= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 6, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #14,942 of 21,176

I also got the 400i during Black Friday and I feel like I'm in headphone heaven....if there is such a thing...with these two Hifiman HPs. I"m listening to genres of music I had never had a desire to listen to and loving every second of it.

I owned an HE 560 for a year sold them simply to try a new sound signature, and now have recently enough gotten an HE 400i. Going from memory the 400i is pretty darn close to the 560 in terms of technical ability, but I would be interested in your take on this as you have both on hand to compare.

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #14,943 of 21,176
I have no problems with the old connectors, they stay put no matter what...but if you are into switching cables, I guess it matters. Congrats on your new HE-560.

Thank you.

I owned an HE 560 for a year sold them simply to try a new sound signature, and now have recently enough gotten an HE 400i. Going from memory the 400i is pretty darn close to the 560 in terms of technical ability, but I would be interested in your take on this as you have both on hand to compare.

I will compare them and post my impressions of how they compare or differ to one another. I'm not very good yet at describing what I'm hearing so I'll apologize in advance for my lack of being able to put audio sounds into hifi language.

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #14,944 of 21,176
After reading the last few post I went back and spent a short time with my HE-400i and HE-560.
HE-560 is smoother in the highs with a little better extension, mids are slightly more forward than HE-400i, mid bass is better on HE-560 with better definition but HE-400i has more weight and goes a little lower.

Note that both are the old style connector and have grill mod and the ear pads sealed to metal ring.  Used Bifrost with Lyr2 and Ember.  Also, HE-400i sounds better on Ember, HE-560 better on Lyr2.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #14,945 of 21,176
^ Interesting, so it seems you would agree with my earlier musing that the 400i was actually pretty darn close to the 560 overall? Now we will see what rwscpa feels after comparing them.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #14,946 of 21,176
  ^ Interesting, so it seems you would agree with my earlier musing that the 400i was actually pretty darn close to the 560 overall? Now we will see what rwscpa feels after comparing them.

Pretty close but different enough to keep both, the HE-560 does classical and most jazz so much better, the HE-400i does pop better most of the time.  I think another thing to consider is the rest of the chain, tried to make it as fair as possible and used Telefunken CCa's in both Ember and Lyr2 but the Lyr2 drives the HE-560 better, better sound stage, more extended highs, smoother mids and better defined bass. 

If I only had the Ember then the HE-400i is a much better value, having the Lyr2 makes the HE-560 better than the 400i to justify the price difference IMO.  Also, when I heard the HE-560 on my friends system a few months ago it was big step up from the 400i, AudioGD Master7, Liquid Gold amp.

In some ways its like HD-800 vs HD-650/700 where the rest of your system plays a part of which you might prefer.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #14,947 of 21,176
Pretty close but different enough to keep both, the HE-560 does classical and most jazz so much better, the HE-400i does pop better most of the time.  I think another thing to consider is the rest of the chain, tried to make it as fair as possible and used Telefunken CCa's in both Ember and Lyr2 but the Lyr2 drives the HE-560 better, better sound stage, more extended highs, smoother mids and better defined bass. 

If I only had the Ember then the HE-400i is a much better value, having the Lyr2 makes the HE-560 better than the 400i to justify the price difference IMO.  Also, when I heard the HE-560 on my friends system a few months ago it was big step up from the 400i, AudioGD Master7, Liquid Gold amp.

In some ways its like HD-800 vs HD-650/700 where the rest of your system plays a part of which you might prefer.
Totally agree with this. I will note also that when I upgraded to multibit Dac, really took my 560's & other cans to another level. These are very capable phones. I really feel a lot of discredit they get is because their not being feed the right stuff.

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #14,953 of 21,176
Hello Friends, 
I currently have a system of AKG 702 and Woo6se amp. I'm a professional jazz drummer and my wife a is professional classical bassist. I had bought the 702s to hear the cymbals in most neutral way possible, but my wife says weak bass of the AKG is not a neutral sound, it's just weak. I agree with her. 

We would like to buy a new set of headphones. Still would like the most natural, neutral, accurate headphone, through out the whole spectrum. It needs to be texturally detailed for upright bass in jazz and upright, and ride cymbals. We were looking into purchasing HE560. Would this be a good pairing with Woo6se? Is He560 what I'm looking for?

Thank you for your input!

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #14,954 of 21,176
Thank you for links. Really appreciate it.
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #14,955 of 21,176
  Hello Friends, 
I currently have a system of AKG 702 and Woo6se amp. I'm a professional jazz drummer and my wife a is professional classical bassist. I had bought the 702s to hear the cymbals in most neutral way possible, but my wife says weak bass of the AKG is not a neutral sound, it's just weak. I agree with her. 

We would like to buy a new set of headphones. Still would like the most natural, neutral, accurate headphone, through out the whole spectrum. It needs to be texturally detailed for upright bass in jazz and upright, and ride cymbals. We were looking into purchasing HE560. Would this be a good pairing with Woo6se? Is He560 what I'm looking for?

Thank you for your input!

Beautiful pairing. You will love it. I don't have the WA6SE but heard it with the 560 on a meet. I loved the combination.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back