= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 12, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #14,746 of 21,175
Hey guys,

I've just recently decided to get into headphones after a home theater guy forever.  I've always appreciated good sound quality, so after researching on here quite a bit picked up some he560s and a lyr headphone amp.  The lyr came with mullard tubes from the previous owners, and everything has been thoroughly burned in IMO.

I also own sennheiser momentum 2s and listened to my flac collection through a decent DAC on my pc and thought they sounded great, but figured the he560s and lyr had to be a huge step up, right?  Well, it could be I'm just not as much an audiophile as I thought but I just don't hear much of an improvement considering the money I've spent.  I know there is a point of diminishing returns, but I thought that would at a higher price point, like in the multi-thousands.  

So, I'm now thinking of selling the 560s and going with maybe a lower priced headphone like the AKG k712 or even the he400s, although the clamping force seems a bit much with hifimans in general for me, so maybe another brand my be more up my alley.  

So am I missing something?  Could it be that $300 headphone sounds barely better than my $900 he560s?  Maybe another brand would "wow" me and really suck me into this hobby?

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #14,747 of 21,175
Never listened momentum's but had HD 600 few years to me HE 560 sounds significantly better, and significantly better then my other phones (DT 880, Philips X2). Today i sold HD 600 and i will probably sell other phones also.
I guess sound signature is not to your liking?

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #14,748 of 21,175

Hey guys,

I've just recently decided to get into headphones after a home theater guy forever.  I've always appreciated good sound quality, so after researching on here quite a bit picked up some he560s and a lyr headphone amp.  The lyr came with mullard tubes from the previous owners, and everything has been thoroughly burned in IMO.

I also own sennheiser momentum 2s and listened to my flac collection through a decent DAC on my pc and thought they sounded great, but figured the he560s and lyr had to be a huge step up, right?  Well, it could be I'm just not as much an audiophile as I thought but I just don't hear much of an improvement considering the money I've spent.  I know there is a point of diminishing returns, but I thought that would at a higher price point, like in the multi-thousands.  

So, I'm now thinking of selling the 560s and going with maybe a lower priced headphone like the AKG k712 or even the he400s, although the clamping force seems a bit much with hifimans in general for me, so maybe another brand my be more up my alley.  

So am I missing something?  Could it be that $300 headphone sounds barely better than my $900 he560s?  Maybe another brand would "wow" me and really suck me into this hobby?

Actually I had the same problem as you. 

That was more than a year ago - I bought HE-560 and did not see noticable difference with my good old Bayers DT-990 Pro. I mean, the signature was different but I just could not understand what I did pay such money for. 

I also wanted to sell HE-560, but was advised to let the cans burn in. I do not believe in headphones burn in, but I do believe in 'brain burn in". 

In a few months my brain burned in, got accustomed to the HE-560 and now I hear huge difference between them and my DT990 (250 Om). 

I mean sound quality of HE-560 is much higher

*still love, keep and often use DT990 though, they are fun and forgiving :)

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #14,749 of 21,175
  Actually I had the same problem as you. 
  That was more than a year ago - I bought HE-560 and did not see noticable difference with my good old Bayers DT-990 Pro. I mean, the signature was different but I just could not understand what I did pay such money for. 

I also wanted to sell HE-560, but was advised to let the cans burn in. I do not believe in headphones burn in, but I do believe in 'brain burn in". 

In a few months my brain burned in, got accustomed to the HE-560 and now I hear huge difference between them and my DT990 (250 Om). 

I mean sound quality of HE-560 is much higher
  *still love, keep and often use DT990 though, they are fun and forgiving
smily_headphones1.gif

Same deal here with DT 880 Pro, although it only took a few days. The HE-560 is clearly in a different league, and the difference isn't subtle.

A phrase I've heard is "mid-fi purgatory", often in reference to the mid-priced cans like the DT-series and other stuff in the $200-500 range. I know what they mean, now.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #14,750 of 21,175
Improvements are minor and sometimes taste related. I can still go back to my portable set up and older rig without missing a lot. Except for my dac, it's golden. But I put on my old q701s every once and a while and I still like them a lot. Same for the focals and amperiors. Usually i sweat a tiny upgrade to suit my preferences or tailor the sound because i just want to. If you're happy , why waste the money?

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #14,751 of 21,175
  Never listened momentum's but had HD 600 few years to me HE 560 sounds significantly better, and significantly better then my other phones (DT 880, Philips X2). Today i sold HD 600 and i will probably sell other phones also.
I guess sound signature is not to your liking?

Agreed.

I also own the HD650's and much prefer the sound of the HE560's.
Personal taste.

Mike

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #14,752 of 21,175
There is more grain in the mid-fi headphones category and less sub-bass rumble that you get from a good planar. When listening to the bass transients in really complex and fast attacking music can cause distortion and muddy sound.

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #14,753 of 21,175
  Hey guys,

I see your problem. It is "lyr" + 560. I had the exact same combo and thought my Philips X1 were superior - that was until I moved to IFI IDSD Micro. I know that Lyr has tons of power but it fails to pair well with the 560. I even replaced the tubes on the Lyr, but it didnt help much. The IDSD has lower power but the sound is extremely tight, and controlled - Also as mentioned above you are still probably getting used to the 560 sound - give it a few weeks, and you will see how much better it is.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #14,754 of 21,175
I see your problem. It is "lyr" + 560. I had the exact same combo and thought my Philips X1 were superior - that was until I moved to IFI IDSD Micro. I know that Lyr has tons of power but it fails to pair well with the 560. I even replaced the tubes on the Lyr, but it didnt help much. The IDSD has lower power but the sound is extremely tight, and controlled - Also as mentioned above you are still probably getting used to the 560 sound - give it a few weeks, and you will see how much better it is.

I say try the Chord Mojo!

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #14,755 of 21,175
  Hey guys,

Definitely give the 560s timer to burn in. The packaging recommends 150 hours, i know after 100 hours my 560s sound like totally different headphones (i was a little underwhelmed when i opened them first too)

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #14,756 of 21,175
I'm really tempted to pick these up.  I loved the bass on the HE400 but hated the treble.  The HE-500 were absolutely astonishing to me but I had to sell them a while back.  I currently have an HD-800 and while I love the large soundstage and detail, it doesn't really have that intimacy that I had with the HE-500.

I've been hearing that the HE-400i was supposed to be based off of the HE-500 and the 560 is the successor.  Is the HE-560 for me? 

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #14,757 of 21,175
  I'm really tempted to pick these up.  I loved the bass on the HE400 but hated the treble.  The HE-500 were absolutely astonishing to me but I had to sell them a while back.  I currently have an HD-800 and while I love the large soundstage and detail, it doesn't really have that intimacy that I had with the HE-500.

I've been hearing that the HE-400i was supposed to be based off of the HE-500 and the 560 is the successor.  Is the HE-560 for me? 

Based on that short description, I'll say yes. To my ears, the HE-560 has quite a good sound stage (though not as large as the HD800 I'd imagine) and is very detailed. It's got satisfying but not overdone bass as well. I really like my set.

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #14,758 of 21,175
  Definitely give the 560s timer to burn in. The packaging recommends 150 hours, i know after 100 hours my 560s sound like totally different headphones (i was a little underwhelmed when i opened them first too)

I found the treble to be brittle and dry through the ifi unit, though bass was extended. I remember getting the he560 and thinking it wasn't great at first, but you really have to give them some time. Also please try focus A pads before thinking of selling them. I found the sound of the focus pads not so great. I makes the 4k peak strong, and the bass is more one note type of texture.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #14,759 of 21,175
I found the treble to be brittle and dry through the ifi unit, though bass was extended. I remember getting the he560 and thinking it wasn't great at first, but you really have to give them some time. Also please try focus A pads before thinking of selling them. I found the sound of the focus pads not so great. I makes the 4k peak strong, and the bass is more one note type of texture.

Where can I purchase some focus A pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back