= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 22, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #14,776 of 21,179
Since gaming is your focus, you should check the thread started by mad lust envy. That guy has tried everything.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #14,777 of 21,179
Since gaming is your focus, you should check the thread started by mad lust envy. That guy has tried everything.

I've poured over it obsessively.  Unfortunately there is no direct review or comparison by him of the 560's.  If there was I'd of probably ordered them already because I pretty much take the dudes word as gospel on virtual surround headphones.  

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #14,778 of 21,179
Hello all.

TLDR is A. has anyone used these with the Creative X7 and B. is the soundstage good enough for virtual surround.  

I'm looking for a replacement set of headphones for my HD598s.  I'm going to be running off of a Creative X7 DAC/Amp.  Supposed to be one of the better external sound cards available if not the best.

Reason for this sound card is SBX (Virtual Surround) is a pretty large usage point for me with these headphones.  Going to be playing a lot of CoD, single players games, movies and what not through these.  Music will be listened to as well but not the priority.  I suppose I'm a man of specific tastes but I really want to get my game sound on at the highest (semi-affordable) level.

Anyway I've gone through considering quite a few new headphones.  Recently the AKG 712 pros, HD 700s, Shure 1840's etc.  Each has kind of a critical flaw and unfortunately the HD800 and AKG 812 are a little more then I want to spend.  Anyway my concern with the planars is soundstage.  I'm fairly certain these will sound great but I'm not all that confident in how well they do with positional audio.  Height width depth the whole thing.  

I recently got a pretty strong recommendation for these including with my specific usage so they are now being considered.  Would like some thoughts on them for what I'll be doing.
I'd look elsewhere, don't know if you'll get what these phones are capable of with that setup.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #14,779 of 21,179
  Hello all.

TLDR is A. has anyone used these with the Creative X7 and B. is the soundstage good enough for virtual surround.  

I'm looking for a replacement set of headphones for my HD598s.  I'm going to be running off of a Creative X7 DAC/Amp.  Supposed to be one of the better external sound cards available if not the best.

Reason for this sound card is SBX (Virtual Surround) is a pretty large usage point for me with these headphones.  Going to be playing a lot of CoD, single players games, movies and what not through these.  Music will be listened to as well but not the priority.  I suppose I'm a man of specific tastes but I really want to get my game sound on at the highest (semi-affordable) level.

Anyway I've gone through considering quite a few new headphones.  Recently the AKG 712 pros, HD 700s, Shure 1840's etc.  Each has kind of a critical flaw and unfortunately the HD800 and AKG 812 are a little more then I want to spend.  Anyway my concern with the planars is soundstage.  I'm fairly certain these will sound great but I'm not all that confident in how well they do with positional audio.  Height width depth the whole thing.  

I recently got a pretty strong recommendation for these including with my specific usage so they are now being considered.  Would like some thoughts on them for what I'll be doing.

May I ask why you passed on the HD700's for gaming? Just curious because I have one, and have found it pretty good for gaming with Creative's virtual surround sound solution. (I have an X-Fi sound card.)

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #14,780 of 21,179

What is the critical flaw of these headphones for gaming (and what are you looking for in headphones for gaming [competitive advantage or fun or a combination of both?])? If the K702 is anything like my K702-65, it should be GREAT for gaming (fun and competitive), especially with an X7. I can't tell you what gaming is like with the HE-560, but I personally wouldn't buy a pair that expensive just for gaming; I just don't think you'd get full value out of them.

That said, the HE-560 is on my wish list and I would definitely use it for gaming, but not primarily for gaming. I really, really like my K702-65 for gaming using a relatively cheap Xonar U7 external sound card.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #14,781 of 21,179

May I ask why you passed on the HD700's for gaming? Just curious because I have one, and have found it pretty good for gaming with Creative's virtual surround sound solution. (I have an X-Fi sound card.)

I haven't completely.  The treble spike is what has me concerned.  Specifically becoming hard to listen to during long sessions.

What is the critical flaw of these headphones for gaming (and what are you looking for in headphones for gaming [competitive advantage or fun or a combination of both?])? If the K702 is anything like my K702-65, it should be GREAT for gaming (fun and competitive), especially with an X7. I can't tell you what gaming is like with the HE-560, but I personally wouldn't buy a pair that expensive just for gaming; I just don't think you'd get full value out of them.

That said, the HE-560 is on my wish list and I would definitely use it for gaming, but not primarily for gaming. I really, really like my K702-65 for gaming using a relatively cheap Xonar U7 external sound card.

To be quite honest I make good money and I want a new toy.  And I want it to be a really nice toy.

For the HD700 the treble spike has me spooked.  The AKG 712's nothing seems to be really wrong with them but whenever I ask people no one seems to be ultra enthused about them.  The 1840's seem to be lacking in bass based off my reading.

I have HD 598's now which are great for gaming.  I want better details and bass that is a bit throatier.  In a nutshell.

Also I'll be doing plenty of movie watching with these as well as a bit of music here and there.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #14,782 of 21,179
@jthom320 I see where you are coming from. The HD700 can be somewhat painful to listen to for long periods of time, though I personally don't find that to be usually so.

I personally don't have the HE-560, but I know that @conquerator2 used to have the HE-560 which he did game with. Perhaps he can chime in on this thread, or you could PM him to see what he thinks.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #14,783 of 21,179
I indeed had that very setup.
I would not recommend running the 560 directly off the X7, at least with stock opamps.
The stock opamps are bright. You would want to buy some warm ones. There is a useful comparison in the X7 thread :)
Still, I would suggest adding a warm SS or tube amp after the X7.
The DAC is decent, though if you have a PC nearby the X7 also works with external DACs if one so desires. I really liked the 560 with R2R DACs in general plus a warmer SS amp ( or a tube/hybrid/transistor amp, which I have yet to try :))
Hope this helps :D

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #14,784 of 21,179

To be quite honest I make good money and I want a new toy.  And I want it to be a really nice toy.

For the HD700 the treble spike has me spooked.  The AKG 712's nothing seems to be really wrong with them but whenever I ask people no one seems to be ultra enthused about them.  The 1840's seem to be lacking in bass based off my reading.

I have HD 598's now which are great for gaming.  I want better details and bass that is a bit throatier.  In a nutshell.

Also I'll be doing plenty of movie watching with these as well as a bit of music here and there.

Gotcha, well let us know how you like them if you go that route. I'm ultra-enthused about the K702-65 for gaming, music, movies, FWIW. Great sound stage, balanced across the board.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #14,785 of 21,179
  Gotcha, well let us know how you like them if you go that route. I'm ultra-enthused about the K702-65 for gaming, music, movies, FWIW. Great sound stage, balanced across the board.

I realize I sound kind of douchey there I don't mean to I've just been questioned on why I'm going higher end several times.  I just want a set of headphones that's going to blow my socks off!

The 712 I"ve read is extremely similar to the 702 it's still on my radar.  I almost think maybe I'm reading too many opinions/reviews because this decision feels like it's gotten more difficult over the last three days or so I've been researching.

A guy whose opinion I trust is telling me that I'll love the HD700 so I think I may actually be leaning back towards it but if anyone does have experience with the 560 and virtual surround I would still love some opinions.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #14,786 of 21,179
Stop beating around the bush, just get the HE-1000!

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #14,788 of 21,179
You want end game? If I ever get off my duff, will sell off all my other headphones (already sold Senn 650 and AKG 701, anyone want an HE-560?)
Does need a decent amp, but, then again, so does the 650 (and the Senn 560).

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #14,789 of 21,179
I realize I sound kind of douchey there I don't mean to I've just been questioned on why I'm going higher end several times.  I just want a set of headphones that's going to blow my socks off!

The 712 I"ve read is extremely similar to the 702 it's still on my radar.  I almost think maybe I'm reading too many opinions/reviews because this decision feels like it's gotten more difficult over the last three days or so I've been researching.

A guy whose opinion I trust is telling me that I'll love the HD700 so I think I may actually be leaning back towards it but if anyone does have experience with the 560 and virtual surround I would still love some opinions.

I didn't take it that way. This is an expensive hobby. I get it. Sounds like you may have to try a few pairs to see what you like best. There's really no other way to tell. Return or sell what you don't like.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #14,790 of 21,179
Comfort in gaming has to be a huge factor. Spatial clues I prefer in the akgs. The 560 is better for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back