads are more comfy than the k701s. Overall, the he560 is a tad more comfy. The pads help a lot. There is not much heat building up. Last night, i had them on for 2-3 straight hours and suffered no fatigue either.

The he560 is a great set. Soundwise, they have no clear flaw.

I agree with you about the quality of the treble on the HE560, it's simply amazing to me as well.

Regarding the bass quality I find it to have better quality than the bass on the HD800S. I purchased the HD800S a couple of months after the HE560 and the (relatively) looser bass on the HD800S was the first thing I noticed when I started using them......

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #18,549 of 21,171
I agree with you about the quality of the treble on the HE560, it's simply amazing to me as well.

Regarding the bass quality I find it to have better quality than the bass on the HD800S. I purchased the HD800S a couple of months after the HE560 and the (relatively) looser bass on the HD800S was the first thing I noticed when I started using them......
Agree with both that the treble on the HE560 is great. How the bass of the HD800S sounds is dependent on the amp, with a OTL tube amp (Elise-stock tubes) to me the HD800S bass would be as you described, a bit loose and not the most detailed but with a SS amp (Heron 5) the HD800S had some deep detailed bass that was far from loose or muddy. The HD560 is a little similar in that the choice of amp seems to make a difference in how the bass is presented and its not the mW / power output of the amp but how it pairs / synergy that matters.

Dec 28, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #18,550 of 21,171
Agree with both that the treble on the HE560 is great. How the bass of the HD800S sounds is dependent on the amp, with a OTL tube amp (Elise-stock tubes) to me the HD800S bass would be as you described, a bit loose and not the most detailed but with a SS amp (Heron 5) the HD800S had some deep detailed bass that was far from loose or muddy. The HD560 is a little similar in that the choice of amp seems to make a difference in how the bass is presented and its not the mW / power output of the amp but how it pairs / synergy that matters.

Yes, the bass on the HD800S is far from loose and muddy to me as well but the HE560 is even tighter on all the amps I've tried them both with. I was speaking in relative terms :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #18,551 of 21,171

I checked you profile, it's amazing all the gears you've got. What surprises me is you have nothing from audio-gd.

it surprises me that neither of you has any audio-gd gears. The match you get with the he-560 is really really good. Should be very good with HD800 given it's a set audio-gd's owner likes very much.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #18,552 of 21,171
Guys, I am really tempted to get the HE560 but mainly use my headphones with a DAP as I am not too keen on being tethered to a desk.

What portable amps do you recommend that will not hold back the full potential of the HE560?

The Fiio A5 springs to mind but I was not too impressed by it when I had it previously.

How does the Chord Mojo pair with the HE560, I had the mojo before and I found that it lacked a bit in dynamics and sub bass?

Dec 28, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #18,553 of 21,171
Guys, I am really tempted to get the HE560 but mainly use my headphones with a DAP as I am not too keen on being tethered to a desk.

What portable amps do you recommend that will not hold back the full potential of the HE560?

The Fiio A5 springs to mind but I was not too impressed by it when I had it previously.

How does the Chord Mojo pair with the HE560, I had the mojo before and I found that it lacked a bit in dynamics and sub bass?

I love my mojo with my 560s. Some people recommend a tube amp as well, but for an on the go solution the Mojo/560 combo is...wow!

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #18,554 of 21,171
Got my he-560....

The finish of the wood veneer around the cup is very "so so". The cups are a bit flimsy....

....After break-in ... i expect the top end and mids to clean up a bit, there is probably a bit of distorsion, muddiness right now, which i expect at this stage. And talk about clean bass. With just the right amount.

It is certainly a keeper, the sound is just so beautiful and transparent. It's a real charm. It makes up for built quality, which is i would say is inferior to that of the he400i, really just acceptable.

Very much what I found. I listened to mine only a little over the few days I burned them in and the clarity increased greatly.
Also, having recently had the HE400i I agree that this recent batch of HE560’s were a step down in quality of construction, but the sound at the current price is worth it.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #18,555 of 21,171
Very much what I found. I listened to mine only a little over the few days I burned them in and the clarity increased greatly.
Also, having recently had the HE400i I agree that this recent batch of HE560’s were a step down in quality of construction, but the sound at the current price is worth it.
Yes, soundwise, they are awesome.

I just inspected the overall quality under day light. Some spot where varnish is missing on the veneer, very poor job of finishing the plastic cups (some uneven spots), sharp edge where the cup meets the earpads. Looks like cheap plastic as well on the arcs holding the cups. The headband and the metal clamp are OK. But as far as the cups are concerned, it is something you would expect from a product found at Dollorama. I would be ashamed to ship such a poorly crafted product at any price. Seems like profit comes second, just after sound quality.

Shame on Hifiman.

I will keep them because they sound great and they seem solid enough to last for a few years without replacing parts. But it's a tough one to swallow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back