= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 7, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #14,956 of 21,176

Beautiful pairing. You will love it. I don't have the WA6SE but heard it with the 560 on a meet. I loved the combination.

Cheers,
K

Great! We will also get the Ifi idsd micro, to upgrade from my Apogee Quartet I'm using as a dac. I've downloaded DSD files, and I can really hear a huge difference between flac and dsd, in my current set up. Will iDsd will also make a difference in sound?

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #14,957 of 21,176
  Great! We will also get the Ifi idsd micro, to upgrade from my Apogee Quartet I'm using as a dac. I've downloaded DSD files, and I can really hear a huge difference between flac and dsd, in my current set up. Will iDsd will also make a difference in sound?

That's pretty funny but that particular setup had the iDSD micro as DAC. But I have never head the Apogee Quartet...

I use the HE-560 often with my own iDSD micro as DAC and amp and like it a lot. 

However, I have my 560 equipped with the Hifiman leather pads, the pads make a noticeable difference in sound and I prefer the leather pads, I have the Focus and Focus-A pads as well. 

Cheers,
K

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #14,958 of 21,176
I found a measurement between the focus pads a vs focus pads on jerg's mod thread and it seems like the sibilance I was hearing at 10khz which I had to tone it down was normal for the focus pads. I was worried that there was something wrong because nobody else mentioned about it, only the 4khz peak which I have no problem with. Had a doubt about HiFiMan's QC for a while, but this seems to prove it is normal if anyone else is having the same problem. It looks like Focus-a pads are more balanced throughout the highs which I would love to hear someday. http://www.head-fi.org/t/738912/he-560-enhancement-mod-v1-5/255

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #14,959 of 21,176

That's pretty funny but that particular setup had the iDSD micro as DAC. But I have never head the Apogee Quartet...

I use the HE-560 often with my own iDSD micro as DAC and amp and like it a lot. 

However, I have my 560 equipped with the Hifiman leather pads, the pads make a noticeable difference in sound and I prefer the leather pads, I have the Focus and Focus-A pads as well. 

Cheers,
K

Interesting, what is the advantage of the leather pads, according to you, over Focus and Focus pad A? I just still buy me both, their condition has become lamentable.

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #14,960 of 21,176
Interesting, what is the advantage of the leather pads, according to you, over Focus and Focus pad A? I just still buy me both, their condition has become lamentable.

Two of my friends and I prefer the leather pads on our 560. I have all hifiman pads (tried them all with the he-400 then got the 560). Leather pad brings out the bass nicely and makes the whole sound signature a tad fuller and richer. You do loose a bit of soundstage though. For $20 I recommend everyone to try the leather pads (they are not real leather but protein leather). They might feel a bit cheap but for me the sound quality and the improvements make that an easy trade off.

Cheers,
K

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #14,961 of 21,176
OK, after listening to both the 560 and 400i side by side (Rock, Classical, Pop,) there is definitely a difference between them.

It  seems to me to be much easier to locate the individual instruments during a song and to place them on stage with the 560. The 560 seems to have a little more treble with a little less bass than the 400i. But definitely both sound simlilar in some instances of the same song. The soundstage seems wider to me with the 560.

The biggest differences to me are how each individual instrument stands out more with the 560 when listening to songs. It just seems to make it a lot easier to hear and locate each one as if I were in the audience sitting in the first row watching them play.

There's definitely a little more bass with the 400i and seems to not be as bright in treble as the 560. The soundstage is more narrow on the 400i imo.

Both headphones are outstanding. I like them both a lot. l really like the sound of the 400i which seems to have that little extra bass to it and just the way the music sounds from it. But after hearing a headphone produce such definition and clarity with each instrument like the 560 does and it's stage presence, I don't think I would want to give them up in exchange for the 400i.

I'm certain I will keep both and I'm quite certain at this point that I have completed my very small collection of great headphones each of which I really do like a bunch. 

As of now I am in headphone heaven, and thanks to this website and all the great information here, I have probably the nicest set of headphones that I'll ever need.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no need for me to ever try and chase after any more nuances of sound that could be had through modifications or anything else. Actually, this quest to get back into music has been so much fun, but sort of tiring(in a good way) too.  But that journey is now over for me.

Now it's time for me to take advantage of the four headphones I bought myself on this great journey to rediscover how great music can sound when you have good equipment, and most importantly for me, to not second guess myself about my choice of headphones.....just enjoy them. 

BTW, I was listening through my new Macbook AIr and the FiiO E12 amp.

Thanks, everyone for all your help! 
o2smile.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #14,962 of 21,176
^ Great to get your impressions, thanks mate.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #14,963 of 21,176
^ very refreshing to read what I experienced too when I got mine. Still love these headphones. If you want to add a bit of bass, leather pads are only $20 from hifiman and they add it,more impact and details down low.

Cheers,
K

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #14,964 of 21,176
^ very refreshing to read what I experienced too when I got mine. Still love these headphones. If you want to add a bit of bass, leather pads are only $20 from hifiman and they add it,more impact and details down low.

Cheers,
K

Are these the same ones that come with the older models? like HE-400?

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #14,965 of 21,176

Are these the same ones that come with the older models? like HE-400?

Not sure, if I remember correctly then they look slightly updated. They also have a foam ring inside between the ring and the pad, ca't remember if I saw this in the old one on the HE-400. I can check though but must go into the basement into storage and find the old packaging of the HE-400 where the old pads live :wink:

Can do so in a while.

cheers,
K

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #14,966 of 21,176

Not sure, if I remember correctly then they look slightly updated. They also have a foam ring inside between the ring and the pad, ca't remember if I saw this in the old one on the HE-400. I can check though but must go into the basement into storage and find the old packaging of the HE-400 where the old pads live :wink:

Can do so in a while.

cheers,
K

Thanks
take your time, no rush.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #14,967 of 21,176

I'm glad you bought them :)
They're one of those headphones that really won't do you any wrong.

In regards to your questions:

1) Mojo pairs phenomenally with the HE-560. It has enough juice to drive it to adequate volumes. Heck, the Mojo also sounds good with the HD800s. Must be some sort of magic Chord worked.
The Mojo is detailed, relatively neutral, and certainly serves as an excellent solution (portable as well) to driving the HE-560 in the office or even at home.

2) I'm not a stickler for perfect DSD/DXD files. I'll admit I listen to as many 320kpbs files as the next person. The HE-560 sounds great even out of my Sansa Clip + if you can believe it (Max volume)
My music preferences range from electronica, alternative, rock, r&b, hip hop, to classical. So yes, I do listen to "modern" music.

Lastly, I definitely don't think the HE-560 is sterile. Even on extremely flat/neutral sources, I found the HE-560 to be very enjoyable. They definitely are airy and detailed enough. Soundstage isn't massive, but a clear improvement over the HE400i. 

Wish you the best of luck! I'll think you'll fall in love with them. Just don't be like me and purchase the HE-1000 later on 
atsmile.gif

This is really helpful information - thank you!

I'm a proud owner of HE-560s that my wife bought me for Christmas and am now looking for a DAC/Amp combo. Would you recommend the Chord Mojo over the iDSD Micro? I was worried about the output power on the Mojo, but am happy to read that you think it is a great pairing. All I have right now is an Oppo HA-2 and it is clearly lacking in power for these cans. I can't find any specs on how much power the Mojo can put out at 50 ohms, but the HA-2 is rather shy at this resistance and sensitivity. It does not get loud enough. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks!

-Collin-

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #14,968 of 21,176
This is really helpful information - thank you!

I'm a proud owner of HE-560s that my wife bought me for Christmas and am now looking for a DAC/Amp combo. Would you recommend the Chord Mojo over the iDSD Micro? I was worried about the output power on the Mojo, but am happy to read that you think it is a great pairing. All I have right now is an Oppo HA-2 and it is clearly lacking in power for these cans. I can't find any specs on how much power the Mojo can put out at 50 ohms, but the HA-2 is rather shy at this resistance and sensitivity. It does not get loud enough. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks!

-Collin-

Project Polaris does very well by my HE-500. I've never heard the HE-560 though.

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #14,969 of 21,176
I've used the RSA-HR2. MicorZOTL2, and the Liquid Carbon (some of these should show up used at some point), all do well by the 560...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back