= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 26, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #17,281 of 21,171
I would recommend a tube hybrid, vali 2 or even a Project Soltsice. If you can hold out for awhile, there are some excellent choices around $350.

Appreciate the feedback guys.  I have pushed my budget by about 200-300 usd to get these headphones, with the great prices available this weekend, I just could't resist . I feel that I buy an amp for approx 200 usd and enjoy that for some time. Atleast until the coming summer, by then I would probably buy be looking for a new pair of cans and choose amplification accordingly. 

So a tube hybrid is looking like the direction I am heading in as I have also heard the hd650s love them. At the moment it looks like it'll be vali 2 @ 159 used as project solstice @ 289 usd new is looking expensive. I could spend around 250 ish if the performance jump would be considerable with them. Pardon my inexperience in amps, I have just recently learned of headphones and amps are a new territory for me. 

Appreciate the help again guys
cheers.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #17,282 of 21,171
Appreciate the feedback guys.  I have pushed my budget by about 200-300 usd to get these headphones, with the great prices available this weekend, I just could't resist . I feel that I buy an amp for approx 200 usd and enjoy that for some time. Atleast until the coming summer, by then I would probably buy be looking for a new pair of cans and choose amplification accordingly. 

So a tube hybrid is looking like the direction I am heading in as I have also heard the hd650s love them. At the moment it looks like it'll be vali 2 @ 159 used as project solstice @ 289 usd new is looking expensive. I could spend around 250 ish if the performance jump would be considerable with them. Pardon my inexperience in amps, I have just recently learned of headphones and amps are a new territory for me. 

Appreciate the help again guys
cheers.

I've heard both with the 650, I'd go with the Vali 2. The Solstice may be more expensive, but I wouldn't call it an upgrade over the Vali 2.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #17,283 of 21,171
I've heard both with the 650, I'd go with the Vali 2. The Solstice may be more expensive, but I wouldn't call it an upgrade over the Vali 2.

Since I was pretty set on the vali 2, I started reading up on the vali 2 forum and people with vali are suggesting that if you're getting your feet wet in the hobby its better to start with a solid slate amp, in this case the magni 2.

example

[–]veni_vidi_valeDo audiophile androids dream of electrostatic sheep? 2 points 5 months ago 
Tube amps arent better than solid state amps or vice versa, they are just different.

If you are just dipping your feet in this hobby, IMO you should get a solid state amp, because solid state amps are more efficient, less finicky, longer lasting, cost less to maintain (no tubes to replace), are compatible with more types of headphones (e.g. planars, IEMs), and in general offer greater value from a price-performance perspective than any tube amp.

And if you want tube sound, IMO get a tube amp. And by tube amp I mean a real tube amp. Low-end hybrids like the vali 2 are typically neither fish nor fowl.

read it here
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4okdz6/is_the_schiit_vali_2_a_good_tube_amp_for_a/

Should I buy a used asgard for 219 usd instead??

im going to be using them with he 560 and hd 650.

thanks

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #17,284 of 21,171
Since I was pretty set on the vali 2, I started reading up on the vali 2 forum and people with vali are suggesting that if you're getting your feet wet in the hobby its better to start with a solid slate amp, in this case the magni 2.

example

[COLOR=888888][–]
veni_vidi_vale
Do audiophile androids dream of electrostatic sheep?
 2 points 5 months ago [/COLOR]

Tube amps arent better than solid state amps or vice versa, they are just different.

If you are just dipping your feet in this hobby, IMO you should get a solid state amp, because solid state amps are more efficient, less finicky, longer lasting, cost less to maintain (no tubes to replace), are compatible with more types of headphones (e.g. planars, IEMs), and in general offer greater value from a price-performance perspective than any tube amp.

And if you want tube sound, IMO get a tube amp. And by tube amp I mean a real tube amp. Low-end hybrids like the vali 2 are typically neither fish nor fowl.

read it here
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4okdz6/is_the_schiit_vali_2_a_good_tube_amp_for_a/

Should I buy a used asgard for 219 usd instead??

im going to be using them with he 560 and hd 650.

thanks

Asgard 2 is good, but the Vali 2 is a better pair with the 650. Not sure about 560. I wouldn't bother with what that person is saying. You don't need to replace the tube until around 5,000 hours in and then it's just a cheap $10 from Schiit for a replacement. No tuning, no tweaks. The Vali 2 is as simple to use as any solid state. Just stick the tube in and your good to go.

Bonus is you can try different tubes for cheap to tweak the sound. Lots of options on cheap alternative tubes if you want, or you can just use the tube it comes with and never worry about trying other tubes.

Both are solid amps though. I would just recommend you choose one based on its sonic properties and how it pairs with your headphones vs the ramblings of someone on Reddit.

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #17,285 of 21,171
@kauljp, I have the Asgard2 and its not an amp i would use with either HD-650 or HE-560.  With the HD-650 it sounds a little too digital to me and with the HE-560 it can sound harsh/sibilant since the Asgard2 is a touch on the bright side of neutral IMO.

The HD-650 and HE-560 are two headphones that like slightly different amp properties so finding an amp that will pair well with both limits your choices IMO.  I think the Porject Polaris from Garage 1217 might be a better fit for driving them since it has adjustable output resistance / impedance and a touch on the warmer side but the price is a little out of your range at $250

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #17,286 of 21,171
Asgard 2 is good, but the Vali 2 is a better pair with the 650. Not sure about 560. I wouldn't bother with what that person is saying. You don't need to replace the tube until around 5,000 hours in and then it's just a cheap $10 from Schiit for a replacement. No tuning, no tweaks. The Vali 2 is as simple to use as any solid state. Just stick the tube in and your good to go.

Bonus is you can try different tubes for cheap to tweak the sound. Lots of options on cheap alternative tubes if you want, or you can just use the tube it comes with and never worry about trying other tubes.

Both are solid amps though. I would just recommend you choose one based on its sonic properties and how it pairs with your headphones vs the ramblings of someone on Reddit.
Appreciate the feedback brother. In this case I have to consider that I was blown away by the sound of the 560. I think I need an amp which works more for the 560 in the 200-250 usd budget.

Thanks

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #17,287 of 21,171
@kauljp
, I have the Asgard2 and its not an amp i would use with either HD-650 or HE-560.  With the HD-650 it sounds a little too digital to me and with the HE-560 it can sound harsh/sibilant since the Asgard2 is a touch on the bright side of neutral IMO.

The HD-650 and HE-560 are two headphones that like slightly different amp properties so finding an amp that will pair well with both limits your choices IMO.  I think the Porject Polaris from Garage 1217 might be a better fit for driving them since it has adjustable output resistance / impedance and a touch on the warmer side but the price is a little out of your range at $250

Yes, Project Polaris is a good option for solid state.

Have you heard both headphones on a Vali 2 yet David? Quite an exceptional pairing. The Vali 2 was almost just as good as my Lyr 2 at the 560 pairing.

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #17,288 of 21,171
Yes, Project Polaris is a good option for solid state.

Have you heard both headphones on a Vali 2 yet David? Quite an exceptional pairing. The Vali 2 was almost just as good as my Lyr 2 at the 560 pairing.

Only played with the Vali2 for a short time so didn't really get to try out many headphones with it.  I tried a original Vali and it was not something I would ever buy.

The HE-560 is a little picky with amps, not as bad as the HD-800 but I noticed that there are a few amps that really make them sing.  My friend came by with his Hugo and it was great but another had a Mojo and it was a little disappointing which was surprising since they are rated the same output.  My Ember is okay but the Lyr2 makes a noticeable difference in the bass and sound stage but its the opposite with the HD-650 which is better on the Ember IMO.

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #17,289 of 21,171
I started out using a used RSA HR-2, that I got for about $300,worked great with the 560, and with the Senn 650 (sold it when I got my MicroZOTL2).

Nov 26, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #17,290 of 21,171

Appreciate the feedback brother. In this case I have to consider that I was blown away by the sound of the 560. I think I need an amp which works more for the 560 in the 200-250 usd budget.

Thanks

I found this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/826888/garage1217-project-polaris-amp

Fits the budget. I have the Polaris and use it with both the 560 and 650. It does a fine job. One serious advantage is all of the adjustability that is offered. Beyond that the customer service from Garage 1217 is exemplary. The designer and manufacturer are bot accessible online too.
As the Polaris output is FET based it gives a touch of what people call the tube sound. For the 560 it does well in taming the peakiness in the upper midrange lower treble. For my taste, all of the Schitt gear mentioned go the other way. Having the "Schitt house sound", they tend to exacerbate the problems that I have with the 560.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #17,291 of 21,171

I found this:

Fits his budget. I have the Polaris and use it with both the 560 and 650. It does a fine job. One serious advantage is all of the adjustability that is offered. Beyond that the customer service from Garage 1217 is exemplary. The designer and manufacturer are bot accessible online too.
As the Polaris output is FET based it gives a touch of what people call the tube sound. For the 560 it does well in taming the peakiness in the upper midrange lower treble. For my taste, all of the Schitt gear mentioned go the other way. Having the "Schitt house sound", they tend to exacerbate the problems that I have with the 560.

Agree that most Schitt exacerbate the problems with the 560 but for me with the Lyr2 the choice of tubes help counter the issues

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #17,292 of 21,171

I found this:

Fits his budget. I have the Polaris and use it with both the 560 and 650. It does a fine job. One serious advantage is all of the adjustability that is offered. Beyond that the customer service from Garage 1217 is exemplary. The designer and manufacturer are bot accessible online too.

Agree that most Schitt exacerbate the problems with the 560 but for me with the Lyr2 the choice of tubes help counter the issues

Yes, tube rolling can make big differences in the sound, but chasing the perfect tube can be a huge money pit. I have both an Ember and a Sunrise III. I have probably three to four times as much money invested in tubes as what both of the amps cost combined. Anyway, neither the Lyr nor the Ember fit the stated budget. Much less the cost of good tubes...

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #17,293 of 21,171

Yes, tube rolling can make big differences in the sound, but chasing the perfect tube can be a huge money pit. I have both an Ember and a Sunrise III. I have probably three times as much money invested in tubes as what both of the amps cost combined. Anyway, neither the Lyr nor the Ember fit the stated budget. Much less the cost of good tubes...

I did recommend the Polaris previously, my above post was just in response to your post about Schiit products and yes the investment in tubes is about 2-3 times the price of the amps.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #17,294 of 21,171

Yes, tube rolling can make big differences in the sound, but chasing the perfect tube can be a huge money pit. I have both an Ember and a Sunrise III. I have probably three times as much money invested in tubes as what both of the amps cost combined. Anyway, neither the Lyr nor the Ember fit the stated budget. Much less the cost of good tubes...

I did recommend the Polaris previously, my above post was just in response to your post about Schiit products and yes the investment in tubes is about 2-3 times the price of the amps.

Yes you did, and a good recommendation IMO. We are good!

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #17,295 of 21,171

I found this:

Fits the budget. I have the Polaris and use it with both the 560 and 650. It does a fine job. One serious advantage is all of the adjustability that is offered. Beyond that the customer service from Garage 1217 is exemplary. The designer and manufacturer are bot accessible online too.

Thank you sir,
I just sent the seller a pm. The price is in my budget and the condition seems to be good. Im hoping we can make a deal. 
Appreciate the feedback from everyone. You guys Rockkk

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back