= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 5, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #14,926 of 21,175

Well, be that as it may, you are most certainly in the minority on this issue and the first to say this that I have come across. Different strokes for different folks as they say. Cheers.

True that. Let's say it ain't impossible. I love the Crack+Speedball though, to the point of prefering that HE-560 pairing even though it's not supposed to work well at all with that amp, so that may also be tubes-related.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #14,927 of 21,175
  True that. Let's say it ain't impossible. I love the Crack+Speedball though, to the point of prefering that HE-560 pairing even though it's not supposed to work well at all with that amp, so that may also be tubes-related.

Just tried my HE-560 with BH Crack, bass was a little flabby, highs and mids not to bad compared to Lyr2 so I'm thinking its tube related as you suggested, what tubes are you using in the BH Crack?  I currently have a TS-5998 and Amperx BB.

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #14,929 of 21,175
Katz, if I remember from his post on Tyll's site, RAVED about the Gustard...
(but, he hated the HE-1000, so he may be a great mix/master/recorder, but I don't always agree on gear...)

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #14,931 of 21,175

Not the first person I've heard against the H10.

You're a heretic, burn at the stake!
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #14,932 of 21,175
I took advantage of the year-end sale and got a pair of HE-560. Not a happy camper here. For one thing I got some old stock, the original wooden box and the coax style connectors. I didn't care about that but as soon as I listened to them I could hear something scratching in the left side. I could hear a mild rattle in the right side as well but the left was very obvious, not just on deep bass but piano notes as well. I know you're supposed to burn them in for 150 hours but I don't think they're supposed to have a rattle out of the box. I ran them for 24 hours and tried again but it's still there, not diminished at all. I checked for loose screws under the earpads and checked for gaps around the earpads and there is none. I guess I will send them back but I'm not sure I want to exchange or refund. I like the level of detail I'm hearing and I know planars get better over time, but I'm not happy with the quality control.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #14,933 of 21,175
  I took advantage of the year-end sale and got a pair of HE-560. Not a happy camper here. For one thing I got some old stock, the original wooden box and the coax style connectors. I didn't care about that but as soon as I listened to them I could hear something scratching in the left side. I could hear a mild rattle in the right side as well but the left was very obvious, not just on deep bass but piano notes as well. I know you're supposed to burn them in for 150 hours but I don't think they're supposed to have a rattle out of the box. I ran them for 24 hours and tried again but it's still there, not diminished at all. I checked for loose screws under the earpads and checked for gaps around the earpads and there is none. I guess I will send them back but I'm not sure I want to exchange or refund. I like the level of detail I'm hearing and I know planars get better over time, but I'm not happy with the quality control.

You're were definitely unlucky. Certainly not supposed to rattle, burn-in or not. I'd say exchange and if the second pair still isn't up to snuff, then go for refund. Who knows, maybe you'll get the 2.5mm connectors in the exchange.

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #14,934 of 21,175
I had the same problem with a new HE-560 on the left channel. I wrote to Hifiman customer support  and after describing the problems ( also one connector had a screwing problem), they send me a new one.It was the new model.

So good luck!

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #14,935 of 21,175
When I've had any problems with Hifiman, they have been very helpful and quick to respond.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #14,936 of 21,175
Further testing and there is definitely something wrong with the left element, the high frequencies are attenuated and I'm guessing a voice coil trace is not attached properly. So back they will go. I got them from Amazon if that makes any difference.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #14,937 of 21,175
Amazon is also incredibly easy to deal with, I had a problem with Koss ESP 950 I bought from them, called, the replacement was at my house before I had a chance to box the 950's.

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #14,939 of 21,175
  Further testing and there is definitely something wrong with the left element, the high frequencies are attenuated and I'm guessing a voice coil trace is not attached properly. So back they will go. I got them from Amazon if that makes any difference.

You'll be guaranteed to get the new version if you go through HiFiMan directly. Expect to pay return shipping, though.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #14,940 of 21,175
I just received my HE-560 yesterday. I ordered them through Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon) three days ago from an authorized Hifiman dealer who was still selling them for the $699 Black Friday sale price. There were a couple other dealers at Amazon also selling the headphones for a few dollars less but were not authorized dealers.  All the other authorized dealers were selling them for $899. The dealer I ordered them from immediately changed the price back to $899 after I ordered mine from them.

I was concerned that if I didn't go through an authorized dealer, I would end up with old stock with the screw in connectors or maybe a previously returned item. I absolutely didn't want to deal with that.  Well they were shipped directly from Hifiman brand new and I got the plug-in cables I wanted.

I've listened to them for about ninety minutes and I can't believe how clear they are with respect to being able to pick out the location of the instruments on stage as though I was sitting in the middle of the orchestra/band as they were playing the songs. I found myself laughing to myself in amazement at times during some songs because I could easily imagine myself in the front row watching the performance and visualize the location of each instrument. That's so cool.

I also got the 400i during Black Friday and I feel like I'm in headphone heaven....if there is such a thing...with these two Hifiman HPs. I"m listening to genres of music I had never had a desire to listen to and loving every second of it.

I just hope that the reputation that Made in China products seem to have doesn't come back to bite me in the you-know-what....I've already had a cable that came apart right out of the box of my new 400i, which Hifiman replaced quickly. Because of that, and other QC issues I've read about, I went out and bought a three year extended warranty on the 400i just in case.

EDITED TO ADD:
I have only used my Macbook Air and FiiO E12 so far with the 560. Later on when I get the time, I'll hook them up to my Modi/Magni 2 uber stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back