= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 28, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #16,712 of 21,171
I am very reluctantly selling my grill modded HE-560s (Focus A pads), along with a like-new balanced Draug v2 cable with black & brown sleeving, terminated in 4 pin XLR. I am also throwing a Draug v2 4 pin XLR to 1/4" (6.3mm) adapter for free. The listing is below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815638/fs-hifiman-he-560-balanced-4-pin-xlr-norne-audio-draug-v2-draug-v2-4pin-xlr-to-6-3mm-adapter

I have moved finally to my new house and built a media room complete with speakers and room treatment. Unfortunately, my wife decided that since we have speakers, all fripperies (her word) like headphones and my pristine iBasso DX100 had to go. Sob:frowning2:

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #16,713 of 21,171

I have moved finally to my new house and built a media room complete with speakers and room treatment. Unfortunately, my wife decided that since we have speakers, all fripperies (her word) like headphones and my pristine iBasso DX100 had to go. Sob:frowning2:

Women just love giving men ultimatums. Still, at least you have your media room which you will be reminded of over and over and over again until you no longer enjoy it. :D :D

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #16,714 of 21,171
StanD: I would say it's the potentially uncorrect way it handles the impedance of a headphone. So, the amp can be blamed.
Plus, certain transistors / opamps / circuits can be brighter than others.

StanD is a highly experienced electrical engineer so you might be asked to explain technically how these effects take place. I would be curious to know if there is any proof such effects even if measureable are audible. There is often a huge difference between what we can measure and what we can hear.

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #16,715 of 21,171
  I am very reluctantly selling my grill modded HE-560s (Focus A pads), along with a like-new balanced Draug v2 cable with black & brown sleeving, terminated in 4 pin XLR. I am also throwing a Draug v2 4 pin XLR to 1/4" (6.3mm) adapter for free. The listing is below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815638/fs-hifiman-he-560-balanced-4-pin-xlr-norne-audio-draug-v2-draug-v2-4pin-xlr-to-6-3mm-adapter

Feel sorry for you, thats a hard decision, HE-560 or wife
basshead.gif
 , kidding aside, you have a dedicated media room which I would love to have.

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #16,716 of 21,171
  Feel sorry for you, thats a hard decision, HE-560 or wife
basshead.gif
 , kidding aside, you have a dedicated media room which I would love to have.

So would you make the trade? Wait a minute, I just thought of this, you already have Hawaii mate!

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #16,717 of 21,171
  StanD is a highly experienced electrical engineer so you might be asked to explain technically how these effects take place. I would be curious to know if there is any proof such effects even if measureable are audible. There is often a huge difference between what we can measure and what we can hear.

Especially with headphones - as it's also proven that we can hear with more than just our ears (bone conductance and skin) at least to some very rudimentary effect. However - headphones and in-ears might not expose other parts of your body than your ears.

So some people might be able to hear a specific frequency when played from a large speaker - but not form a headphone. Sometimes it's psychoaccoustics and we "feel" something and think we hear it. Our brain is quite good at that, messing around with things.

But shouldn't all this stuff be discussed in the sound science forum?

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #16,718 of 21,171

But shouldn't all this stuff be discussed in the sound science forum?

Technically yes, but I find it odd that the people who make the claims are never told they should post in the sound science forum, just those of us who suggest that people think about the subject from a different approach. Still, I get it, and I do try to resist the OT pointless debates, but it does get a little frustrating (the double standard).

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #16,721 of 21,171
  Technically yes, but I find it odd that the people who make the claims are never told they should post in the sound science forum, just those of us who suggest that people think about the subject from a different approach. Still, I get it, and I do try to resist the OT pointless debates, but it does get a little frustrating (the double standard).

Yeah I feel like moving every non-subjective statement to a different forum just advocates for creating two versions of each thread. So then there's the subjectivist HE-560 thread and the objectivist version. Both turning in to echo chambers where ideas won't be challenged and no one gains any perspective.

Why do people dislike debates on forums so much? I feel like everyone here can make their points in a civil manner and I don't think I've ever seen a debate come to personal insults here.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #16,722 of 21,171
  Yeah I feel like moving every non-subjective statement to a different forum just advocates for creating two versions of each thread. So then there's the subjectivist HE-560 thread and the objectivist version. Both turning in to echo chambers where ideas won't be challenged and no one gains any perspective.

Why do people dislike debates on forums so much? I feel like everyone here can make their points in a civil manner and I don't think I've ever seen a debate come to personal insults here.

Thankfully it's been a while, however, insults have been flung about in the past, on this and other threads. It would be nice if such things stay in the past.

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #16,723 of 21,171
What do you guys think of trading in my HE560 to the Edition X? would it make a lot of difference in terms of sound? I have not heard the Edition X as no retailers here bring them in. Are they like mini HE1000 minus the metal build?

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #16,724 of 21,171
  What do you guys think of trading in my HE560 to the Edition X? would it make a lot of difference in terms of sound? I have not heard the Edition X as no retailers here bring them in. Are they like mini HE1000 minus the metal build?

I've posed a similar question in the past and it seems if you like the general sound signature of the 560, the X will probably not be for you. Apparently it's a much smoother sound signature than the more energetic 560. I'm sure others here have had more first hand experience though who can speak on more certain terms about it.

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #16,725 of 21,171

To me they were like the HE-1k with treble roll off, less soundstage and easier to drive. To be honest, I had the Edition X at home for 3 weeks altogether and I wasn't tempted to buy it - I got a great offer - but I am quite happy and content with my HE-560. I wouldn't say the Edition X is not better, but it's sound signature isn't that different that I think I really need to have it.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back