= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 20, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #17,251 of 21,179
I'm pretty impressed with my Mjolnir-1, that I'm currently using. For $360 , on the used market, it's a steal. Considering retail a few years ago was $749+shipping.
And it supplies plenty of juice to the 560's.
Coupled with my Theta dac, it delivers the goods in spades.

The for sale forums here are a blessing. Great deals to be had.

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #17,252 of 21,179
I'm pretty impressed with my Mjolnir-1, that I'm currently using. For $360 , on the used market, it's a steal. Considering retail a few years ago was $749+shipping.
And it supplies plenty of juice to the 560's.
Coupled with my Theta dac, it delivers the goods in spades.

The for sale forums here are a blessing. Great deals to be had.

I think I'll get the Mjolnir 1, thanks!

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #17,254 of 21,179
After owning my HE-560 for a while now, I only have one single complain.

What the hell is up with the Earpads? the leather comes of after around half a year of usage.. It is just glued on in a very cheap kinda way. At this price range I find this not acceptable.

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #17,255 of 21,179

What the hell is up with the Earpads? the leather comes of after around half a year of usage.. It is just glued on in a very cheap kinda way. At this price range I find this not acceptable.

There were a few others who also had the same issue of the leather coming of the mounting ring and some that had the leather splitting from the velour.  I believe those that had the leather coming of the mounting ring just glued them back and the one with the splitting leather/velour reported it back to Hifiman, I don't know what was the final out come of those cases.

FWIW mine are over 2 years old and still look like new on both my HE-560 and 400i.  I've also used the Focus-A on my HE-400 and Stax SRD-34 with no issues.

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #17,256 of 21,179
Does anyone have experience with more of the Schiit amps with he-560? I can't decide between the Lyr 2, Jot and Mjolnir 1 (second hand). Which has the best synergy with the he-560? I have read some nice words for all of them, but if someone has heard more than one of them with the he-560, I would appreciate his/her feedback. Thanks!

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #17,257 of 21,179
The 560 has some good synergy with the Lyr 2.  The Lyr 2 has some good dynamics with good slam, a bit on the warm side, which complements the 560 well.  I demoed the Jot for a week and while it is a fantastic amp, I wouldn't pair it with the 560.  With stock pads, the 560 already has some treble issues, the Jot would only increase this.  The Mjolnir 1, same reason as Jot, a little on the forward side regarding upper mids/lower treble which wouldn't make for the best pairing IMO.

Lyr 2 can also roll LISST solid state tubes, which makes it a bit more forward sounding, not unlike the Jot.

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #17,259 of 21,179
I can't speak from direct experience with the first gen Mjolnir as I've only listened through the Mjolnir 2, but based on my tube-rolling experience so far I have to think you can hugely tune the Mjolnir 1 to eliminate that "forwardness", especially if you combine that with the tuning effects of aftermarket cables for the headphones.

I changed out the factory cables to Moon Audio's black dragons - getting it in the balanced configuration, and also getting the adapter to use with the "standard" 1/4" headphone jack - and that tamed the glare considerably.  I'd say the tubes have a greater effect, but between the two there's lots of latitude.

Mike

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #17,260 of 21,179
I can't speak from direct experience with the first gen Mjolnir as I've only listened through the Mjolnir 2, but based on my tube-rolling experience so far I have to think you can hugely tune the Mjolnir 1 to eliminate that "forwardness", especially if you combine that with the tuning effects of aftermarket cables for the headphones.

I changed out the factory cables to Moon Audio's black dragons - getting it in the balanced configuration, and also getting the adapter to use with the "standard" 1/4" headphone jack - and that tamed the glare considerably.  I'd say the tubes have a greater effect, but between the two there's lots of latitude.

Mike

The Mjolnir 1 can't roll tubes, it is a solid state amp. Plus, rolling cables is something I would not recommend as far as tuning a sound. Especially when the person hasn't even found an amp yet to pair with the headphones.

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #17,261 of 21,179
I stand corrected - I wasn't aware the original Mjolnir was SS only. 

In that case I'd recommend finding a used Mjolnir 2 for that ability.  I definitely agree that amp is first and cables have a lower priority, but that doesn't negate the fact that good things can be achieved with them.  And in the case of the Mjolnir 2, a balanced solution makes best use of the amp so new cables worked favorably for multiple reasons.

Mike

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #17,262 of 21,179
Thanks again to both of you.

As most, I would guess, I am looking an amp that will give the he-560 a bit more weight and make the mids more liquid and euphonic. A bit more bass/sub-bass, a bit less forward upper mids/lower treble. This seems to me like a job meant for tubes, though I have never used tubes before.

I was leaning towards Lyr 2, but then I checked the Mjolnir 2 product page. My ESS based DAC is actually balanced, and I have powered monitors on my desktop rig, so Mjolnir features certainly fit better for me. The price is a bit hard to swallow, though.

I wonder if the Mjolnir 2 is more than just a balanced Lyr 2 configuration. Would there be any sonic improvements in using the Mjolnir 2 over the Lyr 2 using the same tubes, in SE? 

If the Mjolnir 2 can be tube-rolled to the sound I prefer, it might be worth trying to hunt down b-stock or second hand, over getting a new Lyr 2.

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #17,263 of 21,179

I wrapped the pads to the cup with electrical tape. This actually increases bass as well as take care of the sliding glue issue.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #17,264 of 21,179
  Thanks again to both of you.

As most, I would guess, I am looking an amp that will give the he-560 a bit more weight and make the mids more liquid and euphonic. A bit more bass/sub-bass, a bit less forward upper mids/lower treble. This seems to me like a job meant for tubes, though I have never used tubes before.

I was leaning towards Lyr 2, but then I checked the Mjolnir 2 product page. My ESS based DAC is actually balanced, and I have powered monitors on my desktop rig, so Mjolnir features certainly fit better for me. The price is a bit hard to swallow, though.

I wonder if the Mjolnir 2 is more than just a balanced Lyr 2 configuration. Would there be any sonic improvements in using the Mjolnir 2 over the Lyr 2 using the same tubes, in SE? 

If the Mjolnir 2 can be tube-rolled to the sound I prefer, it might be worth trying to hunt down b-stock or second hand, over getting a new Lyr 2.

Another amp suggestion is a Feliks Elise, while I've never heard one there are a few on the Elise thread who say its a great combination, in addition its will also work great with HD-800/S, T1 and HD-600/650.  I have and like the Lyr2 with the HE-560, rolling tubes does allow you to tune the sound a little to match but don't expect drastic changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back